Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 08:30 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't think anyone's said anything about Africans yet. I especially want to get the opinions of Bettafish and other China supporters on this. The thread I posted are based mostly on youtube videos which I mostly don't take seriously but I read from other sources that Africans living in Guanzhou face serious discrimination in recent years.
I get if the YouTube videos were parody or nonsense but I chose to post the videos because I'd rather not type. The only work I do is fact check the video. The videos are more grassroots and raw.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
How about a bit of common sense? The virus is not a bio-weapon. It was neither engineered in China nor the US. The US and China are each other’s largest trading partner. If one were to try and damage the other economically, it would directly affect the other. Plus, if I’m not mistaken, it’s already proven that the virus is naturally occurring.
I am not saying it was necessarily deliberate. It could have been someone infected without knowing it, who traveled to the Wuhan games.

And frankly, Trump has already done a lot to poison trade with China, and he had radical advisers such as Brannon and Bolton, people that are perfectly capable of committing genocides and who have already said that a war is the only thing that can keep China down now.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't think anyone's said anything about Africans yet. I especially want to get the opinions of Bettafish and other China supporters on this. The thread I posted are based mostly on youtube videos which I mostly don't take seriously but I read from other sources that Africans living in Guanzhou face serious discrimination in recent years.
Many Asians are racists, just like whites, especially when it comes to black people.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:03 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Many Asians are racists, just like whites, especially when it comes to black people.
And Hispanics. Many Asians hate us and they don't hide the fact. I don't even go to Asian restaurants anymore.

Not all Asians but definitely more so than whites. At least in my experience.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
And Hispanics. Many Asians hate us and they don't hide the fact. I don't even go to Asian restaurants anymore.

Not all Asians but definitely more so than whites. At least in my experience.
I suppose it is a general dislike of brown people. Asians, both East and South, traditionally try to be as pale as possible.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:19 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
I am not saying it was necessarily deliberate. It could have been someone infected without knowing it, who traveled to the Wuhan games.
There's no credible backing to this story, though; a few awkward middle-aged conspiracy theorists posted a video pinning it on a single DOD employee and that got a lot of traction in China for a week or so, until the government seemingly rolled back from pushing the conspiracy theories after the rest of the world started to react angrily. This is a good article breaking down the sloppy and quite obviously skewed "journalism" that breathed air into the conspiracy theories.

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-...box=1586327096

Quote:
And frankly, Trump has already done a lot to poison trade with China, and he had radical advisers such as Brannon and Bolton, people that are perfectly capable of committing genocides and who have already said that a war is the only thing that can keep China down now.
Not a Trump fan here, but, most of his actions against the CCP were due to their flagrantly-unfair business practices, political and industrial espionage, gaming global organizations and systems, etc - China basically poisoned the relationship itself, and made the grave miscalculation of believing its own hype. Regardless of what one's personal opinions of the US or their actions are, anyone should be able to look at the situation and see why they would act accordingly. Traditional statesmanship towards China had failed to yield results, so, he started hitting their economy, and it pretty much worked. The economy here was already in bad shape before this happened and now, with the rest of the world in turmoil, China is in in for a nasty hangover (I'm quite stressed about my own businesses, honestly). I'm interested to see the quarterly data when it's released this week. Analysts are forecasting a 10% GDP drop. China's attempts at a victory lap and earning warm fuzzies by donating or supplying PPE to other nations have been met with a lot of resistance abroad - for the most part, the rest of the world doesn't seem to be buying it, and haven't forgotten the pandemic's origins. Recent missteps like the currently-occuring anti-foreigner xenophobia in GZ are only serving to sour opinions further, especially in Africa and the developing world where the Belt and Road are supposed to hold the pants up in a situation just like this.

Knowingly releasing a virus into a civilian population would have likely resulted in war, and despite what people generally say about Trump, he's proven to be generally less warlike than his two most recent predecessors. The lack of a response in place to deal with the virus' inevitable spread back to the US and the resulting economic crash should be a pretty clear indicator that it wasn't likely spread maliciously.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I suppose it is a general dislike of brown people. Asians, both East and South, traditionally try to be as pale as possible.
Even beyond the skin tone itself, lots and lots of nasty things get said about Southeast and South Asians and their cultures and perceived "value" here. And the sad thing is that most people here sincerely do not see anything wrong with holding such prejudices... they react with blind outrage when they hear of anyone denigrating China, but don't seem to be able to draw a correlation between that, and they doing it to someone else.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:36 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:

It's not racism, it's just Americans learning the hard way they aren't worshipped all over the world for being brown/black/American, they're quite used to the superior treatment in both western and eastern europe but they go to China or Korea surprise comes up.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:37 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Edit

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 04-12-2020 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-12-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It's not racism, it's just Americans learning the hard way they aren't worshipped all over the world for being brown/black/American, they're quite used to the superior treatment in both western and eastern europe but they go to China or Korea surprise comes up.
What a phenomenally pointless statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia