Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2021, 05:43 AM

16,701 posts, read 15,697,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Fierce is a great word, with positive energy. My love for my children and grand children is fierce. I dont know in what context i said that in this thread, and without that information i cannot respond to you.
I agree many religions do propagate harmful ideas, such as sexism and racism. I believe those ideas should be opposed, not met with silence. I view silence in the face injustice and inequality as compliance.
So that brings us back to the topic. Are atheist against religion or not?
Do they know?
Are they only against god but not religion? Does that even make sense? Apparently yes, some atheists like religion, just not god. Think about that for a minute.
If they are against religion, what harmful aspects of it do they oppose exactly? Going to church? Praying? What? If they believe racism and sexism do not exist, why not?
The crux of you post seems to be this: Are atheist against religion or not?

The answer is some are, but most don't care. You speak as if "atheists" are all of one mind, but it is not like that. There are millions of them in the US alone. The only thing they have in common is that they don't believe in God. Anything else said about them probably doesn't apply to very many of them. All those questions in your post can be answered this way: Some sat yes and some say no and some don't care.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you see the treatment of Lgbt as a straight vs gay issue?
No. From the early days, in an office where I saw it decriminalised and some few coming out, the view of straights was 'All the more girls for us'. So long as they didn't try to recruit (some did) it was not a problem.

It was (since it stopped being a bad and immoral, in fact, law against gays) purely gays vs homophobes, who wanted to go back to the days of repression and criminalisation. Still do. Now the Law is treating them as the criminals.

I need hardly point up where this is still the same with some areas where the law is still repressive and irrational and (in my view) immoral, and the public perception driven by ignorance and malice hasn't put pressure on it to change.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-05-2021 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 06:38 AM

16,002 posts, read 7,052,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The crux of you post seems to be this: Are atheist against religion or not?

The answer is some are, but most don't care. You speak as if "atheists" are all of one mind, but it is not like that. There are millions of them in the US alone. The only thing they have in common is that they don't believe in God. Anything else said about them probably doesn't apply to very many of them. All those questions in your post can be answered this way: Some sat yes and some say no and some don't care.
If you search this thread there are far more posts talking a about religion, how to evaluate one, how hard it is to leave one, about how atheists are marginalized by believers. Not a whole lot about god, other that the one i posted asking the same question. I find it hard to believe atheists simply don’t believe in god and that’s the end of it, although i am sure there are some. But this forum is not about disbelief in god, it is about how harmful religion is. I dont believe in god, end of story. What else is there to discuss?
ETA: BUDDHA stopped short of saying there is a god. He did not affirm one. That is why he was silent.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:44 AM

Non- belief is ot only very simple, but hardly worth talking about. The complications start with those who not only beleive in God but think that as many people as possible should also believe in God, societies should value, respect and be guided by religion and that families should support the indoctrination of their kids into the religion.

That makes it more than the 'non -belief' of atheism and makes it a 'what are atheists going to do about a system that wants to see us gone?' matter. Not atheism per se, but a very serious and often complex social knock -on from that.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-05-2021 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Non- belief is ot only very simple, but hardly worth talking about. The complications start with those who not only beleive in God but think that as many people as possible should also believe in God, societies should value, respect and be guided by religion and that families should support the indoctrination of their kids into the religion.

That makes it more than the 'non -belief' of atheism and makes it a 'what are atheists going to do about a system that wants to see us gone?' matter. Not atheism per se, but a very serious and often complex social knock -on from that.
So atheist believe they can control what people THINK?

Old 03-05-2021, 07:08 AM

16,701 posts, read 15,697,489 times
Quote:
All "atheists" believe (as a group) is that there is no God. 99% of them don't talk about it, make podcasts, post Youtube videos, or post on Internet forums.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:16 AM

16,807 posts, read 5,003,423 times
Quote:
Influence, not control. And we can not influence every one.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Influence, not control. And we can not influence every one.
Influence them to believe in a non-belief?

Old 03-05-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
All "atheists" believe (as a group) is that there is no God. 99% of them don't talk about it, make podcasts, post Youtube videos, or post on Internet forums.
Thank you. Yet they have a whole forum and also infiltrate religion. Gotcha.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
We are certain that we have the better argument; what people think about that is up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism