Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2021, 08:06 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Influence them to believe in a non-belief?
No wonder you are always confused when you cannot follow a simple conversation. You responded to post 374, and I responded to that subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 08:56 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No. From the early days, in an office where I saw it decriminalised and some few coming out, the view of straights was 'All the more girls for us'. So long as they didn't try to recruit (some did) it was not a problem.

It was (since it stopped being a bad and immoral, in fact, law against gays) purely gays vs homophobes, who wanted to go back to the days of repression and criminalisation. Still do. Now the Law is treating them as the criminals.

I need hardly point up where this is still the same with some areas where the law is still repressive and irrational and (in my view) immoral, and the public perception driven by ignorance and malice hasn't put pressure on it to change.
OK.

Sexism is not a men vs women in the same way that the not abusing LGBT is not about straights vs gays.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
If you search this thread there are far more posts talking a about religion, how to evaluate one, how hard it is to leave one, about how atheists are marginalized by believers. Not a whole lot about god, other that the one i posted asking the same question. I find it hard to believe atheists simply don’t believe in god and that’s the end of it, although i am sure there are some. But this forum is not about disbelief in god, it is about how harmful religion is. I dont believe in god, end of story. What else is there to discuss?
ETA: BUDDHA stopped short of saying there is a god. He did not affirm one. That is why he was silent.
Well, that blows your theory that atheists are against God if we don't even talk much about Him. It's almost as if we lack belief in Him. Did you see anyone talk about a secret fear of hell?

You yourself have stated that religion can be harmful.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:10 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
So atheist believe they can control what people THINK?
You wait for a single word and then pounce.

Don't ever claim you are trying to learn. You seem only interested in attacking.

And you refuse to accept that there is only one thing in common about atheists, one thing and that has been explained countless times. Only someone who has no intention of learning would have missed that. It's also in the FAQ which you have deemed below you to bother reading.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:16 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Thank you. Yet they have a whole forum and also infiltrate religion. Gotcha.
On C-D there are forums for Toyota and Honda. And obviously believers can post on this forum and many do.

Maybe the need for us to have our own forum is for believers to be able to come here and understand what atheists are about.

Some are able to learn, some like yourself seem unwilling to do so. That is a choice and it's obvious that you made the attack and not learn choice.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
On C-D there are forums for Toyota and Honda. And obviously believers can post on this forum and many do.

Maybe the need for us to have our own forum is for believers to be able to come here and understand what atheists are about.

Some are able to learn, some like yourself seem unwilling to do so. That is a choice and it's obvious that you made the attack and not learn choice.
She's not here to learn. Watch an exchange between the two of us. I only hope I get this good at picking up on my own BS. I am aware that I was taught to split so I have been working diligently on it for probably 7 years now. I have my good days and bad.

Quote:
This is true and that is because they dont like their safety zones shaken. If you have the power, male privilege, white privilege, you will not want to yield it. The victims deserve what they get.
It is really up to women, and Black people, to demand they be recognized, their rights respected, and put an an end to racists and sexist bigotry. Call it out every time it happens. Nobody can live in peace until everyone can live in peace. No justice until everyone has justice.
L8, thank you for speaking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think they look at it that way. Like with the link I posted. The people in my life doing it I would classify as "mostly good". I didn't think their sexism or racism was consciously motivated. and came from that place. Even after watching that video myself and becoming aware of this human tendency I still catch myself doing it. Some things are impossible(for me at least) to override. If people have this image of themselves that they are not sexist (and they may not be they might just be using the just world fallacy) they will feel attacked. I think it's to our benefit to remember that as we try and solve the problem.
Quote:
I am not sure the guy selling audible (is that his book?) is entirely right. Looking at people and their actions as good or bad is always a loser from the start. Right or wrong is a more rational way to look at things.
For the record, she believes in Karma so a core belief has been challenged here. I know this so I respond back in her language.

Quote:
I wish I could say this is where I'm coming from but it's not. I'd like to believe it exists and I'd very much like to go there.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase ‘each other’
doesn’t make any sense.

Rumi
Quote:
Well, that is advaita!
Whooosh!

Old 03-05-2021, 10:06 AM

15,978 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
She's not here to learn. Watch an exchange between the two of us. I only hope I get this good at picking up on my own BS. I am aware that I was taught to split so I have been working diligently on it for probably 7 years now. I have my good days and bad.

For the record, she believes in Karma so a core belief has been challenged here. I know this so I respond back in her language.

Whooosh!
I am sorry, I am at a loss as to what your post, with all the cut and paste, has conveyed.
The qoute from Rumi can be interpreted as many things and one way is non-dualism which is what Advaita menas. Poetry resonates with whatever we already are tuned to. Rumi was a Sufi saint from Afghanistan. Sufis are mystics who are in tune with non-dualism as well. So, yes i was pleasantly surprised to see that quote pop up on this thread.
Other than that I am very curious what conclusion you have drawn from the collage of quotes.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I am sorry, I am at a loss as to what your post, with all the cut and paste, has conveyed.
The qoute from Rumi can be interpreted as many things and one way is non-dualism which is what Advaita menas. Poetry resonates with whatever we already are tuned to. Rumi was a Sufi saint from Afghanistan. Sufis are mystics who are in tune with non-dualism as well. So, yes i was pleasantly surprised to see that quote pop up on this thread.
Other than that I am very curious what conclusion you have drawn from the collage of quotes.
What is duality if not splitting things into right or wrong? Splitting people into us vs them? Its a man vs women problem for both if you.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:16 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
All "atheists" believe (as a group) is that there is no God. 99% of them don't talk about it, make podcasts, post Youtube videos, or post on Internet forums.
And I don't see in Trans' post that CB was responding to where he said what CD says he said.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:17 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Thank you. Yet they have a whole forum and also infiltrate religion. Gotcha.
They/we infiltrate far less than religion has always attempted to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism