Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This includes non-Muslims who have "rushed to the defence" of Muslims.

I am reminded of Western feminists defending Islam which is massively oppressive of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:56 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am reminded of Western feminists defending Islam which is massively oppressive of women.
A lot of gays do that too.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,361,548 times
Quote:
It is an automatic response with cognitive dissonance.
But, most likely is the fear of being labeled an islamophobe. Sam Harris one of my favorites gets yell at if he has negative views on Islam.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:22 AM

All religions have streaks within them that deserve criticism.

Recently Buddhists in Myanmar were violently oppressing Muslims.

No one gets a free pass.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,338,743 times
Quote:
Not all Muslim families do that but in those that do, isn't it related to the onset of puberty?
Of course not all Muslim women do that. I am referring to girls in a family where the mother had her head covered and an older daughter too but never seen the young girls, whereas in Mennonite and Hutterite family I so not see even young girls without their head covered nor Hutterite boys without their little black caos. Ax they get older they were either a different style black hat or a cowboy hat. But I have never seen a Muslim young girl covering her hair other than of course in the winter.

What really bugs me are the comments of Muslim women wearing coverings over their hair when Hutterites and Mennonite have been doing that here for over 100 years.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:12 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
Where are you getting this stuff from: 'gays defending Islam?' There's nowhere that is more hostile towards gays than the Muslim world, even if by all accounts, half of them are. They are not too brilliant on women, either, and quite a few women have said so -loudly - inside and out, even though you can always find burka -wearing women who tell us how good this is for them. I say to them. take it off for a month and then see how good it is for you.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
100 years ago the Balfour Declaration was two years old and Jews constituted about 3 % of the population scattered about the lands formerly controlled by the Ottoman Empire.

That has changed, spectacularly so starting in 1948.
The Balfour Declaration has nothing to do with it.

You miss the point.

What acts or series of events made the Balfour Declaration possible in the first place?

It was the dismantling of the Ottoman Empire by Britain and France that made the Balfour Declaration possible.

The Ottoman Empire and the Balfour Declaration are mutually exclusive.

Why was Britain and France carving up the Ottoman Empire?

Because the Ottomans sided with the Axis Powers.

Why did the Ottomans side with the Axis Powers?

Because some piece of **** puke named Winston Churchill cancelled the Ottoman's contracts for naval vessels knowing full well the Ottomans would then side with the Axis Powers instead of the Allies.

Quote:
This is an argument often made by supporters of this bill.
Okay. Is there something wrong with the argument? Because I'm not seeing it.

Quote:
Is that the UN? Does the convention or body have any teeth?
As I said, I don't pretend to understand Canadian law, but the US is also a signatory and under the US Constitution, the Convention is law.

Depending on how the Canadian constitution treats treaties, it might be Canadian law as well.

Quote:
Most of the time they can't even prevent tinpot dictators from committing genocide, but they are gonna pull out all the stops against Quebec because judges have to remove their kippa on the bench?
You're referring to the International Criminal Court. That's not the same thing as the International Court of Justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The promotion and spread of hate and the exploitation of ignorance among the young for decades in madrassas and mosques.
And, why would that happen?

Could it be that the puppet-dictators supported by the US and Britain leave them no choice?

Like Mohammed Talbi said, "We have the freedom to shut up."

He said that the day after the major Tunisian newspaper ran a 12-column blank editorial.

The paper ran a blank 12-column editorial the day after the UN Commission on Human Rights left.

The whole point was that since anything the editors said would land them in prison, it's best to say nothing at all. The great irony is Tunisia finally got a government free of US oppression, but then thanks to Bush and Obama, you had Arab Spring and now a puppet is back in control.

The British and US puppet-dictators control the TV, radio and print media, including books, newspapers and periodicals.

So, then, where is the only place you can go to freely exchange ideas without government goons being up your ass?

Yeah, that's right... a mosque or school.

If you lived under such an oppressive abusive government, where would you be going?

Yeah, that's right... a church, a synagogue, a mosque or a school.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,177,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

You miss the point.
I'm certainly unable to detect a point which relates to what I wrote among what you offered.

Your first statement is obviously incorrect. The Balfour Declaration has nothing to do with the existence today of Israel? The existence of Israel has nothing to do with Islamic hostility toward the nation which has always been Israel's strongest ally and supporter? I do not see how it is possible for anyone to not see the connections, so if that is what you meant, it is indefensible. If that isn't what you meant, then your post didn't have anything to do with mine.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:

You miss the point.

What acts or series of events made the Balfour Declaration possible in the first place?

It was the dismantling of the Ottoman Empire by Britain and France that made the Balfour Declaration possible.

The Ottoman Empire and the Balfour Declaration are mutually exclusive.

Why was Britain and France carving up the Ottoman Empire?

Because the Ottomans sided with the Axis Powers.

Why did the Ottomans side with the Axis Powers?

Because some piece of **** puke named Winston Churchill cancelled the Ottoman's contracts for naval vessels knowing full well the Ottomans would then side with the Axis Powers instead of the Allies.

Okay. Is there something wrong with the argument? Because I'm not seeing it.

As I said, I don't pretend to understand Canadian law, but the US is also a signatory and under the US Constitution, the Convention is law.

Depending on how the Canadian constitution treats treaties, it might be Canadian law as well.
Most countries have ratified it, including some that have much more stringent bans on religious garb than Québec 's.

In fact among the signatories are tyrannical régimes.

So... so much for that.

Also, Canada occasionally gets called out by the UN and other international bodies for its treatment of indigenous peoples. For stuff far more serious than Québec Bill 21.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:

And, why would that happen?

Could it be that the puppet-dictators supported by the US and Britain leave them no choice?

Like Mohammed Talbi said, "We have the freedom to shut up."

He said that the day after the major Tunisian newspaper ran a 12-column blank editorial.

The paper ran a blank 12-column editorial the day after the UN Commission on Human Rights left.

The whole point was that since anything the editors said would land them in prison, it's best to say nothing at all. The great irony is Tunisia finally got a government free of US oppression, but then thanks to Bush and Obama, you had Arab Spring and now a puppet is back in control.

The British and US puppet-dictators control the TV, radio and print media, including books, newspapers and periodicals.

So, then, where is the only place you can go to freely exchange ideas without government goons being up your ass?

Yeah, that's right... a mosque or school.

If you lived under such an oppressive abusive government, where would you be going?

Yeah, that's right... a church, a synagogue, a mosque or a school.
This is no doubt true to a large degree.

Though it's the same as someone who has had a troubled childhood and grew up to be a hoodlum - the troubled childhood part doesn't mean I won't try to protect myself and my family from the hoodlum.

The same goes for terrorism and other radical behaviours - we're still going to try and stymie them, regardless of the role western powers played in the root cause of the problem.

However, I'd caution against placing the blame for turmoil in the Middle East solely on western powers. Conflicts between Muslims, Christians and Jews there, as well as between factions (Shia vs. Sunni) within Islam itself, go back 1500 years or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism