Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 10:16 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,652,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Freedom of speech is one thing.
Sometimes freedom of speech hurts people. Sometimes it's deadly.

Where's the balance?
bingo ...

But you do not understand that the majority and the minority both have responsibilities. If a girl wears a string bakinki, they have to accept that I am looking. I have to make sure I am damn sure they don't see me looking. Both sides make mistakes and get "caught".

I can imagine if I started a white American male pride site. Following the exact same rules as a black American male pride site. Say the exact same things they do. How you would freak out. You wouldn't be able to control yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 10:17 AM

16,199 posts, read 7,163,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I have no idea where the line is on that one. Hopefully the balance is what we're trying to figure out.
Dont attack religion by singling out one, like Islam. That is how you draw the line. By doing that you ARE, ignorance is not innocence, endangering muslims who are just like you, who want just what you want, to live your life, earn your money, and take care of your family, and do all that in safety. That is where free speech stops.
Free speech is never about hate mongering. It is about you freedom to speak truth to power, to criticize government action.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:25 AM

16,040 posts, read 6,412,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Dont attack religion by singling out one, like Islam. That is how you draw the line. By doing that you ARE, ignorance is not innocence, endangering muslims who are just like you, who want just what you want, to live your life, earn your money, and take care of your family, and do all that in safety. That is where free speech stops.
Free speech is never about hate mongering. It is about you freedom to speak truth to power, to criticize government action.
Is that what you think its going on? I invite you to go into the Christianity forum and argue with them about who is being singled out. It seems to me its other believers that care who gets called out on their BS and who doesn't.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:26 AM

51,210 posts, read 24,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
bingo ...

But you do not understand that the majority and the minority both have responsibilities. If a girl wears a string bakinki, they have to accept that I am looking. I have to make sure I am damn sure they don't see me looking. Both sides make mistakes and get "caught".

I can imagine if I started a white American male pride site. Following the exact same rules as a black American male pride site. Say the exact same things they do. How you would freak out. You wouldn't be able to control yourself.
You're making assumptions about what I think.

And they -- at least in this case -- are wrong assumptions.

There is such a thing as balance. And that is what I aim for. For example, I can honor Thomas Jefferson for many things...but not all things.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
If you want to talk about "pure free speech", it can be about anything the person wishes it to be.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:28 AM

16,040 posts, read 6,412,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
bingo ...

You and your sides.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:29 AM

50,115 posts, read 20,872,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Transponder, you are not the originator of non-belief. If someone says Trans has no fashion sense it is not a slap at atheism. There is life outside of dogma, or at least that's true for some.
Maybe I should remind you of the post at the bottom of this.

Quote:
You speak as if you know all about what is going on in the US. Most people do know because US news does suck up all the air. And now you suddenly have no idea who calls it China virus. One can engage with some one who is truly ignorant. To engage with someone who plays ignorant as a debating tool is a waste of time. Have a life.
I don't care what anyone thinks about Transponder, or what anyone says. In fact if it's a valid correction, I welcome it. But this was using an (admittedly valid) point that I didn't know what was going on in America (I was talking about atheists here on the Forum) to try to slap me down and invite me to end the discussion. cb may flounce, But I'm not going to.

Quote:
Even if we are successful and shutting them down that doesn't solve the problem. Drag it out in the open and confront it. Plenty of people who have these outdated beliefs may see the need to change them at least. It works for me to see some my erroneous thinking by seeing an exaggerated version if it.
Yes. That's a good point. Driving it underground doesn't solve the problem. Bringing it out and confronting it and showing how the thinking is wrong is a better way, though some see it as dangerous. Especially if they suspect there might be a few valid points, or at least persuasive.

a few pages back you'd have seen how I thought that talking a debate out rather than just having it all denounced, squashed and regarded as Not Existing was the better way.

But when you hear that one side prefers to rely on demonization, denunciation and seeing that only One side gets to be heard, you know something is not right.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-06-2021 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-06-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
You and your sides.
Unfortunately, many Americans (and I suppose most people everywhere) tend to look at most things as binary. Good or bad. Right or wrong. The real choices are a spectrum.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,652,736 times
Quote:
You and your sides.
yeah, I hear ya ... but its true. How would a white pride site be received. Even if using the exact same statements as a black pride site.

BTW ... there is an acceptable answer for me. As the reason I would never create one.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:33 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,030,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Maybe I should remind you of the post at the bottom of this.

I don't care what anyone thinks about Transponder, or what anyone says. In fact if it's a valid correction, I welcome it. But this was using an (admittedly valid) point that I didn't know what was going on in America (I was talking about atheists here on the Forum) to try to slap me down and invite me to end the discussion. cb may flounce, But I'm not going to.
The atheist on these forums do not represent the whole. When all else fails IRL, the internet is all some have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism