Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 11:36 AM

860 posts, read 682,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In a sense, this question is a big part of our discussions here on the Religion & Spirituality" subforum. When you think of it, we atheists are often claiming a disrespect toward our beliefs (or lack therefor) and personal freedom. The religionists are also claiming a disrespect toward their beliefs, particularly christians on this forum, even though -- at least in America -- they claim to be the majority.

So what do individuals deserve in terms of respect when it comes to their religious views?

To get the discussion started, I would suggest that -- without overthinking it -- my view is:

I should respect the right of each person to hold whatever belief system they identify with.
I should respect the right of each person to practice their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) in the privacy of their home, their place of worship, or their mind, but not where the practice of their religion intersects with other people's religious beliefs.
I owe not one ounce of demonstrable respect or disrespect for their religious belief system (here I am not talking about a discussion such as what we have here on a forum; I'm talking real world).

Perhaps we even need to establish what the word respect means. To be honest, the definitions I just looked up didn't seem appropriate to the question.
I could not agree more.
Most religions are good for what they were created for - controlling the masses and trying to instill a code of public morality.

Other than that they are just folks deciding to follow the writings of another person.

Prophets are nothing but people with strong opinions/motives and a soap box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 11:38 AM

15,996 posts, read 7,048,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Oh how quickly some are to pull out that sad unfair accusation. Quite sorry you feel that way as well.

Did you look up Judaism?

What sort of anti-trope would you accuse me of if someone were going on and on only about the greatness of Italians but always never any mention of the mafia? Call that what you like, but for me it's the classic case of how we all promote ourselves in the most positive of ways, which also means minimizing or ignoring the negatives. Human nature. Fact, whether you are Jewish, Eskimo or the Pope.
High IQ and smartness can go both ways, so what? Everybody is human, greed knows no limits. Some cultures do dominate certain fields. It is a fact.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:43 AM

1,169 posts, read 752,578 times
Mickey Fitzpatrick: Why are you getting so upset Dad? You don't even believe in God.

Mr. Fitzpatrick: That doesn't mean I'm going to stop being a good Catholic!

Old 04-23-2021, 11:44 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,332,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Yes, and perfected by nations that are based on a Judeo-Christian tradition. Why would any human want to live elsewhere?
Norse Iceland has democracy before the States and you are giving democracy as a Judeo-Christian value.

Next you will be claiming that having children is a Judeo-Christian value as you have failed to Prentice any Judeo-Christian value that is the foundation of our culture. It was a simple question.

Is capitalism one of those values? Democracy ? Wood framed houses? Cities? Interstate highways?

Just what are you talking about? At least MysticPhD tried to answer but you have yet to even back your claim.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems there is the want to get into a mud fight with some today...

Weren't you the one who wrote you are rarely surprised about the gender of people posting in this forum? Is that any more or less sexist? I mean please. Let's keep our hair on. Shall we?
i am admitting that my basis may be sexist as well. but i am usually not wrong in my conclusion, never have been surprised the way you were after so many exchanges. and you are not the first one or the only one, it's ok.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:46 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,332,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
No, the OT is NOT Jewish. The OT is Crstian. The OT and the NT are BOTH Crstian.

The Torah is Jewish. The Torah includes the Talmud, Midrash, rabbinic commentary, and additional works.

To talk about "the non violence of Crstnty" is to utterly and grossly ignore history, to utterly and blatantly whitewash history.
Apparently the history of the way Christians treated the Jews is to be ignored

Old 04-23-2021, 11:51 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,351,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Western countries are more advanced and let us not get into the barbarism of colonization and its robbery of natural resources of the colonies. They also happen to be Christian due to the crusades. So the movement is strictly economical. I know many Indians who have moved back to India, often forgoing great opportunities in STEM. Because of culture and family, not religion. Sometimes they return, these are not easy decisions. Many things go into it, least of all is religion. You have it entirely wrong, like many other things you say and believe.
What a coincidence! The best countries in the world where economic activity is available to immigrants are nations that are based on a Judeo-Christian values. Sweden is a secular as they come, but they are also nuts about Xmas because that is the culture they have.

I don't know of any crusader that went to Sweden to fight Muslim infidels.

Do not be like Phet. Don't be presentist.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:54 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,351,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Norse Iceland has democracy before the States and you are giving democracy as a Judeo-Christian value.

Next you will be claiming that having children is a Judeo-Christian value as you have failed to Prentice any Judeo-Christian value that is the foundation of our culture. It was a simple question.

Is capitalism one of those values? Democracy ? Wood framed houses? Cities? Interstate highways?

Just what are you talking about? At least MysticPhD tried to answer but you have yet to even back your claim.
Humanity is global and most humans share many behaviors and accomplishments. However, this was done best by those that embraced Christianity. That is why non-christians want to immigrate there. Take women: name a place in the world where women have more freedom.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:04 PM

63,855 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Apparently the history of the way Christians treated the Jews is to be ignored
There definitely needs to be a statute of limitations on past grievances or they will continue to fester and engender even more discord and abreaction in each new generation.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
What do you mean by that? Do you look askance at people who are personally atheist but have no fundamental problem with others practicing organized religion?
i have difficulty with atheists having no problem with religion per se, only with god. they participate in the 'cutural' aspects of their religion. I have heard this from both christians and muslims, a "cultural muslim".
what does that mean? They like church music and hymns but not what it says and expresses? like the easter egg hunt but not the resurrection? like the eid feasts but not the fasting? it seems shallow both their atheism and their belief. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism