Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 09:59 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I mean, if you weren’t a practicing Hindu, you wouldn’t “need” to be a cultural Hindu, since you find that concept distasteful, because Hinduism isn’t an ethnic religion—whether you’re Indian, or from another group that has predominantly adopted Hinduism, or are from some other background but gravitated toward Hinduism separate and apart from your background.

If you are born a Jew to two ethnically Jewish parents, you remain a Jew, short of actively converting to another religion (and even then, most of the world, including many Jews, will continue to see you as a Jew).

That’s not so say I feel resigned to my identity. I take great pride in who I am and where I come from. But I’m aware that even if I were one of those self-loathing types, it wouldn’t make a lick of difference to how everyone else would see me.
Again a little confusing, to say the least, because on the one hand you explain you are an atheist. Like me, typically atheists claim to be part of no religion. Then you also explain you are Jewish and that "you remain a Jew, short of actively converting to another religion." Doesn't make sense and contradicts my understanding of what is religion, Judaism and to be Jewish.

I don't want to get into any kind of emotional thing about this. Just expressing my confusion when I would think a Jewish atheist would not confuse these issues. More like another Jewish agnostic friend of mine tends to make these distinctions as I do as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 10:00 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Balance is key...

Finding that sweet spot in between is the trick, and not easy. Yes, of course we need to be aware and not forget about past and present injustices so as not to repeat them. At the same time, we need to be practical and sensible about what can be done and/or at what point we all need to move on. A good balance of the two is how we make the best progress for all concerned.
that can only happen when the victimized are part of the conversation.
eta: prayer will help

Old 04-24-2021, 10:01 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
LOL. that is because it rose from a the wrong place, not out of wisdom.
Wisdom is such an elusive quality...as your recent posts have proven.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
that can only happen when the victimized are part of the conversation.
eta: prayer will help
Particularly your selfish prayers?

Old 04-24-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I challenge you to find a better system Phet.
'Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.… - Winston Churchill

Old 04-24-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
'Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.… - Winston Churchill
This nation may be the best nation on the planet in many respects. But this nation also has MUCH to atone for.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
What do you mean it is not on the constitution? It is legal in the U.S. Aapart from the legality women have a right over their reproductive health. Her body belongs only to her and health is her business and her docotor. Consensus is BS. No woman is safe in any religion system. The power they do have was won fought hard by themselves alone.
Even as our Founding Fathers established a separation of church and state, setting the stage for a secular society, women at the time didn't even have a right to vote, and a woman's choice (about you know what) was legal! Here too I believe a mistake is being made about cause effect related to religion and these freedoms we enjoy (or don't).

Yes, religion has been and continues to be a big influence on all our lives. For better or worse...

"Americans United for Life also describes itself on its website as working to “restore a culture of life.” Of course, when the founding fathers met in a sweltering hall in Pennsylvania to declare independence, such a culture was not even a twinkle in their eyes."

Peel away the layers and the problem is really one of power. The power that white men have held sway going back to the beginning. In government and in religion. Only recently have we begun to understand how all that power has been promoted and maintained, at the expense of just about all others who were not white males. I'm a white male and not not afraid to admit this simple fact. That's what objective thinking allows, requires. Even about ourselves.

All started when we started letting women read books other than the Bible...

Last edited by LearnMe; 04-24-2021 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-24-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am 100% for any woman that wants an abortion.
However, this is a complex issue with no logical solution. Compromises are always needed.
No logical solution?

What's not logical about a woman's right to choose?

Old 04-24-2021, 10:16 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Again a little confusing, to say the least, because on the one hand you explain you are an atheist. Like me, typically atheists claim to be part of no religion. Then you also explain you are Jewish and that "you remain a Jew, short of actively converting to another religion." Doesn't make sense and contradicts my understanding of what is religion, Judaism and to be Jewish.

I don't want to get into any kind of emotional thing about this. Just expressing my confusion when I would think a Jewish atheist would not confuse these issues. More like another Jewish agnostic friend of mine tends to make these distinctions as I do as well.
I’m not confusing any issues. Since the Jewish ethnicity and culture arose by virtue of the Jewish religion, it’s somewhat subjective where one ends and the other begins. In terms of one remaining Jewish short of actively converting to another religion, I was speaking in general terms. I almost never attend Synagogue, I don’t keep kosher, I don’t refrain from work on Shabbat, etc., etc., etc. I would bet good money that at least half of the members of my Synagogue, a very low-key Conservative Shul, are atheist or agnostic.

It sounds like you’re trying to make a semantic distinction between Judaism, the formal religion, and being Jewish culturally and ethnically. Some people may draw the distinction that way, but because it’s all intertwined, I don’t change the noun (Jewish vs. Judaism), but use adjectives to explain what I mean (cultural Judaism, ethnic Judaism, theological Judaism).

Also, I apologize for jumping the gun and accusing you of anti-Semitism earlier. It was wrong of me to do that, and I retract that accusation.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-24-2021 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2021, 10:18 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Damn, people! Didn't you see this? One more word about abortion and somebody will be getting an infraction with some time off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
OK, people. I saw abortion mentioned once. I let it slide. Now it has been mentioned five more times. This violates the R&S forum rules. Don't mention it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism