Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 02:39 PM

16,002 posts, read 7,052,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Are you Indian, or from another ethnic background that predominantly professes Hinduism? If so, you would have that to “fall back on.” Aside from being American, I’m just an Ashkenazi Jew.
What do you mean fall back on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 02:46 PM

16,002 posts, read 7,052,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The end result is that women have the most freedom in nations that are based on Judeo Christian values.
There are many countries, such as Croatia, and states in the US, where women are losing their right to abortion because of christian values. Women are not safe in any religion.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,332,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There are many countries, such as Croatia, and states in the US, where women are losing their right to abortion because of christian values. Women are not safe in any religion.
Probably from a male perspective that doesn't count

Old 04-23-2021, 03:32 PM

9,357 posts, read 13,024,137 times
Quote:
What do you mean fall back on?
I mean, if you weren’t a practicing Hindu, you wouldn’t “need” to be a cultural Hindu, since you find that concept distasteful, because Hinduism isn’t an ethnic religion—whether you’re Indian, or from another group that has predominantly adopted Hinduism, or are from some other background but gravitated toward Hinduism separate and apart from your background.

If you are born a Jew to two ethnically Jewish parents, you remain a Jew, short of actively converting to another religion (and even then, most of the world, including many Jews, will continue to see you as a Jew).

That’s not so say I feel resigned to my identity. I take great pride in who I am and where I come from. But I’m aware that even if I were one of those self-loathing types, it wouldn’t make a lick of difference to how everyone else would see me.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:05 PM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think you just jumped the shark, mensa. There certainly are and the differences between cultures operating under them and those operating under other value systems are stark. Your focus on whether or not the Judeo-Christian system is the origin or exclusive source of the values is irrelevant. The societies currently operating under them are preferable.
In other words, the best of the not very good.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:07 PM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Perhaps those that are taking away that privilege prayed over it.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Christianity was the first religion that advocated peace, turn the other cheek, charity, humility, and the ascetic lifestyle.

This is not true. Hinduism came before Christianity and advocated peace long before the Bible.

https://eternalreligion.org/why-are-hindus-so-peaceful/

Have you heard of a Hindu mass shooter? NEVER.

Have you heard of Hindus hijacking planes in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus blowing them selves up in a market and killing many innocent in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus in the American military or any military killing their fellow men in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus flying aeroplanes into buildings and killing the innocent in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus blowing up buses in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus beheading people in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus taking women captive and making them into sex slaves in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-23-2021 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: replaced missing quote tag

Old 04-23-2021, 04:35 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think you just jumped the shark, mensa. There certainly are and the differences between cultures operating under them and those operating under other value systems are stark. Your focus on whether or not the Judeo-Christian system is the origin or exclusive source of the values is irrelevant. The societies currently operating under them are preferable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I challenge any of you to find anything in Judeo-Christian values that is there uniquely and wasn't borrowed from other, previously existing societies.

Note: I'm in no way saying there is anything wrong in what Christianity teaches. All I'm saying is that it is not original or unique.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:57 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I challenge any of you to find anything in Judeo-Christian values that is there uniquely and wasn't borrowed from other, previously existing societies.

Note: I'm in no way saying there is anything wrong in what Christianity teaches. All I'm saying is that it is not original or unique.
All the great classical composers borrowed from others to create their masterpieces. Nothing happens in a vacuum

The Judeo-Christian values may not have been 100% original but they were taken to greater heights by Christian culture. IN fact the enlightenment grows out of the Christian culture. Of all current civilization on Earth this is the best one we ever had despite all the atrocities of the past. There has never been a better time in world history.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:58 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This is not true. Hinduism came before Christianity and advocated peace long before the Bible.

https://eternalreligion.org/why-are-hindus-so-peaceful/

Have you heard of a Hindu mass shooter? NEVER.

Have you heard of Hindus hijacking planes in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus blowing them selves up in a market and killing many innocent in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus in the American military or any military killing their fellow men in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus flying aeroplanes into buildings and killing the innocent in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus blowing up buses in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus beheading people in the name of Krishna? NEVER

Have you heard of Hindus taking women captive and making them into sex slaves in the name of Krishna? NEVER
See my post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism