Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 02:16 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,740,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
One small problem with your faith statement. I have never heard a believer claim that.
Ever the idiot, Arach, you never stop in your inane pretense of asserting that things you don't like are in fact, 'faith' - that for which you've appointed yourself incessant fluffer. You're either a fool or dishonest, in this case. Mostly, you're both. There are few arrows in your quiver. You just regurgitate the same three or so over and over and over.

"Five minutes to Wapner! Five Minutes to Wapner!"

Here's the OP (see below). He is a Christian. That's a fact, not faith - no matter how idiotically you claim otherwise. He claims that the 'storms of life' are the Lord's work. He claims that nothing will happen but what the Lord intends. Those are facts, not faith - no matter how idiotically you claim otherwise. He claims that any such things, which by logic (I understand that logic is a thing that alternately eludes you and annoys you to the extent that you lie in dismissing it) include the example I gave because, indeed, it includes any possible example - no matter how idiotically you claim otherwise. And, yes, you have heard that from Christians. We all have. "It's God's will" "God works in mysterious way" We have all heard that, ad nauseum - no matter how idiotically you claim otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I can't speak for other Christians, so I will speak for myself only.

When the storms of life come knocking on my door, (that's a frequent event), i think, here we go again Lord.

I'm not worried because I know nothing will happen that the Lord has not allowed to happen. So whatever that happening is, I'm a peace with it. I accept it and do what I know is right according to God's Word.

That is very important to the Christian, doing what he knows is right according to the Word of God. It's important because the storm is just another test of ones faith, this is how God perfects faith, He is saying in this storm, Do you believe me and my promises, do you trust me to see you through it, will you prove it through your actions.

The Christians call this sanctification, a word found many times in scripture and very well known. It's a purifying process that ultimately brings one closer to God in relationship. This process lasts as long as the person lives.

I'm sorry to say that this process is not available for unbelievers. In fact they face these storms alone and all the unknown's that go with it.

In the middle of the night, in the storms of life, the fear sets in as at no other time. That's when the gentle voice of the Lord whispers to His child, everything is going to be ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
But you really couldn't care less about what is actually said and what that even it shows. Most people of faith don't care. You last sentence is what it is really about for you. "you don't like the government".
I have no idea what your vapid rambling about 'the government' entails, Arach. But then, incoherent screeds are your norm. Again, I'd chalk it up to deceit, but befuddlement is equally plausible.

The OP's ideas are monstrous. And such is your loathing of what you sometimes think you are - an atheist - you are running interference for that monstrosity. That's who and what you are. Nothing less.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:18 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,671,940 times
Quote:
If you get Jesus wrong, it doesn't matter what you get right.

You simply will not make it.

Again, I'm coming from the scripture and it's many quotes concerning Christ.

We are not on even turf here. I hold the scripture in the highest regard, you probably don't.

So the scripture is not the final word for you as it is for me.
But only if the Bible is true, and we already know that it is not. Deep down, you know it too. That's exactly why you have to rationalize what certain passages say and deceive yourself that they don't really mean what they say. And there are so very many of those passages.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,652,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
But we have heard of people being arrested for denying medical treatment for their children on doctrinal grounds, or natural disasters being explained in terms of God's plan. If we don't hear the worse examples, it's because increased secularist skepticism will not allow them to get away with it.

The Gaps for God are, in effect, closing.

And I detected nothing of not liking the (or a) government in the post you responded to. Wherever did you see that?
listen trans, you know and I know you are here to stop religion in the united states. You said it to me and you have said as much. so just be honest about it when its pointed out.

I don't disagree totally with it but activism should be in another forum or subsection. It should not be deciding sliding scales of plausibility and relevance of science based god claims in just this forum. Thats all.

the no-god of-gaps is closing equally as fast. because its something, not nothing. Denying everything is just falling away piece by piece.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

nipped for space ...

The OP's ideas are monstrous. And such is your loathing of what you sometimes think you are - an atheist - you are running interference for that monstrosity. That's who and what you are. Nothing less.
bla bla bla ...

No actually I am running interference from monsters. What they believe is secondary to me. Listen 2x4x8. I could care less what you believe. Your process of evaluating what people are saying and doing is seriously flawed.

They remove police and soldiers from cases when it becomes personal for a reason.

yes, I have no problem tripping you and him up. You guys are exactly the same to me. actually, you are little more dangerous because we will see him coming from a mile away. When you start tearing into people it may be to late.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I look at the whole story of the Egyptians and the Jews and I look at God's success each step of the way, success being did the suffering god caused result in freedom for the Jews:

water turning to blood -- failure
frogs -- failure
lice -- failure
flies -- failure
livestock pestilence -- failure
boils -- failure
hail -- failure
locusts -- failure
darkness -- failure

killing of firstborn, including babies -- at first it appeared successful, but I would have to liken it to the philosophy of the Holocaust. The ends justify the means. Ultimately, however, a failure, because Pharoah then pursues the escaping Jews anyway.

and then, since all else has failed, god parts the sea allowing an escape.

1 actual success after 10 failures.

Christians tell us that god is all seeing. And yet he didn't see 10 failures? And then he had to do one big miracle to get his way. Why not just do a big miracle to begin with, get it all over with, without all the suffering and without killing babies?

I like old movies. The other night I was watching one from 1932. It started off with a series of illogical events, each one seemingly written to fix the previous illogical event. I finally turned the flick off. That's similar to what I see in the story of Moses with the Jews.
What I find most interesting about the 10 plagues is that Pharaoh's magicians could duplicate most of them. Why would Yahweh choose a display of power which magicians of the day could duplicate? Not terribly bright, that Yahweh.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What does that mean?
It means that Charlie refuses to respond honestly.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
How easily we forget the burden of proof that He doesn't exist.
Well, if that is how it works, then we should all be worshipping all of the thousands of gods which people have genuinely believed in over the years. After all, there is no proof that any of them don't exist either.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I look at the whole story of the Egyptians and the Jews and I look at God's success each step of the way, success being did the suffering god caused result in freedom for the Jews:

water turning to blood -- failure
frogs -- failure
lice -- failure
flies -- failure
livestock pestilence -- failure
boils -- failure
hail -- failure
locusts -- failure
darkness -- failure

killing of firstborn, including babies -- at first it appeared successful, but I would have to liken it to the philosophy of the Holocaust. The ends justify the means. Ultimately, however, a failure, because Pharoah then pursues the escaping Jews anyway.

and then, since all else has failed, god parts the sea allowing an escape.

1 actual success after 10 failures.

Christians tell us that god is all seeing. And yet he didn't see 10 failures? And then he had to do one big miracle to get his way. Why not just do a big miracle to begin with, get it all over with, without all the suffering and without killing babies?

I like old movies. The other night I was watching one from 1932. It started off with a series of illogical events, each one seemingly written to fix the previous illogical event. I finally turned the flick off. That's similar to what I see in the story of Moses with the Jews.

actually ... they got away ... that was the end. So god did succeed. What it actually shows is that he had to use the rules he set up.

and if a simple stupid no nothing atheist can see that, they should too.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
LOL, your mind can be changed huuh! Do I look like bait for your hook. This is not Charlies first rodeo my man.

LOL, I don't (can't help it) LOL again, understand that atheism is not a claim.

When you......tell me......there is no God.....that.....is not.....a claim. LOLOL

You can do better than this, let's at least try, try I say, to stay in reality my man.
Some atheists believe there is no god, others have no such belief. It's a bit strange that you find this something to LOL about. Clearly, you know very little about atheism.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Another thought I had on the advantage of Christians is that we easily accept Gods authority. It's not hard at all to submit to that authority.

On the other hand, I think this is a problem for the atheists. Not just God, authority in general.

I have read many posts here and a common theme I've found is "well the Christian God demands it His way or the highway.

The rejection is very apparent.

Have I stumbled on truth or is that the Neo in me!
Agreed, Christians do seem to eagerly submit to the authority of others, for no apparent reason. Personally, I do not see this as a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism