Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times

Advertisements

I think you're better off without friends with whom you can't mention your ideas without being berated. Perhaps you can all 'agree to disagree'. I don't believe there is anything but oblivion after we die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
struggling with beliefs

If ya shoot 'em in the foot, they don't struggle too hard - or - if you have no religious beliefs (other than god is a myth) there really is not a struggle.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 AM

22 posts, read 25,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think you're better off without friends with whom you can't mention your ideas without being berated. Perhaps you can all 'agree to disagree'. I don't believe there is anything but oblivion after we die.
Thats why I pretty much just stay around my family and thats it. If I happen to see someone I know and they start to talk to me I try to keep it as short as possible because I know that somewhere in the conversation they will ask what church I go to or talk about what a great sermon they had on Sunday.

The church that I grew up in turned their back on me when I got pregnant before I was married. It was a church of about 400 people and I thought they were my family. Then after I got pregnant there was only six people who would talk at me. If I ever see the others in town they turn their heads like they don't see me or some just look straight through me. Its not right to treat people like that. Most those people would go to the anti-abortion rallies but they wouldn't accept me for getting pregnant and keeping it. Thats when I started to lose faith and started looking at other religions.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
I only wish that you were surrounded by we goddless bastards who would take you for what you are and 'judge' would not even be in the equation. There would be no element of being forgiving or merciful as we do not even see that there was any wrong done.

But unfortunately it will be a long haul before people can come out and admit they really don't believe and would rather not bother with church -going and so we can only offer our little community here and what support we can on the end of a cable.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
I agree, Arequipa. That's why I began coming here - just to have some nonjudgmental time and meet some open-minded people. What a relief to know that there are other people out there, especially in the Bible belt.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I agree, Arequipa. That's why I began coming here - just to have some nonjudgmental time and meet some open-minded people. What a relief to know that there are other people out there, especially in the Bible belt.
The Internet..thank Random Factors for it!

Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM

180 posts, read 217,116 times
Yea used to see that alot in church. They turned people away when those people needed the church most , just the opposite of what they taught. They treated them like they had a disease. HYPOCRITS

Old 08-04-2010, 02:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey86 View Post
I live in a small town in Mississippi where everything revolves around the church and I grew up going to church but now that I've gotten older I just don't know what I believe. I'm scared to not believe but when I really think about God I just don''t see how it is possible. And I look at people in the church and the people that I once thought looked like strong Christians look like they are in some sort of cult. I really don't have anyone to talk about this to because I don't know of anyone personal who vocally doubts God. I have three small children and they have never set foot in a church and don't even know who God is and when someone talks about going to church and my oldest son asks me what that is, I don't know what to tell him because it sounds so ridiculous to me to say it out loud. Has anyone else struggled with this?
You would be utterly amazed how many people do not believe in the hype yet go to church because they need to feel part of the community and make friendships and acquaintances that will benefit them financially.

Keep looking for like-minded folks. Trust me they are out there. Hang in there. I feel your pain.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM

22 posts, read 25,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You would be utterly amazed how many people do not believe in the hype yet go to church because they need to feel part of the community and make friendships and acquaintances that will benefit them financially.

Keep looking for like-minded folks. Trust me they are out there. Hang in there. I feel your pain.

20yrsinBranson
Thank you, I do feel like there has to be other people around here that think like me but they are also afraid to tell anyone.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
You might look for a meetup group. Google meetup on your state and city and atheist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism