Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 11:37 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Sorry, I did not think that providing additional information meant you were uneducated.

I do not disagree, many other cultures had marital unions. I was referring to the concept of a marital contract where the woman has rights supported by law.

The concept of marriage in the Catholic Church evolved over the centuries. In the first few centuries of christianity chastity and virginity were given greater importance than marriage. The early Christians wanted the virginity and chastity of Jesus. However, Saint Augustine in the 4th century gave marriage a lot of importance and it eventually became a sacrament which to this day is still perfprmed even if the rate of marriage is going down.

I do not doubt that very strong women have been around. However, it is difficult to get around biology, Males evolved to be larger, stronger, aggressive, and more violent. This is just biology, I do not think men got together one day and decided to oppress women. BY the way there are species with no sexual dimorphism and the male and females look nearly identical.

Here are two love birds. It would be difficult to figure out which one is the male.
After over 30 years of marriage I've come to seriously question marriage altogether. I'm going to give it at least one more year, but sometimes I have to wonder who came up with this concept in the first place, and why???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 12:03 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thanks. Really. I'm good.
You’re welcome. Truly. It’s all gravy, baby.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:36 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
After over 30 years of marriage I've come to seriously question marriage altogether. I'm going to give it at least one more year, but sometimes I have to wonder who came up with this concept in the first place, and why???
Are you talking about the modern notion of romantic marriage that’s only a couple hundred years old? Before then, marriage was largely a business transaction (and for some people it remains as such).

Old 04-24-2021, 12:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Sorry, I did not think that providing additional information meant you were uneducated.

I do not disagree, many other cultures had marital unions. I was referring to the concept of a marital contract where the woman has rights supported by law.

The concept of marriage in the Catholic Church evolved over the centuries. In the first few centuries of christianity chastity and virginity were given greater importance than marriage. The early Christians wanted the virginity and chastity of Jesus. However, Saint Augustine in the 4th century gave marriage a lot of importance and it eventually became a sacrament which to this day is still perfprmed even if the rate of marriage is going down.

I do not doubt that very strong women have been around. However, it is difficult to get around biology, Males evolved to be larger, stronger, aggressive, and more violent. This is just biology, I do not think men got together one day and decided to oppress women. BY the way there are species with no sexual dimorphism and the male and females look nearly identical.

Here are two love birds. It would be difficult to figure out which one is the male.
I'm wondering but did you know matriarch societies have existed ? Ones where women own the property and make decisions and estates are passed through from mother to daughters.

As far as other species goes, bull elephants are larger and strong than cow elephants however the herd is run by the matriarch and males are kicked our upon maturing. I think elk herds are somewhat similar.

So sexual dimorphism does not mean that the male is the dominant gender even when they are the larger one. Both human and other species demostrates that as not only possible but thst it actually occurs.

Your Bible is not the model of how women are to be treated as equals. Are their not passages that men today use to keep women "in their place " whatever that was supposed to be.

Did Jesus die a virgin? If so how does that translate for people to remain virgins until marriage if he beer married nor had sex? And wasn't the importance placed on the woman's virginity and not the man's

You need to look at the history of the world not the history of Christianity with all the bad parts removed. If you ignore what happened in other religions , cultures and customs it becomes to easy to claim human traits as Christians as you won't know any difference.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:50 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
In the past marriage was the only protection a woman had. Today women have reach equality and hence may not necessarily need marriage. So it makes sense that marriage is on the decline. I hope things work out for you, 30 years is a long time.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:57 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
In the past marriage was the only protection a woman had. Today women have reach equality and hence may not necessarily need marriage. So it makes sense that marriage is on the decline. I hope things work out for you, 30 years is a long time.
When I went to a school my first grade teacher was living with a man and they spent most of their adult lives together. This was in the 50s. But yes that's pretty modern times.

I don't think females have reach equality yet. There is still a ways to go. Too many men of my generation are still sexists and even later generations still put up blocks that are unnecessary.

But then maybe neither of us are in the best position to make claims on this topic.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:58 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Even as our Founding Fathers established a separation of church and state, setting the stage for a secular society, women at the time didn't even have a right to vote, and a woman's choice (about you know what) was legal! Here too I believe a mistake is being made about cause effect related to religion and these freedoms we enjoy (or don't).

Yes, religion has been and continues to be a big influence on all our lives. For better or worse...

"Americans United for Life also describes itself on its website as working to “restore a culture of life.” Of course, when the founding fathers met in a sweltering hall in Pennsylvania to declare independence, such a culture was not even a twinkle in their eyes."

Peel away the layers and the problem is really one of power. The power that white men have held sway going back to the beginning. In government and in religion. Only recently have we begun to understand how all that power has been promoted and maintained, at the expense of just about all others who were not white males. I'm a white male and not not afraid to admit this simple fact. That's what objective thinking allows, requires. Even about ourselves.

All started when we started letting women read books other than the Bible...
All started when women were allowed to read. They were not even allowed to read the bible, a universal ban in all religions.
Why should you be afraid? It is not the whiteness but the power that accrues simply because.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I'm wondering but did you know matriarch societies have existed ? Ones where women own the property and make decisions and estates are passed through from mother to daughters.
My mother ran the household and the checkbook. My dad went to work and gave her all the money he made. I do the same; my wife runs the show, I just go to work and bring home the cash. It is a very nice arrangement, she is my boss. I have no issues with that.

Quote:
As far as other species goes, bull elephants are larger and strong than cow elephants however the herd is run by the matriarch and males are kicked our upon maturing. I think elk herds are somewhat similar.

So sexual dimorphism does not mean that the male is the dominant gender even when they are the larger one. Both human and other species demostrates that as not only possible but thst it actually occurs.
Sure, there are exceptions to the rule. But human males were much more aggressive and stronger. And do not forget reproduction. Imagine what is like to be a female in the year 1500 and getting pregnant every year. I imagine trying to have a career and an education with a litter of children and frequent nine months pregnancies.

Quote:
Your Bible is not the model of how women are to be treated as equals. Are their not passages that men today use to keep women "in their place " whatever that was supposed to be.
Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but the number of bible passages that encourage mento treat women properly is quite large.

Quote:
Did Jesus die a virgin? If so how does that translate for people to remain virgins until marriage if he beer married nor had sex? And wasn't the importance placed on the woman's virginity and not the man's
We do not know if Jesus is real or not. Who knows? Religion is made up. However, from history we do know the very early Christians valued virginity and chastity for both men and women. This persisted for a long time into the Victorian era.

Quote:
You need to look at the history of the world not the history of Christianity with all the bad parts removed. If you ignore what happened in other religions , cultures and customs it becomes to easy to claim human traits as Christians as you won't know any difference.
I am obviously more familiar with the Western Civilization history. I do know the Muslims also value virginity and chastity, but they are an offshoot of Christianity. Ancient China marriage is totally different. I guess we could google that.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
When I went to a school my first grade teacher was living with a man and they spent most of their adult lives together. This was in the 50s. But yes that's pretty modern times.

I don't think females have reach equality yet. There is still a ways to go. Too many men of my generation are still sexists and even later generations still put up blocks that are unnecessary.

But then maybe neither of us are in the best position to make claims on this topic.
Birth control became a thing in 1960. A lot has been gained in 60 years thanks to birth control. Most persons in college are women, most people obtaining PhDs are women. Most persons in mental health institutions are men. Most on prison are men, most dropping out of high school are men, most dying of suicide are men. Things are rapidly improving for women thanks to science.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
that can only happen when the victimized are part of the conversation.
eta: prayer will help
Victimhood leads to low self esteem, anger, depression, resentment, nihilism, etc. The list is long.

Resentment is like personally taking poison and expecting your enemy to die form it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism