Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 09:20 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Remarkable. While islands with small populations (e.g Vatican city) or course tend to rate less, and maybe places where "They never go anywhere", there seems no pattern to the spread.

Stay safe, Raffa, mate. There's a lot of it about in Spain.
Too much here my dear old virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 10:52 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
I couldn't believe this when I read the first reports but sure enough as I dug for more on this story, turns out it's true! Unbelievable but true. What is wrong with these people...

Fauci, who has held his position since 1984, has reportedly been given a security detail amid an increase in threats made against him, and a small contingent of supporters of President Trump has vocally criticized his blunt assessments of the pandemic even as Trump and Fauci have both denied any rift.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...ats-its-my-job

"Fauci's guidance to Trump for the country to remain as locked down as possible to help control the virus spread has not earned fans among some fervent right-wing voices."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/polit...ail/index.html

On the plus side, "This virus is a shot in the arm for science"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ence-35cs3ff6c

Old 04-02-2020, 01:47 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I couldn't believe this when I read the first reports but sure enough as I dug for more on this story, turns out it's true! Unbelievable but true. What is wrong with these people...

Fauci, who has held his position since 1984, has reportedly been given a security detail amid an increase in threats made against him, and a small contingent of supporters of President Trump has vocally criticized his blunt assessments of the pandemic even as Trump and Fauci have both denied any rift.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...ats-its-my-job

"Fauci's guidance to Trump for the country to remain as locked down as possible to help control the virus spread has not earned fans among some fervent right-wing voices."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/polit...ail/index.html

On the plus side, "This virus is a shot in the arm for science"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ence-35cs3ff6c

What these 'right wing voices' should do is carry on life as much as normal.

Shake hands with a good number of people, have a nice big party together.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:22 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What makes you think they are false?
Common sense and the rapid spread in other countries. A population of almost 2 billion experiences only a few thousand (around 3000+) deaths, while countries with far fewer populations experience significantly more, does not pass the smell test.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Quote:
What makes you think they are false?
Do you assume the stats are higher than stated or lower than stated?
China statistics are backed by the CDC.
It's been reported that China did not initially include statistics of asymptomatic people testing positive, but then neither have most countries since the initial focus is on testing symptomatic patients.
China is notorious for making themselves sound better than they are - and since they have a pretty closed society I believe that they underreport so they can claim they are better than the West. The CDC only gets to see what they let them see. In a country with such a huge population it just doesn't seem logical that their stats are so low.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
China also took what we would consider to be draconian measures in quarantining a city by erecting barricades around it. No western country has adopted measures anywhere near as dramatic.

There is also the possibility that cultural norms had a large impact. Although I am not sure that this is true of China, Japanese and Korean people use face masks if they are sick to prevent the spread to others. If this also happened in China, the spread may have been slowed.

Look at S. Korea. A similarly dense population seems to have stopped the spread of the virus in its tracks.

I would not be surprised if the numbers out of China changed dramatically one day as they lift the quarantine around Wuhan, but I do not automatically dismiss their numbers simply because they are on the other side of a trade dispute with us. I take a cautious wait and see approach.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Common sense and the rapid spread in other countries. A population of almost 2 billion experiences only a few thousand (around 3000+) deaths, while countries with far fewer populations experience significantly more, does not pass the smell test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
China is notorious for making themselves sound better than they are - and since they have a pretty closed society I believe that they underreport so they can claim they are better than the West. The CDC only gets to see what they let them see. In a country with such a huge population it just doesn't seem logical that their stats are so low.
So in other words neither of you have any evidence.

The coronavirus was already out of China and spreading to other countries before Wuhan and surrounding towns shut down.
When it did shut down it did just that - it shut down. No public transport, all borders shut to the outside. No travel of any kind.
Officials checked house by house to check who had the virus and forced then to isolate from other family members. Everybody required to wear masks at all times whether you had the virus or not.
This has become part of the Chinese culture. They are used to taking extreme measures as they have dealt with the likes of SARS and MERS. There's good reason the Chinese are used to wearing face masks.

Once the virus spread to other countries it was up to those countries to react immediately. None of them did. Everyone dragged their feet just like America is still doing right now and has been for weeks. Still even now, there is no mandatory national stay at home order.
As I have stated many times I'm at the New York epicenter. When the first case arrived here our Chinese community frantically screamed at us and local authorities to shut down everything NOW. They knew what was coming.
I have an old friend who lives near Wuhan and has described their community gradually coming back to life.
They would not be taking those measures without drastically reduced cases.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:32 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
What you say about China being notorious for making themselves sound better than they are reminds me just a bit of someone, but I can't quite put my finger on who. Someone in high office I think. A promoter or celebrity of some kind. The name will come to me...

Old 04-03-2020, 11:32 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
So in other words neither of you have any evidence.
China is a totalitarian regime who brutally suppress their people. Of the two doctors who tried to warn the world early on about the virus, one died from it and the other who claimed they were hiding relevant data has gone missing. Western journalists have been kicked out of China. They refused to allow the CDC or other outside health agencies to enter and help. Their previous actions in other outbreaks revealed their penchant for distorting or hiding the truth and their propaganda attempts to blame America or other countries for the pandemic is probative. The WHO is complicit in their propaganda efforts.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
China is a totalitarian regime who brutally suppress their people. Of the two doctors who tried to warn the world early on about the virus, one died from it and the other who claimed they were hiding relevant data has gone missing. Western journalists have been kicked out of China. They refused to allow the CDC or other outside health agencies to enter and help. Their previous actions in other outbreaks revealed their penchant for distorting or hiding the truth and their propaganda attempts to blame America or other countries for the pandemic is probative. The WHO is complicit in their propaganda efforts.
None of that has any bearing on the statistics China have released.
The stats are completely in line with findings in all other countries in terms of high risk to low risk factors and demographics.
If other countries had been quicker to act, the death tolls would be far, far lower and that's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism