Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 09:15 AM

15,895 posts, read 6,358,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
In that case i was not attributing motives to anyone, i was theorizing that this is possible because atheists claim that fear drives belief in god, and seem unable to accept otherwise. This thought of hellthreat (first time i have seen this phrase used by atheist here) resides in the mind of atheists, not in the mind of believers who say it is heaven they seek. Who is attributing motive to whom here? And for what purpose?
Me? I didn't think I was attributing motive to you. I thought you just didn't understand how atheists think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 09:31 AM

16,055 posts, read 7,074,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Me? I didn't think I was attributing motive to you. I thought you just didn't understand how atheists think.
I am a fast learner. I am learning how here in this forum atheists think all the time. But i am hopeful that there are other ways of being atheist[b]and[b]think.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I am a fast learner. I am learning how here in this forum atheists think all the time. But i am hopeful that there are other ways of being atheist[b]and[b]think.
What are you hopeful about seeing? What is it you don't like?

Old 03-04-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
What are you hopeful about seeing? What is it you don't like?
That is a very general qustion.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times
Quote:
Nicely spoken for a true feminist. Everybody is a feminist now. What must be done is clear.
Never really sure of what you actually mean with your words.

I am a maleatheists over the age of 70. My attitudes on many subjects are independent of my atheism or age. Not exactly sure how independent of my gender.

You started this thread to indirectly smear all atheists of being sexist by quilt by association. You have remained loyal to that accusation this entire thread and basically ignored or twisted posters that tried to show you otherwise.

What must be done is clear? Other than ignore your accusations I am not sure what is clear. Fighting sexism is not my most important fight, I don't even think it is my wife's biggest battle to make this world a better place. You certainly have a very defined idea of what you what done in this World.

I am positive I would not wish to join you in battle as I do not trust your goals.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
That is a very general qustion.
You mentioned the tern fierce. That's a compliment in my world but I'm assuming you meant it as aggressive which it's necessarily a compliment unless that's what a person is going for. What are you seeing as aggression? It looks to me that atheists are no more aggressive than believers in combatting what we see as harmful religious ideas. Granted we all are at risk of overstepping when we do that.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You mentioned the tern fierce. That's a compliment in my world but I'm assuming you meant it as aggressive which it's necessarily a compliment unless that's what a person is going for. What are you seeing as aggression? It looks to me that atheists are no more aggressive than believers in combatting what we see as harmful religious ideas. Granted we all are at risk of overstepping when we do that.
Fierce is a great word, with positive energy. My love for my children and grand children is fierce. I dont know in what context i said that in this thread, and without that information i cannot respond to you.
I agree many religions do propagate harmful ideas, such as sexism and racism. I believe those ideas should be opposed, not met with silence. I view silence in the face injustice and inequality as compliance.
So that brings us back to the topic. Are atheist against religion or not?
Do they know?
Are they only against god but not religion? Does that even make sense? Apparently yes, some atheists like religion, just not god. Think about that for a minute.
If they are against religion, what harmful aspects of it do they oppose exactly? Going to church? Praying? What? If they believe racism and sexism do not exist, why not?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Fierce is a great word, with positive energy. My love for my children and grand children is fierce. I dont know in what context i said that in this thread, and without that information i cannot respond to you.
I agree many religions do propagate harmful ideas, such as sexism and racism. I believe those ideas should be opposed, not met with silence. I view silence in the face injustice and inequality as compliance.
Do they know?
Are they only against god but not religion? Does that even make sense? Apparently yes, some atheists like religion, just not god. Think about that for a minute.
If they are against religion, what harmful aspects of it do they oppose exactly? Going to church? Praying? What? If they believe racism and sexism do not exist, why not?
Atheists don't believe theistic claims. That's the end of it. There can be no for or against God by definition. Some may be against all religions, some may not care, and some are against the same things believers are. Me personally, I fall into pointing out the harmful effects of religion. If we could combat the harmful effects I wouldn't have a problem with religion as I see the benefits of it as well. Some atheists don't do the cost/benefit thing and simply argue the validity.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:11 AM

63,929 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Do they know?
You are fighting the wrong enemy, CB. Societal and institutional level racism and sexism have been defeated here. The more intransigent problem is individual racism and sexism which is not easily eliminated. I suspect you do not acknowledge any such distinction and continue to rail against societal and institutional racism and sexism.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Atheists don't believe theistic claims. That's the end of it. There can be no for or against God by definition. Some may be against all religions, some may not care, and some are against the same things believers are. Me personally, I fall into pointing out the harmful effects of religion. If we could combat the harmful effects I wouldn't have a problem with religion as I see the benefits of it as well. Some atheists don't do the cost/benefit thing and simply argue the validity.
Theistic claims are based on belief. Only theists need to believe in them to be believers. Atheist need not believe, there is no law against it.
Harmful effects of organized religion are combatted with legislation. Not by attacking people because they want to pray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism