Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 08:43 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
There are countless of bible verses where men are encouraged to honor women. Too many to paste here:
https://www.openbible.info/topics/respecting_women

However, that does not mitigate the fact that humans have sexual dimorphism and hence the male would be expected to be dominant. By the same token there are species where the female is larger and and more aggressive. In this instance the female is dominant.

Guess who is dominant? The female routinely kills the male after sex.
1. There's a difference between how a woman wants to be respected and how a man wants to control her being respected.

2. Please show your wife that graphic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 08:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Sexual dimorphism was present in all continents. With few exceptions men were almost always in dominant positions. This was all about biology. At the same time that biology made men protect women and in the past the men were the ones that died in wars. Lastly among the poor-------- and that would be 97% of the population in 1800----both men and women were miserable.

However, Christianity offered marriage to women which was very beneficial. i think the amazonian nordic woman was Lady Brienne from Game of Thrones. You watch too much TV.
I have never watched a single of episode of Game of Thrones. I have read archeological papers written based on actual discoveries.

Instead of giving lectures as if I was an uneducated baffoon how about addressing what I have written.

Women were treated more as equals in some cultures that wete not Christian. And marriage is not a Christian monopoly. Maybe you should read more widely. The Icelandic Sagas as well as other Sagas talk about marriages, families, aunts and uncles and all sort of thinks and were from the pre Christian era. Native Americans lived in family groups and had marriage ceremonies. The phrase of jumping over the broom originates from the Scotiah pre Christian tradition of a couple living together for one year before t9 see if they were compatible . Didn't the Chinese, Mogul, ancient Greeks and Egyptians have marriages, the Hebrew ? Marriage is not a Christian invention and women wete treated very poorly in the Bible. Of course you will refuse to accept any evidence that goes against your belief that if something is good it must have originated in the Judeo-Christian tradition as no other culture was capable of achieving good ideas without being influenced directly by them.

History, archaeology and any other study that does not back you must be instantly rejected.

And you still refuse to provide the distinct Judeo-Christian that forms our culture.

Marriage is not one of them

By the way is Game of Thrones worth watching? Some day I'll look up and link to which museums have skeletons of female warriors however I think you are unlikely to even believe them.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:52 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
There are countless of bible verses where men are encouraged to honor women. Too many to paste here:

However, that does not mitigate the fact that humans have sexual dimorphism and hence the male would be expected to be dominant. By the same token there are species where the female is larger and and more aggressive. In this instance the female is dominant.

Owls have reverse sexual dimorphism and the female does not routine kill her mate. Note that you pick out one terrible example to make your point. You don't see a pile of dead male owls after their mating season.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:07 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:

I would not cite either of the three Abrahamic religions (as traditionally practiced) as respectful of women’s autonomy.

Sure, perhaps the fact that men tend to be larger and stronger than women (and aren’t physically compromised when, say, they reproduce) could explain why males were historically dominant. I’m sure people who are far smarter and more knowledgeable than me have studied that topic to death.

But gender is very much a social construct. I don’t put my son in dresses or give him only dolls to play with as some kind of social experiment, but we don’t try to enforce rigid gender norms either. So far, he tends to like “boyish†things, like cars and trucks, which is fine. The important thing is that he treat women with kindness and respect and view others as equals regardless of their gender identity. Rigid gender norms aren’t good for anyone, but they’re especially bad for people who identify as anything but male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Owls have reverse sexual dimorphism and the female does not routine kill her mate. Note that you pick out one terrible example to make your point. You don't see a pile of dead male owls after their mating season.
I’m claiming Pile of Dead Owls as the name of my indie pop punk band.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:11 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The drastic distortion of the historical record made in this thread is the ludicrous and dishonest claim of "the non-violence of Crstnty." the agenda it advances is whitewashing history by ignoring the historical reality of for instance the violence of the Crusades, the pogroms, the violence of the Protestant Reformation, the expulsion of Jews and Muslims from countries, the display of body parts in Crstn churches, the hatred antagonism and calls for violence and death from Martin Luther which set the stage for the Holocaust.

Luther expressed antagonistic, violent views towards Jews and called for the burnings of their synagogues and their deaths. His rhetoric was not directed at Jews alone but also towards Roman Catholics, Anabaptists, and nontrinitarian Christians.

Martin Luther (one of the most significant figures in Christian history, leader of the Protestant Reformation) wrote this on "What shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews." Note the hatred, violence, incitement to violence and brutal similarity to Hitler.

"First, to set fire to their synagogues or schools … This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians …"
"Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed."
"Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing, and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them."
"Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb …"
"Fifth, I advise that safe-conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews. For they have no business in the countryside …"
"Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them …"
"Seventh, I recommend putting a flail, an ax, a hoe, a spade, a distaff, or a spindle into the hands of young, strong Jews and Jewesses and letting them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow … But if we are afraid that they might harm us or our wives, children, servants, cattle, etc., … then let us emulate the common sense of other nations such as France, Spain, Bohemia, etc., … then eject them forever from the country …"
As I recall, Martin Luther was initially excited because he thought he could convert the Jews en masse. When the Jews didn’t find Martin Luther as brilliant as Martin Luther thought he was, that’s when Luther turned salty.

Fortunately, his views no longer represent the positions of the major branches of modern Lutheranism.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. There's a difference between how a woman wants to be respected and how a man wants to control her being respected.
I agree! some women hate chivalry. They hate it when a man holds the door for them.

Quote:
Please show your wife that graphic.
Ha, ha, that is funny. I guess you belong to that club.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:33 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I agree! some women hate chivalry. They hate it when a man holds the door for them.

You're missing the point.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:45 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I suppose men prayed about keeping women in their place in meetings.
More proof prayer doesn't work...

Old 04-24-2021, 09:50 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is a corollary to the adage:

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat their mistakes.

It is that those who dwell on past grievances are doomed to perpetuate their negative effects within each new generation, fostering unearned victimhood on their descendants.
Balance is key...

Finding that sweet spot in between is the trick, and not easy. Yes, of course we need to be aware and not forget about past and present injustices so as not to repeat them. At the same time, we need to be practical and sensible about what can be done and/or at what point we all need to move on. A good balance of the two is how we make the best progress for all concerned.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:58 AM

15,972 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
More proof prayer doesn't work...
LOL. that is because it rose from a the wrong place, not out of wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism