Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2021, 05:00 PM

50,122 posts, read 20,884,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Obviously you are one of those atheists who not only does not believe in god, you are also against religion.you also deny sexism and racism exist in absolute terms. From your posts about women, and diversity, i am sorry to say, you dont exhibit very positive feelings for them that includes respect. I can go cull your posts for quotes if you like. It will be very easy.
So to get back on the topic which is what i am debating, as an atheist who is against religion, why would you not be more assertive about the evil of sexism and racism that religion definitely has spawned?

Obviously - and this has been obvious for a long time - you are into atheist bashing, and mining quotes to try to prove that is not so new either,.

I am not against religion - in its' place. I even rather like it, culturally. I am against it having a grip on society, politics, Law, education and - if it could do it - science.

In case you had forgotten, this is atheism forum, not race and sexism forum. Though I have overstepped the line to say a few things that I reckon needed saying. Anyone who by this time has doubts about where I stand on sexism, sex and gender issues by now isn't going to listen to what I say anyway. So do what you feel you have to.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-05-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 07:10 PM

16,203 posts, read 7,169,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Obviously - and this has been obvious for a long time - you are into atheist bashing, and mining quotes to try to prove that is not so new either,.

I am not against religion - in its' place. I even rather like it, culturally. I am against it having a grip on society, politics, Law, education and - if it could do it - science.

In case you had forgotten, this is atheism forum, not race and sexism forum. Though I have overstepped the line to say a few things that I reckon needed saying. Anyone who by this time has doubts about where I stand on sexism, sex and gender issues by now isn't going to listen to what I say anyway. So do what you feel you have to.
What exactly liking religion culturally means? Can you share some examples? Where do you live that religion has such a grip on everything?

Old 03-05-2021, 07:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Quote:
What exactly liking religion culturally means? Can you share some examples? Where do you live that religion has such a grip on everything?
Paid any attention at all to the US of A the past 4 years?

At all?

Any...?

Didn't think so.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:16 AM

50,122 posts, read 20,884,540 times
Quote:
Does anyone one else get why I can't shake the feeling that lmao...I mean Iwmn...is a She (like God)?

I like old churches, I like Music, and the church commissioned some of the best. I like art and the church had to spend all that lovely money on something rather than spend it on the poor. And the best surviving ancient stuff is temples as they were built to last.

And of course I have no preference which religion it is, so long as the culture is good. I even admire Islamic architecture, though I can't stand their dreadful religion. It is, as you observed before, religious tourism on my part and I feel about appreciating other religions culturally as I do appreciating other countries as a tourist "Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"

Not even Burma 80's - 90's, even with the future Mrs Arq keeping me entertained; after a few weeks, I was more than ready to go home.

And what shall I inflict on you for this impidence?

Never mind. Trying to find a suitable clip is hardly worth the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Paid any attention at all to the US of A the past 4 years?

At all?

Any...?

Didn't think so.
Indeed. It's why I'm here rather than posting in the UK. Religion Has been pushed back from a position of social bullying from where an airline had to positively discriminate in favour if Christianity so as not to be given a bad press by the religion, through Christianity losing clout to where a marriage registrar who tried to do a Kim Davis was told 'do your job or find a new one'.

Still more to be done, but it's the US that is where the problem is, and I'm sure nobody here needs to be shown a video clip of the Problem.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-06-2021 at 02:01 AM..

Old 03-06-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Does anyone one else get why I can't shake the feeling that lmao...I mean Iwmn...is a She (like God)?

I like old churches, I like Music, and the church commissioned some of the best. I like art and the church had to spend all that lovely money on something rather than spend it on the poor. And the best surviving ancient stuff is temples as they were built to last.

And of course I have no preference which religion it is, so long as the culture is good. I even admire Islamic architecture, though I can't stand their dreadful religion. It is, as you observed before, religious tourism on my part and I feel about appreciating other religions culturally as I do appreciating other countries as a tourist "Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"

Not even Burma 80's - 90's, even with the future Mrs Arq keeping me entertained; after a few weeks, I was more than ready to go home.

And what shall I inflict on you for this impidence?

Never mind. Trying to find a suitable clip is hardly worth the hassle.

Indeed. It's why I'm here rather than posting in the UK. Religion Has been pushed back from a position of social bullying from where an airline had to positively discriminate in favour if Christianity so as not to be given a bad press by the religion, through Christianity losing clout to where a marriage registrar who tried to do a Kim Davis was told 'do your job or find a new one'.

Still more to be done, but it's the US that is where the problem is, and I'm sure nobody here needs to be shown a video clip of the Problem.

What exactly do atheists who are against religion, and like you particularly who target Islam, have anything to do with causes to do with Social, Economic, and political justice? When you don't even recognize the effect of racism and sexism exists?

US is an outlier among nations with high GDP that also has large number of believers - 60%. The reason for the high number of believers is directly due to greater disparity in wealth, opportunity, all due to discrimination (Check Pew Research for facts and data.), as is demonstrated by the high number of believers in countries with low GDP and great poverty.

Those countries with high GDP AND LOW percentage of believers is due to the fact that they have higher taxes that support free national health care, free or low cast college education, and other social welfare systems - public transportation, free child care, maternity leave et etc. (PEW research data and inference.)

The US has more people - of a particular party - who deny such measures are necessary for a more equitable society, and give more tax breaks to the wealthy white. The advancements in legislation that have provided some relief were due to the efforts of the victims of discrimination themselves - workers, Black people, and women. Especially for Black people and POC their Churches have been historically, and still are in the present, a source not only of security and solace but also organized political movement demanding equal rights, investment in their communities, criminal justice.

Back to the topic - in another thread- of what is the moral obligation of atheists like you who attack religion, when religion acts in the interests social and criminal justice, alleviating poverty, and providing education when governments do not?

Old 03-06-2021, 07:03 AM

16,043 posts, read 6,417,125 times
Quote:
What exactly do atheists who are against religion, and like you particularly who target Islam, have anything to do with causes to do with Social, Economic, and political justice? When you don't even recognize the effect of racism and sexism exists?

US is an outlier among nations with high GDP that also has large number of believers - 60%. The reason for the high number of believers is directly due to greater disparity in wealth, opportunity, all due to discrimination (Check Pew Research for facts and data.), as is demonstrated by the high number of believers in countries with low GDP and great poverty.

Those countries with high GDP AND LOW percentage of believers is due to the fact that they have higher taxes that support free national health care, free or low cast college education, and other social welfare systems - public transportation, free child care, maternity leave et etc. (PEW research data and inference.)

The US has more people - of a particular party - who deny such measures are necessary for a more equitable society, and give more tax breaks to the wealthy white. The advancements in legislation that have provided some relief were due to the efforts of the victims of discrimination themselves - workers, Black people, and women. Especially for Black people and POC their Churches have been historically, and still are in the present, a source not only of security and solace but also organized political movement demanding equal rights, investment in their communities, criminal justice.

Back to the topic - in another thread- of what is the moral obligation of atheists like you who attack religion, when religion acts in the interests social and criminal justice, alleviating poverty, and providing education when governments do not?
Either we are too hard on Islam or not hard enough.

Keep in mind it is ideas we are "attacking" and not people. Criticism isn't always an "attack".

Old 03-06-2021, 07:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,658,031 times
I just think you are using wrong poster child for what you are saying.

**edit after the two post posted after*** ... I mean that to CB.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 03-06-2021 at 07:20 AM..

Old 03-06-2021, 07:11 AM

16,043 posts, read 6,417,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I just think you are using wrong poster child for what you are saying.
I think you might be onto something with your broken brain thing. There are people out there that want to punish other people for their "wrong beliefs" instead of just trying to change the belief. Those people stand in the way of whatever is trying to be discussed.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Either we are too hard on Islam or not hard enough.

Keep in mind it is ideas we are "attacking" and not people. Criticism isn't always an "attack".
There is no religion without people. When you attack their religion as terrorism, you are endangering people's lives. When you call Covid as China Virus, old asian men and women are getting pushed down on the pavement, breaking bones. They are ALL people. Words can be weapons.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,658,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think you might be onto something with your broken brain thing. There are people out there that want to punish other people for their "wrong beliefs" instead of just trying to change the belief. Those people stand in the way of whatever is trying to be discussed.
More generally, so it doesn't seem so bad. Understanding, of course, we are all "guilty" to some degree. How do we sort out who is who.

List the personality types, personality disorders, and types of thinkers. Then list how they may answer questions on any given topic. Here is the kicker. Add in addiction, abuse, and mental illness.

Example: How would an abused person talk about anything that reminds them of the abuse? They may sound "broken", well they are, but you know what I mean. They may not actually be "broken", they may just be suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism