Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh, but the government did consider the potential impacts of the law, consult and hold hearings with interested parties and held committee debates on this bill.
And how many potential terrorists attended this meeting to announce that they either would or would not react with violence?

My point all along has been that if you pass a law, regardless of how justified the law is, or how unjustified a violent reaction to it would be, you had better consider the potential consequences.

I would liken it to a US president who has been warned that if he insists on visiting a certain area, there will be extra security problems because that particular locale is filled with people who are extremely hostile to him (or her.) The president says "I should have the freedom to go wherever I want and if someone kills me, then the problem is the killer, not my travel plans."

Freedom/security has always been a balancing act, the less security you have, the more freedom you have, and vice versa. In the above example, the president must choose between exercising the freedom to travel wherever he or she wishes, and the potential of encountering someone who plans to do harm.

So, yes, Quebec should have the right to pass whatever laws it wishes regarding the public practice of religion. However, knowing that this particular law, if passed, has the potential to inspire a terrorist act of revenge or protest, means that the Quebec lawmakers must weigh the benefits of the law over the drawbacks which might accompany it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Are you a moderator?
I don't need to be. This is an open forum.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:53 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Thanks again for your opinion.

Do you live/vote in Quebec?

If you're American (educated guess) would you now like my opinion on gun control in your country? How about economic inequality between rich and poor?
The discussion of politics is not allowed. I am a centrist and do not own weapons.
Thanks for the condescending remark about education.

As Peter Hitchens (an ex commie) says: It is impossible to have a discussion with some people when one sides side assumes they are 100% correct and the other side must be evil.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The discussion of politics is not allowed. I am a centrist and do not own weapons.

As Peter Hitchens (an ex commie) says: It is impossible to have a discussion with some people when one sides side assumes they are 100% correct and the other side must be evil.
The discussion of politics is allowed, but should go in the politics forum.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:

It wasn't a remark about your education.

When I said "educated guess" it meant that I was making an educated guess that you were American.

I thought this was common usage in English.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The discussion of politics is allowed, but should go in the politics forum.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:

I don't deal in good vs. evil when it comes to these types of discussions.

Correct vs. incorrect is a whole other matter.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't need to be. This is an open forum.
My goal was not to censor anyone.

Only to nudge people in the direction of contributions that are more fulsome than "oooh, this is a slippery slope" and "women with Muslim headgear are kinda sexy..."

Which of course people are free to make, I guess. Not that it will further the discussion much, though.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
My goal was not to censor anyone.

Only to nudge people in the direction of contributions that are more fulsome than "oooh, this is a slippery slope" and "women with Muslim headgear are kinda sexy..."

Which of course people are free to make, I guess. Not that it will further the discussion much, though.
That I can agree with you on. But we all have our moments.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That I can agree with you on. But we all have our moments.
Indeed we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism