Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:07 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But that's not the same as what was said, which is: "don't make this law because baddies might get pissed off and do something nasty".

We'll make the laws we think we need to make and if the baddies get mad and do bad things then we'll come down hard on the baddies.

If we applied this logic to criminal justice we never would have had any laws or enforcement against organized crime because they always fought back, often violently.
But they never (so far as I know) targeted civilians in order to force the police to leave them alone. Islamic terrorism does. Governments would be lacking in empathy if they didn't bear this very real threat in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 PM

64,132 posts, read 40,458,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
But they never (so far as I know) targeted civilians in order to force the police to leave them alone. Islamic terrorism does. Governments would be lacking in empathy if they didn't bear this very real threat in mind.
And that fact alone makes Islam the most dangerous religion in the world today. We MUST find a non-appeasement way to deal with it that removes the threat.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,362,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I don’t know, I was talking about secular religion with strict rules. We should analyze this from the perspective of Atheism. As an atheist, is this what you want?
No I think we should look at the facts with as open mind as we can. I will not look at it as secular religion for two readons, I don't know what you mean by that and I don't want to look at something with prejudice. As far as I know this could be a Catholic response to minimize Muslims I to Quebec. I don't assume that it is meant as an attack on religion. Assumptions and proclamations are your strong point not mine

Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,394,590 times
Quote:
These goofy laws are as goofy as the religion rules. This has been my point from they one. We are replacing one religion with another religion. I am no Muslim, but I see nothing wrong with women covering the hair.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:33 PM

26,945 posts, read 38,301,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No I think we should look at the facts with as open mind as we can. I will not look at it as secular religion for two readons, I don't know what you mean by that and I don't want to look at something with prejudice. As far as I know this could be a Catholic response to minimize Muslims I to Quebec. I don't assume that it is meant as an attack on religion. Assumptions and proclamations are your strong point not mine
This can be seen as anti-religious. Or at least the message is that religions are to be tolerated but not necessarily embraced by the state and its institutions.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Any government that would let this drive its decision making is unworthy of exercising power.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You may have a point. Before the Muslim migration Quebec had a Catholic cultural heritage. It is not Rome, but the symbols are there. What to do? Destroy all monuments, churches, and crosses? Where does it end?
What a mess!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2019, 08:00 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,362,216 times
Quote:
You may have a point. Before the Muslim migration Quebec had a Catholic cultural heritage. It is not Rome, but the symbols are there. What to do? Destroy all monuments, churches, and crosses? Where does it end?
What a mess!!!!!!
You certainly can only look at things at the extremists end. Do you think Quebec has now a Muslim cultural heritage? In 2001 Catholics made up more than 80% and Muslims less than 4%. D9 you think that more than 10 million Muslims migrated to Quebec since that time?

Did you know that at the beginning only Catholics were allowed to move into Quebec. No Jews, no Muslims and no Proestants. Part of your proud European Catholic tradition?

Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM

16,770 posts, read 15,840,325 times
Quote:
I don’t know, I was talking about secular religion with strict rules. We should analyze this from the perspective of Atheism. As an atheist, is this what you want?
Are you going to define secular religion? That term is an oxymoron.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
It is basically secular religion. And everybody better get in line or else.
Not everyone. Just the people who want to do certain specific jobs which exercise authority (in the name of the state) over their fellow citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism