Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 07:45 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I suggest you stop seeing the promise of America as "good enuf".
Is a work in progress Phet. Stop comparing to Utopia (or Nirvana).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 07:47 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
exactly. and don't claim it never happened. and don't whitewash the facts of history. that is propaganda, and it is revisionist.
I think you're misusing the term "revisionism".

Old 04-23-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Maybe we need to define respect. Acceptance of other’s ways and recognition of it is respect.
You spent a whole day basically saying the opposite.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Attachment to one’s ethnicity, parentage, even gender, and possessions and bonds are not the real self. They are all transient. Spirituality is faith in this system of belief and conducting our life accordingly. It is a way of being.
If i dont believe in this I am just me. Woman, mother, member of my community, my work, my family, my friends, my values and ethics. I fall back on me! And it better be solid!
You remind me of Ayn Rand. She firmly states that it is improper to feel pride about ancestry. IN fact, she calls it a form of racism. She says that pride comes from oneself.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Is a work in progress Phet. Stop comparing to Utopia (or Nirvana).
You've never hear me mention utopia, and I have my doubts about nibanna.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Only in the last one hundred years. Muslim countries have has female leaders as has India. In many of the native tribes women wete treated more as equal than in the Christian world.

Women were mere property in the Bible. Yes if you ignore the Bible or the first 1920 years of Christianity plus how women were treated by other nations or religions you may be correct.

How fdio you know it was Judeo-Christian vales and not speaking the English language that is responsible for women being treated better now that they are currently in some non Christian nations? In the Jewish religion women count for one half of a man in some things such as a quorum for a service. When I struck the age of 13 i counted twice as much as my older sister or mother did, in fact I was equal to both of them combined.

You refuse to present a list of those Judeo-Christian vales and culture that we grew up so we can see if they are indeed part of that.

Actually in a couple of native tribes women were the leaders of peace and men of war. Your country only just recently allowed women to serve in combat. How is the treatment of females in the last 100 years or the last 20 representing the Judeo-Christian culture? In fact in some Christian majority countries female genetila mutation still takes place and it is completely absent in some Muslim countries in Asia. Those Christian countries do not treat women as equals. The countries can be found on Wikipedia if you don't believe me.
MAN is a barbaric beast.

Sadly humans evolved with sexual dimorphism where the male was larger, stronger, full of testosterone, and more aggressive. Women evolved smaller, less aggressive, agreeable, saddled with yearly pregnancies form age 13 till menopause. Evolution was cruel to the female. It was never easy for women to be the equal of men under those circumstances.

Women promptly advanced once men became more civilized and contraception became available in 1960. Now women are far ahead of men in many areas. This is happening because society is more advanced. And this time is not necessarily to Christianity. I have no issues admitting that.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
You've never hear me mention utopia, and I have my doubts about nibanna.
Phet: Why is it that you guys do not get figures of speech? It seems that being a literalist is a requisite to be an atheist.

A utopia is an imagined community or society that possesses highly desirable or nearly perfect qualities for its citizens. A utopia is impossible and yet man think about it. That is what I call the religion like behavior of some that no not believe in God.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Phet: Why is it that you guys do not get figures of speech? It seems that being a literalist is a requisite to be an atheist.

A utopia is an imagined community or society that possesses highly desirable or nearly perfect qualities for its citizens. A utopia is impossible and yet man think about it. That is what I call the religion like behavior of some that no not believe in God.
I guess I'll have to repeat it. You said that I was comparing America to utopia. Fine. Show me where I ever used that language. Show me. Give me the thread and post number.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll have to repeat it. You said that I was comparing America to utopia. Fine. Show me where I ever used that language. Show me. Give me the thread and post number.
The better things get the more people complain.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Some people have nothing better to do than yank chains.

Can you say "overcompensating," boys and girls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism