Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 06:32 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,349,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not looking for any special treatment, Badlander. I was an atheist for over 30 years of my early life and gave it no respect whatsoever. It simply was how I saw Reality not something to respect or not respect.
You didn't answer my main question about due respect. Part of respect is proving clarifications when requested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 07:07 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,349,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do you think it is a coincidence that women and minorities fare the best in nations that have a basis on Judeo-Christian values.

I ask again: Do you think it is a coincidence ?

Not all religions are the same therefore they cannot receive equal respect.

They are different, therefore they cannot receive equal respect. Women and LGBTQIA types do not fare well in Muslim nations

Atheism and Christianity are different. They cannot receive the same respect. Atheism has only been popular for a very short time. Lastly atheism is not a religion. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in Gods. That is it. There is nothing else in atheism.
I think most of those virtues have come from the Judeo-Christian are not longer a powerful and influential as they have been and currently fundamentalist are not in power. If just being Judeo-Christian means tolerant and treating minorities well then Uganda would be different?

I am not going to judge if I will respect ant one religion based on how certain nations have acted in the last 100 years. MysticPhD thinks Ithat Islam should not be respected because it has gone backwards in the last century. I should ingnore the fact that it was much more tolerant towards Jews than Christians were in the past because things have changed.

You are both expecting the due respect of a religion t9 be based upon how certain countries behave. That is a matter of respecting those countries regardless of the majority religions. Apparently because it's a majority in the States Christainity is the only religion that needs to be respected as none of the others are a majority. Silly and bigoted ways of looking at things.

When a Jewish synagogue was burned I think two years ago the local mosque came to their assistance but according t9 the two of you we dint have to repeat those Muslims because of Saudi Arbia!?

And you also ignore that LBGT folks didn't rare well here within the last generation. And yet fundamentalist Christians get respect for calling gays abominations and trying to prevent SSM?

But you can have your way, every accomplishment in say the States should be credited go Christainity. Includes thecaging od0fvchiodren at the border, for profit prisons, the space program and so forth.

To me those like yourself who refuse to respect others you don't deserve respect yourselves.

I will respect those that use their religion as a tool to help their lives, I will not respect those that use their religion as a weapon to be used on orhers. While the two of you whitewash your own background and deliberately ignore the backgrounds of others you get no respect.

If you can't respect atheism, Sihk, Islam, animslism, paganism as religions then I see no reason to respect your religion either.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:09 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,643,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I think most of those virtues have come from the Judeo-Christian are not longer a powerful and influential as they have been and currently fundamentalist are not in power. If just being Judeo-Christian means tolerant and treating minorities well then Uganda would be different?

I am not going to judge if I will respect ant one religion based on how certain nations have acted in the last 100 years. MysticPhD thinks Ithat Islam should not be respected because it has gone backwards in the last century. I should ingnore the fact that it was much more tolerant towards Jews than Christians were in the past because things have changed.

You are both expecting the due respect of a religion t9 be based upon how certain countries behave. That is a matter of respecting those countries regardless of the majority religions. Apparently because it's a majority in the States Christainity is the only religion that needs to be respected as none of the others are a majority. Silly and bigoted ways of looking at things.

When a Jewish synagogue was burned I think two years ago the local mosque came to their assistance but according t9 the two of you we dint have to repeat those Muslims because of Saudi Arbia!?

And you also ignore that LBGT folks didn't rare well here within the last generation. And yet fundamentalist Christians get respect for calling gays abominations and trying to prevent SSM?

But you can have your way, every accomplishment in say the States should be credited go Christainity. Includes thecaging od0fvchiodren at the border, for profit prisons, the space program and so forth.

To me those like yourself who refuse to respect others you don't deserve respect yourselves.

I will respect those that use their religion as a tool to help their lives, I will not respect those that use their religion as a weapon to be used on orhers. While the two of you whitewash your own background and deliberately ignore the backgrounds of others you get no respect.

If you can't respect atheism, Sihk, Islam, animslism, paganism as religions then I see no reason to respect your religion either.
yeah, like some stupid atheists buy into "ok, but just don't slow us down, we have the same goal", some stupide theist do the exact same thing. When they clearly know better.

Present company excluded of course. I mean outside of cd.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:14 PM

2,962 posts, read 870,266 times
I’m a Christian and I’m curious how much respect atheists here think I am due?

I respect atheists, in general, but I have less respect for atheists who are combative anti-theist atheists, but in that case I’ve got more of an issue with their disrespectful behaviour than I do with their atheistic beliefs. I don’t really see this is an atheist vs. theist issue, because I receive the most hate and disrespect from “sorta-godders†who hold spiritual and supernatural beliefs. It seems to be mostly a Anti-Christian vs. Christian dynamic.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:32 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,377,012 times
Quote:

Demanding respect does not work.
Respect is earned.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know as I never mentioned amazonian women? That sounds pretty sexists to me. With that sort of comment you are now on your own. You sound like an expert in human societies.
Here is one:

The only one I know.
Amazonian means powerful, it is not derogatory.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:43 PM

51,107 posts, read 24,599,714 times
Quote:

More often that not I tend to agree with you.

Perhaps you mean respect people who are member of those religions?

Old 04-24-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
More often that not I tend to agree with you.

Perhaps you mean respect people who are member of those religions?
I agree!

However, Christianity has contributed more to the world than animalism. Do you agree? or Disagree?

Old 04-24-2021, 09:16 PM

51,107 posts, read 24,599,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree!

However, Christianity has contributed more to the world than animalism. Do you agree? or Disagree?
Animalism? What has animalism got to do with this?

Old 04-24-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Animalism? What has animalism got to do with this?
A poster above suggest that animalism deserves the same respect as Christianity. The poster stated all religions deserve the same level of respect. Do you agree or disagree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism