Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I have a hard time believing that he didn't exist! How could a non existant person have made such a huge impact on the whole world?

I think most folks believe Jesus did exist...it's the Son Of God and Savior part that we do not believe nor find even slightly plausible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 AM

321 posts, read 920,575 times
Yes, I believe Jesus was a real person - a master teacher much like Ghandi and Buddha. He was a mortal person like all of us. His teachings resonated with many people across the lands he travelled. Many men found his teachings threatening because his philosophy encompassed finding our own divine energy from within rather than allowing us to be much like a herd following the latest ruler who would control us. Our mind is a tool to be used by each of us not by others. Following his death, his teachings became deviated and muddled at the hand of man who where looking to control the masses. Enter Christianity.....shortly followed by a multitude of denominations to go with it. All created by man who thought they were interpreting the word of God (interpretation being highly subjective and under the influence of the interpreter's mind). I believe all religions have sparks of the original teachings of these masters (Jesus, Buddha) it's just gotten lost along the way - ultimately, each of us needs to go within to find divine peace, joy and connection to the universal energy that connects us all.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:49 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It seems to be a rather moot point . . . since there is no question that he exists and has done so for millennia. His impact on humanity and societal evolution is undeniable. Any one of us should hope to have such a "REAL" impact on the world, especially after we have departed this life!
I hope you're kidding...if not, see the "Here Be Dragons" thread.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwb View Post
He exists and strucked down while you are relieving yourself>believe!!!!!
Well I hope he's got a lot of time, because I just had a bad burrito and I'm going to be relieving for quite a while -- perhaps I'll read a few books of the Bible while I'm in there.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:02 PM

414 posts, read 776,832 times
Talking \!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Well I hope he's got a lot of time, because I just had a bad burrito and I'm going to be relieving for quite a while -- perhaps I'll read a few books of the Bible while I'm in there.

... and here comes Rudolf with his white pow...wow...de.red nose wishing you a speedy recovery (while Santa considers some serious finger-wagging!)

Peace, you hear!

Last edited by lwowl; 12-14-2008 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: fl aq\r.G

Old 12-14-2008, 06:44 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
To Aconite, I would say, sorry for the loss of your teacher. There are good people out there, talking, making sense. The world needs more of the same, regardless of denomination or affiliation, reasonable, rational, intelligent, humorous, kind natured. But..... there is always a Butt around when you really don't need it. The media doesn't play that way, the good, the kind, the meek don't get good press coverage, and, one would generally agree, if you are selling something, write an article on someone who will sell. This is why Charlie Manson has had his named burned into our collective consciousness, it's kinda like a "local bad guy makes good" type of story. Serial killers will normally get more and better press than saints. Mother Theresa Who?????? what was her last name anyway? Pope John Paul XXIII, maybe 23rd was his last name, Malcome X----well----at the risk of being misunderstood, there were times in his writings that he made a lot of sense, not enough to win me over, but, he had quite a few legitimate points in his social commentary of the times. Prophets exist in context with their surroundings, in a large part, the lamentations of Mr. X have largely been addressed, not the same as being solved, but, it is a helluva lot better than it used to be, and, in time, humanity will grow - probably better without the christer god.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
You're not a science channel fan are you? Even the scientists agree he existed. Didn't say if they thought he's who he said he is, but they admit he 'existed'. The difference between science and Christians is science says, 'existed', Christians say, 'exists'.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Well, I suppose that is just one of the ways that paper can be useful. Not all communication is verbal.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, I suppose that is just one of the ways that paper can be useful. Not all communication is verbal.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dusty Rhodes again."

Old 12-15-2008, 08:31 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
You're not a science channel fan are you? Even the scientists agree he existed. Didn't say if they thought he's who he said he is, but they admit he 'existed'. The difference between science and Christians is science says, 'existed', Christians say, 'exists'.
What do scientists have to do with it? Christ's existence has never been verified by any historian, and the debate goes on.

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus got written well after the life of the alleged Jesus by unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism