Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 09:43 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mom was a Jersey girl all her life, too. As a matter of fact, she died less than a mile from where she was born. She was born on Payne Avenue and delivered by a Dr. Payne. She said that set her on her course. Long life, some very hard times. But she survived. By the end she was peaceful and mellow and still had a sharp intelligence. The rest of her fell apart.

Thanks to you and all who expressed kind sympathy.
Lots to contend with indeed, during a time of lots to contend with...

Sorry for your loss and the sad circumstances but to pass after a good many years, peaceful, mellow and still with sharp intelligence, hard to ask for better all considered. My mother almost of same age is sheltered in place and dealing with loneliness that only exasperates her persistent depression going on three years now since my father died after three years of Alzheimer's. Sometimes it's harder to tell whether it's harder on the survivors and care takers, but either way it's hard. I mean Payne Avenue and Dr. Payne? That's a lot of payne for just about anyone.

Take care and all the best to you and yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 11:15 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Thank you for your concern. I do see a few parallels here with 9/11, and yes, there is residual 9/11 PTSD, but mine is minor compared to some people I know. (There is a private 9/11 support group on FB, and some people are in very bad shape. In general, it gets more traffic beginning in August every year when the ghosts begin to rise. I should check it out now that you mentioned this to see if people are having extra difficulty.)

Unfortunately, coronavirus's impact on me at the moment consists of the limitations in arranging my mother's funeral, which can be nothing but a short graveside service with her pastor, three of my siblings, me, and one of her grandchildren present. Cemetery rules allow for up to ten people, including the funeral director and any clergy, but the other two living siblings and the rest of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren cannot or will not travel.

The virus didn't get her. She had been checked for fever and cough every day before being allowed into the center where she received dialysis three times a week, and she was fine in that regard on Friday. I had been staying with her to help her with personal care after she suffered a knee injury last week, and I found her dead when I checked on her early Saturday morning. Her old heart that was patched up four years ago with equally old pieces of artery from her legs just gave out. To die at 91 in your sleep in your own bed in the house where you've lived for sixty years is a gift. We will bury her tomorrow next to my father and brother and then scurry back to hide in our own homes.
My condolences.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:38 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,335 times
MQ, my sympathies go out to you and your family having to deal with additional stresses and challenges at an already difficult, stressful time. This is a surreal time in human history as we adjust to a new "reality."

Quote:
Unfortunately, coronavirus's impact on me at the moment consists of the limitations in arranging my mother's funeral, which can be nothing but a short graveside service with her pastor, three of my siblings, me, and one of her grandchildren present. Cemetery rules allow for up to ten people, including the funeral director and any clergy, but the other two living siblings and the rest of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren cannot or will not travel.

The virus didn't get her. She had been checked for fever and cough every day before being allowed into the center where she received dialysis three times a week, and she was fine in that regard on Friday. I had been staying with her to help her with personal care after she suffered a knee injury last week, and I found her dead when I checked on her early Saturday morning. Her old heart that was patched up four years ago with equally old pieces of artery from her legs just gave out. To die at 91 in your sleep in your own bed in the house where you've lived for sixty years is a gift. We will bury her tomorrow next to my father and brother and then scurry back to hide in our own homes.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:59 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Update: The graveside service was held yesterday. There were eight of us present. My mom's is one of the first that this funeral home live streamed on Facebook so that others could watch as it happened. There were seventeen participants on the live feed (we know that at least one were my aunt and cousins watching together at their home) and the video has been shared multiple times and is posted on her obit page on the funeral home's website. They recorded it using both a phone and a Go-Pro.

I think my mother would have gotten a kick out of the whole thing.

In a sidebar indicative of the times in which we are living, my niece was pulled over by the cops on her way to the service. My mother lived in New Jersey about ten miles south of the New York state line. My niece lives just above the border in NY's Rockland County. Right now New York State license plates are drawing attention as other states turn them back because of their high rate of infection.

Once the cop saw my niece has the firefighter shield on her plates because of her husband and she told him she is a medical worker (true) he waved her on.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:46 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times
Quote:
Update: The graveside service was held yesterday. There were eight of us present. My mom's is one of the first that this funeral home live streamed on Facebook so that others could watch as it happened. There were seventeen participants on the live feed (we know that at least one were my aunt and cousins watching together at their home) and the video has been shared multiple times and is posted on her obit page on the funeral home's website. They recorded it using both a phone and a Go-Pro.

I think my mother would have gotten a kick out of the whole thing.

In a sidebar indicative of the times in which we are living, my niece was pulled over by the cops on her way to the service. My mother lived in New Jersey about ten miles south of the New York state line. My niece lives just above the border in NY's Rockland County. Right now New York State license plates are drawing attention as other states turn them back because of their high rate of infection.

Once the cop saw my niece has the firefighter shield on her plates because of her husband and she told him she is a medical worker (true) he waved her on.
My late husband was an auxiliary cop in Orangeburg. He was also a volunteer firefighter in Orangeburg and New City (when he moved). PLUS, he was on Rockland's Hazmat team. Needless to say, he was pretty busy! But I'll tell ya...my hat is OFF to the men and woman who put their lives on the line each day for us, when it comes to a crisis. Paid or unpaid.

Your mom's service seemed very...intimate.

Also, if you're mom's a believer as you are, then she did get a 'kick' out of it!

Thanks for your update, MQ. God Bless...

Old 04-01-2020, 08:31 PM

339 posts, read 171,184 times
This is a challenging time. My wife and I had to separate temporarily due to family and business.

Article on mental health practices during quarantine:

Mental Health Wellness Tips for Quarantine | SFU OLC

Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Good site for Covid-19 updates

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Old 04-02-2020, 05:25 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Remarkable. While islands with small populations (e.g Vatican city) or course tend to rate less, and maybe places where "They never go anywhere", there seems no pattern to the spread.

Stay safe, Raffa, mate. There's a lot of it about in Spain.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:50 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
I don't know why they bother putting the stats for China on there. They are obviously false.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:13 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I don't know why they bother putting the stats for China on there. They are obviously false.
What makes you think they are false?
Do you assume the stats are higher than stated or lower than stated?
China statistics are backed by the CDC.
It's been reported that China did not initially include statistics of asymptomatic people testing positive, but then neither have most countries since the initial focus is on testing symptomatic patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism