Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 11:03 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,756,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I really wasn’t trying to be condescending on that point. Would you rather I make fun of your writing style knowing that English isn’t your first language?
We have got a fair bit off-topic, but this about correcting English and/or spelling is close to my heart, because my mother couldn't speak a word of English when my parents emigrated to America. Of course my mother learned English over time, but to this day her accent makes it very hard for people to understand her. Of course hearing accents is yet another pet peeve all too many Americans have that is ultimately born from an anti-immigrant sentiment. Something I find more than a little offensive.

All that aside, however, I always point out that the occasional typo, misspelling and lack of good grammar is nothing anyone should really be nit-picky about. Especially if English is not the first language, but regardless. What's important is the message. Being understood. I've got no problem understanding either of you as you both do quite well at expressing your thoughts and opinions.

"No worries" as they say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 11:08 AM

16,029 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Typically I am not surprised, but I sure was surprised to learn you were not a male after all this time thinking you were...
You think writing is gendered. That is borderline sexist but we will let that pass.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don’t need you to Goysplain my personal identity, much less imply that the crimes of Bernie Madoff, a shande far di Goyim if ever I saw one, are somehow indicative of the Jewish way of life. I’m sorry I took the time to write that long post before seeing your other comment, by which I would have realized it would fall on deaf ears, but maybe other posters will find it enlightening.
Well I thought I understood you, but now I've really got to wonder...

Of course you don't need me to do anything for you. Understood. Where in the name of be reasonable did I imply in any way that what Bernie Madoff did is "somehow indicative of the Jewish way of life." Truly hard to believe you would write such a thing and just plain ridiculous. I've come across this sort of twisted reasoning before, and good we're off-topic, because I know just how ridiculous this sort of thing can get.

Didn't "fall on deaf ears" other than what I quite simply explained about the difference between Judaism and being Jewish. What anyone might find "enlightening" about any of this, I don't know, but to confuse the issue(s) like you do is in no way "enlightening" from a simple facts-of-the-matter standpoint.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You think writing is gendered. That is borderline sexist but we will let that pass.
Seems there is the want to get into a mud fight with some today...

Weren't you the one who wrote you are rarely surprised about the gender of people posting in this forum? Is that any more or less sexist? I mean please. Let's keep our hair on. Shall we?

Old 04-23-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thread drift:

Elijah mentioned Yemeni Jews, which set me off remembering this place down the street from where I worked. Za'atar pita, vegetable soup, potato and mushroom burekas, seasoned chickpeas, homemade hummus...

https://www.zionkoshermarket.com/

Food is what needs to be respected. It brings us together.
No doubt! Not sure there is a cuisine I've met yet that I didn't like!

Old 04-23-2021, 11:12 AM

1,169 posts, read 753,693 times
Launching back to the OP: Well, you did say due respect, IOW that level of respect that is due them.

When I hear "with all due respect" as a preamble to whatever opinion or factoid the speaker launches into next, I always hear a teensy insult there, whether intentional or not.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:14 AM

50,928 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
No doubt! Not sure there is a cuisine I've met yet that I didn't like!
There is for me -- any cuisine where goat/lamb is the primary meat.

But you are evil because you led me off topic. Therefore we must all band together and pray for your christian healing.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:16 AM

16,029 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
I've always been a little puzzled by this "connection to Judaism based on culture, community and ethnic identity." I suppose I have a similar connection to Catholicism because my ethnic identity is Italian and I was raised a Catholic. A Catholic mother and so on, but I don't have anything to do with the Catholic church.

We're both atheists, but I'm not too sure I understand how or why Jewish atheists always seem to claim a similar "connection to Judaism" like you do.
I don't understand either. Particularly atheists who have nothing against religion only god, that I totally do not get.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:18 AM

88,675 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
WHERE'S THE BEEF?
<SLAP>

Up the street, where there's a Kosher steakhouse.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There is for me -- any cuisine where goat/lamb is the primary meat.
Which cuisine is that?

You don't like lamb chops then? I love cheese. Pretty much any cheese, but I don't like goat cheese.

Menudo is another food I can't do. Don't much like eating bugs either. Like was offered on a buffet table we came across in South Africa a few years back, but otherwise I'm good with just about any cuisine as a rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism