Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 12:39 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Unfortunately, many Americans (and I suppose most people everywhere) tend to look at most things as binary. Good or bad. Right or wrong. The real choices are a spectrum.
Exactly what the damned liberal Christians call out the Bible literalists for on the Christianity forum.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:47 PM

50,852 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My first introduction to a unisex bathroom was in either Austria or Germany* in 1971. There were two doors along the hallway. I passed the one with the ladies' symbol and entered the men's a few steps further. As I entered, a woman did as well, from their door. Both doors led to the same room. It was a European wow-moment.

*Or maybe France... I'd just turned 20, was hitchhiking around Europe and mostly living rough. Eating in a restaurant was a rare treat. And the intervening 49 years have added a tinge of haze to the memories.
I haven't experienced that yet.

But the first time I visited Thailand in 1986 I was standing at a urinal and a cleaning LADY came in, and at first I thought I must be in the wrong restroom...but it was a urinal...and I learned that men there often clean ladies restrooms, and women often clean men's restrooms. The logic escapes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 02:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I haven't experienced that yet.

But the first time I visited Thailand in 1986 I was standing at a urinal and a cleaning LADY came in, and at first I thought I must be in the wrong restroom...but it was a urinal...and I learned that men there often clean ladies restrooms, and women often clean men's restrooms. The logic escapes me.
I Experienced the cleaning lady in the men's bathroom at the airport in Cuba. Thought, well if I'm using an urinal I'm in the correct place. I've also experienced a young lady barging into a men's saying the line up wss so to gest and she really had to go. The other men just chuckled and told her to go ahead. It's not like the stalls don't have walls.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:00 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You speak as if you know all about what is going on in the US. Most people do know because US news does suck up all the air. And now you suddenly have no idea who calls it China virus. One can engage with some one who is truly ignorant. To engage with someone who plays ignorant as a debating tool is a waste of time. Have a life.
Transponder lives in Wales. He may or may not have access to TV coverage of American politics, so he may not have heard any American politicians refer to it as China virus, like those of us in the US have. The correct name for the virus is SARS-CoV-2, but most people have simply called it Coronavirus. The disease it causes is called Covid-19, for CoronaVirusDisease discovered in 2019. I'm not going to speculate on why people have called in China virus, but I have deleted that term in any forum I moderate. Some have deemed that term racist, and it has caused some problems for Asian-Americans. We don't tolerate racism on City-Data.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Your opinion about Islam, as ignorant and biased as it is, is still just your opinion. It is not fact or truth, it is in fact a lie. And there are restrictions to the First Amendments per US law which is applicable to CD, to this forum. So there is no absolute right to free speech.
The First Amendment protects citizens against government actions. It is not applicable on a privately owned web site like City-Data.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:02 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The First Amendment protects citizens against government actions. It is not applicable on a privately owned web site like City-Data.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and State Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola) announced a bill before the 87th Texas Legislature that will "help prohibit social media companies from censoring Texans based on the viewpoints they express."
According to the Texas Legislature, Senate Bill 12 would give Texans a way to get back online if a social media company bans or blocks their account based on their political or religious views.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics...exans/2571319/

Old 03-06-2021, 09:50 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and State Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola) announced a bill before the 87th Texas Legislature that will "help prohibit social media companies from censoring Texans based on the viewpoints they express."
According to the Texas Legislature, Senate Bill 12 would give Texans a way to get back online if a social media company bans or blocks their account based on their political or religious views.
They should have brought that out for the Dixie Chick's or as they are now know as The Chicks.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
They should have brought that out for the Dixie Chick's or as they are now know as The Chicks.
The bill is unenforceable. Texas law can't force a California company to do anything.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The bill is unenforceable. Texas law can't force a California company to do anything.
We'll just have to wait and see.

A grand jury in Tyler County accused Netflix, which has been streaming the award-winning French film, of promoting lewd visual material depicting a child, prosecutors said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/07/b...lix-texas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism