Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey86 View Post
Right now with my kids I'm not planning on them going to church unless they just wanted to go but I don't see that happening until they get up older in school. Right now I'm just trying to teach them as much as I can about the stuff that I believe. They love science too, mostly the planets and space and I love to teach them about it. My four year old is interested in learning about the human body and how it really works. I just love how they want to learn about things and they don't just fall in line and believe in whatever. They always ask why and I think thats great.
Me too. When I was a kid Astronomy was my major passion. I also liked dinosaurs (kids do). I still do take an interest. I love the idea of letting them explore their interests. Books, internet. It's great for improving reading skills too. They love encouragement and the parents to show an interest in their interests.

If they do come home with some religion claims they've been fed. it's no harm to explain to them that there dozens of different religions so they are the inventions of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,713,942 times
I also wouldn't be afraid to teach them about a bunch of different religions. If they're brought up with Christianity being discussed on an equal level with Zoroastrianism, Greek Mythology, Grimm's stories and so on it takes away a lot of their power. It's also useful to have some basic understanding of how Christian sects differ among themselves as well to point out how variable the "absolute" truth of god is. They're bound to ask sooner or later, and having a "well some people believe X, others Y, and that's kind of similar to an older story with the same themes" is better than avoiding it and making it sound mysterious.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
I totally agree with catman, arequipa, and KC!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 AM

180 posts, read 217,116 times
Well i grew up in a christian school and in the church and whatever you do , DO NOT allow your kids to go to a christian school. This school taught false information and answered any unanswerable questions with "its just another mystery of god". They totally brainwashed me and i remember them talking about other beliefs , including atheism, and saying how silly it was for them not to believe in the truth. They NEVER gave us any other options , they just forced it down. They basically raped us with christianity. Luckily my parents had me change schools in the 7th grade or i may have forever been altered by the cult of christ. But i am in Mississippi so the other school i went to was still "christian" so i still heard alot of bs and they skipped evolution and the big bang theory and anything that may have made us think about the world in terms other than jesus.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Yes, my supposedly Christian private school also skipped over evolution. I will be hard pressed to send my children to private school. My husband was home schooled, and unless the public schools are dangerous or unless the teachers are terrible, we will NOT be doing that! I wish there were stellar, secular schools within our budget, but I am convinced that our kids will be fine if we take an interest in their education.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 PM

22 posts, read 25,042 times
Thanks you guys for all the suggestions, I think I will try to at least mention other religions as the kids get older. I plan on sending them to pubic school, all the schools here are very small. The one I went to only had 21 people in my graduating class. The down side is they all still are christian schools. The majority of the students and teachers are christian but I think it will be ok.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
When I really don't want to completely offend someone, but they get a bit pushy about 'come to our church', etc., etc., I tell them that "I really have a problem with organized religion, and its agenda, so thanks, but no thanks".

In reality, that is really my vocal stance against religion and belief in deities, etc. Keep it private and go about your business, but when those that follow any religion want to impose it on me, through laws, discrimination, or wars, then it is a problem.

If everyone treated their religion like their genitalia, and kept it private we're good, pull it out, wave it around, we have a problem.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
...and they skipped evolution and the big bang theory and anything that may have made us think about the world in terms other than jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Yes, my supposedly Christian private school also skipped over evolution.
I attended a private Christian school from 7th through 12th grade, and they skipped these subjects as well. If they hadn't, I'm sure some of the parents (like mine) would have complained very angrily! I had a public school 6th grade teacher teach me (very briefly) about the basic thought process behind evolution, but she didn't dare go into the details very much. I admire her for having the bravery to teach us even what little she did. It's risky business here in the south. To really learn about the TOE and the Big Bang, I had to teach myself on my own time.

P.S. In my high school, one of the biology teachers believed the dinosaurs weren't real and the bones were planted by Satan. Welcome to the south!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM

I agree. Having someone witness to me is annoying, unwelcomed, and obnoxious. I have in other places on this board enumerated my reasons for rejecting religion - all of them.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM

22 posts, read 25,042 times
I say that these people have helped because anytime that I mention even having the smallest doubt about god with my church going friends its like the conversation is pretty much through. They ask how I can possibly not believe and I shouldn't even think like that and that pushes me away even more. Its nice to be able to talk to people without being judged.

I'm not claiming to know where we going after we die I don't know, I believe that there isn't anything after we die. Before we are born I believe we are in nothingness, not before we are physical born but before we are even conceived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism