Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 05:05 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Also, just FYI to get through the boredom of self isolation the CDC has recommended we finish things we start and thus have more calm in our lives. So I looked through the house to find all the things i've started but hadn't finished... so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, case of bears, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner peas. An telum u luvum x
By buy
The only real change to my shopping list has been two bottles of vintage port per week, plus some rare and wondrous cheeses to nibble. Why do I feel like I'm on holiday or celebrating?

P.s Just saw Cruithne's reply to Mystic's about The Leader's reaction to the virus and criticism. I'm not going to bash any leader for either doing a lockdown too soon or too late. Both were wrong but both were necessary. (1) We are all locking the stable door too late and there the analogy crashes, because it is the plague horses have bolted in before we could shut them out. But having locked the doors, how to deal with the horses within?

All leaders and especially the heroines and heroes who keep the services going ar some personal risk.

And of course, keep safe, and I wish all well, even the ones on Ignore.

(1) I mean, what would have looked like hysterical overreaction and even xenophobia at the time would look like 'too late' in the event.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-05-2020 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 09:06 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I too don't want to argue and certainly not in support of our deal leader. BUT I keep hearing the constant claim that our leader delayed acting. The first American case of coronavirus was January 21st. Trump imposed a travel ban from China and quarantine 10 days later - 10 days. How is that delaying action? He was excoriated as xenophobic and racist for it. Just saying. Peace and love!
We need not argue but we should pay attention...

Trump did form a task force and sent 2.5 billion for vaccine research in late January. But a vaccine timeline was always a year or more out and the experts knew that as well (his experts). National measures for social distancing should have come first, but that didn't happen until much later and there was very little testing being done. Trump was still holding rallies while the virus was spreading across the country. And for the record, playing golf as president of the US during a global pandemic does not send the right message to people that we should be taking this seriously.

Declaring a national emergency would have been the right thing to do early on (mid Feb) just like Obama did for H1N1, while we got the testing figured out, but the administration was telling us that we were at very little risk even though the virus had already spread outside of China before February. It was obvious the virus was already here because people had been traveling between places the virus was to the US before the travel ban from China (which only covered foreign nationals) was in place.

The WHO announced a global health emergency on Jan 30th. Our first 10 cases in the US were on the Feb 3rd. After that we were doomed because we waited more than a month to start national procedures for social distancing. The experts knew how fast this thing was spreading and how contagious it was.

Anyway here is the complete timeline as of March 30th

https://www.brookings.edu/research/t...ne-and-themes/

Old 04-05-2020, 12:36 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Great that he closed the border. But it's like locking the gate after the horse has already bolted.
The virus was already here and spreading.
That's not what I'm talking about. The virus has been here for months. A nationwide stay at home order should have been put in place long ago. It still hasn't been, even now.

Many of the people in my suburb work in NYC. Daily, health-workers and hospitals are begging for us, pleading with us to spare any PPE equipment we may have. Dust masks. Home made masks, anything. They are wearing single use N95 masks for days on end. I have friends working around the clock making home made masks to send in. Today someone posted for us to please send in any plastic pillow case covers we may have lying around for health-workers to wear over their heads. This is the level we are at here. And then you get Trump wondering were all the masks are going as if nurses are stealing them. They are working in desperate circumstances. Right now there are 45 refrigerated trailers sitting outside NYC hospitals to house the dead because they long since ran out of space at the morgues. Workers are having to build makeshift shelves to fit more bodies into each trailer. There are another 85 refrigerated trailers on the way.

I don't care any longer about the figures from China. It's the least of our worries. I don't have anything more to say on the matter. Sorry, did not mean that to sound in any way aimed at you. It's just that I have other things to worry about.
My wife and I are in the most vulnerable group because of age and many preexisting health issues, so we are aware of the dangers you are facing. No need to be sorry, my friend. I read the reports about the situation in New York and I am deeply saddened by it. My experience with human systems of government and bureaucracies assures me there is plenty of blame to go around for this pandemic when early on even the medical professionals didn't really know much about it. Stay as safe as you can under the circumstances. You are and have been in my unsolicited prayers.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
I too don't want to argue and certainly not in support of our deal leader. BUT I keep hearing the constant claim that our leader delayed acting. The first American case of coronavirus was January 21st. Trump imposed a travel ban from China and quarantine 10 days later - 10 days. How is that delaying action? He was excoriated as xenophobic and racist for it. Just saying. Peace and love!
Well, like a lot of things, it wasn't quite what it seemed...https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/u...trictions.html

Old 04-06-2020, 09:44 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
My wife and I are in the most vulnerable group because of age and many preexisting health issues, so we are aware of the dangers you are facing. No need to be sorry, my friend. I read the reports about the situation in New York and I am deeply saddened by it. My experience with human systems of government and bureaucracies assures me there is plenty of blame to go around for this pandemic when early on even the medical professionals didn't really know much about it. Stay as safe as you can under the circumstances. You are and have been in my unsolicited prayers.

Thank you Mystic, I needed to let off some steam yesterday.
It's been a very hard and emotional week here. The posting from the surgeon from the ear, nose and throat hospital asking for plastic pillowcase coverings to wear over their heads really got to me. We are supposed to be an advanced first world country. And then this morning there was another post from Yonkers hospital thanking us for the home made masks my community sent in, with a photo of the docs and nurses wearing them with a 'thumbs up' and asking to keep making and sending in the masks. The daily postings like this are heartbreaking, uplifting, terrifying and anger inducing all rolled into one.
There's faint hope that cases here in NY may be plateauing, so let's hope.
And right back at you, and everyone else on here, please stay safe. x

Old 04-06-2020, 09:58 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Keep us informed of how it's going. You are doing a great and gutsy job there. It's easy for me here, even like a vacation, but I know some are right in he front lines .

Old 04-06-2020, 10:05 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Thank you Mystic, I needed to let off some steam yesterday.
It's been a very hard and emotional week here. The posting from the surgeon from the ear, nose and throat hospital asking for plastic pillowcase coverings to wear over their heads really got to me. We are supposed to be an advanced first world country. And then this morning there was another post from Yonkers hospital thanking us for the home made masks my community sent in, with a photo of the docs and nurses wearing them with a 'thumbs up' and asking to keep making and sending in the masks. The daily postings like this are heartbreaking, uplifting, terrifying and anger inducing all rolled into one.
There's faint hope that cases here in NY may be plateauing, so let's hope.
And right back at you, and everyone else on here, please stay safe. x
"We are told by everyone from the United Nations to Donald Trump that the US is a ‘developed’ economy. The statistics suggest otherwise"

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...onomy-covid-19

Hang in! I suspect this will be something of a wake up call for America going forward to help us make better progress along these lines into the future.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:09 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times
I feel more positive than I did. The deaths are heartbreaking. The economic depression very worrisome. We're supposed to start leveling off at the beginning of May according to:

When Will Coronavirus Peak & End - Data From 50 U.S. States
https://www.talktomira.com/post/when...FaD1IeRxoRoHMU

Our stats are insignificant compared to larger metropolitan areas:
154 cases, 5 deaths, 21 recoveries.

Not sure what the leveling off really means, given that there is no wide spread testing.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:35 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Thank you, Cruithne, for keeping us updated. That is heartbreaking. Out of all the forums on City-data, this is the only one that brings me calm, not that I am looking for reassurance from City-data. There is just something calming about seeing the regulars participating here in the atheism forum.

There is a bit of good news. I did my first teledoc with an orthopedic doctor; I saw him only once back in February. I was his first patient to use the service and he was doing a follow up. Anyway, he ordered physical therapy for me twice a week, which is telemedicine as well. No doctor has ever order that for me. They just gave me anti-inflammatory pills. The exercises are spot on. They work great. I have been searching exercises on the internet for the past year but have never seen the ones the physical therapist showed me today.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Thank you, Cruithne, for keeping us updated. That is heartbreaking. Out of all the forums on City-data, this is the only one that brings me calm, not that I am looking for reassurance from City-data. There is just something calming about seeing the regulars participating here in the atheism forum.

There is a bit of good news. I did my first teledoc with an orthopedic doctor; I saw him only once back in February. I was his first patient to use the service and he was doing a follow up. Anyway, he ordered physical therapy for me twice a week, which is telemedicine as well. No doctor has ever order that for me. They just gave me anti-inflammatory pills. The exercises are spot on. They work great. I have been searching exercises on the internet for the past year but have never seen the ones the physical therapist showed me today.
That's interesting. This is the way medicine--and a lot of other kinds of things--are headed, and sooner rather than later. I listen to MSNBC podcasts off and on all day. Dr. Fauci was speculating about how we may never get to the way it was, pre-virus. Thomas Friedman was speculating also. Very likely things will never be the same. I moved all my violin and piano students online and I like teaching that way versus meeting in person. Most all the details of your life can be managed online, as long as your ISP is working.

But what about folks who don't have internet access or skills, saleable skills, education, savings, or have to chose between entering an unsafe work environment and being evicted and homeless.

I bet there will be an uptick in religion, also, due to fear and stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism