Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times

Advertisements

YES he existed. It would be impossible to have a myth last for over 2000 years..this was the most intelligent and powerful being that ever lived in human form. This is not a myth...Yes there are romantic notions and perversions regarding Christ. But the core of his message is absolutely brilliant...It is not something that can be fabricated...who he was and who humanity say he was might be different from reality...In the over all- This man was inspired and driven by some divine and powerful force...He was of God...of goodness and of grace...To say he did not exist is utter foolishness based in bias- and ignorance. There are other historical figures before Christ ...and we except their existence...so why do some like to deny his? It might be the envy of innocence and purity spawned by the dark and spiteful side of human nature...I would be my life on the fact that he existed...whether you agree with his message or not is of little consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
YES he existed. It would be impossible to have a myth last for over 2000 years..this was the most intelligent and powerful being that ever lived in human form. This is not a myth...Yes there are romantic notions and perversions regarding Christ. But the core of his message is absolutely brilliant...It is not something that can be fabricated...who he was and who humanity say he was might be different from reality...In the over all- This man was inspired and driven by some divine and powerful force...He was of God...of goodness and of grace...To say he did not exist is utter foolishness based in bias- and ignorance. There are other historical figures before Christ ...and we except their existence...so why do some like to deny his? It might be the envy of innocence and purity spawned by the dark and spiteful side of human nature...I would be my life on the fact that he existed...whether you agree with his message or not is of little consequence.
You're right, his message, if he existed, is of little consequence. You state that because his legend has existed for over 2000 year is evidence of his existence, then you admit that other legends have lasted longer. The problem with Jesus is that there is no reliable contemporary extra-biblical accounts of his existence, which is very odd considering the miracles he supposedly performed. I suppose he existed as a good Rabbi, but this is far from factual.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Just as others said, there's plenty of evidence, further supported by multiple documents and religions, indicating that Jesus existed.

There is no evidence that God exists or ever existed; thus being all imaginary until proof pops up.
The KORAN which started with the teachings of Mohamed ...began about 300 years after the birth of Christ...300 years is not a long time...it seems Mohamed knew about this great man...To say Christ never existed is to say that all of Islam is wrong- all of the Jews in the world are wrong - and all the Christians are living in fantasy also...This is not the case...A few years ago a stone burial box for bones was found..There was an inscription on it..."James the brother of Jesus".

The things that Christ did were not bizarre miracles...His miracles were generated out of super powerful intelligent thought...even as a boy this person could debate the most clever lawyers and law makers and win the argument..even when he was 12 years old he was known as a genius...I love the guy..the peak of human intelligence...to toss this person into the trash heap of myth only signifies the resentment some humans have for intelligence...This resentment of logic and intelligence seems to becoming more popular these days.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,443 times
Quote:
The KORAN which started with the teachings of Mohamed ...began about 300 years after the birth of Christ...300 years is not a long time...it seems Mohamed knew about this great man...To say Christ never existed is to say that all of Islam is wrong- all of the Jews in the world are wrong - and all the Christians are living in fantasy also...This is not the case...A few years ago a stone burial box for bones was found..There was an inscription on it..."James the brother of Jesus".

The things that Christ did were not bizarre miracles...His miracles were generated out of super powerful intelligent thought...even as a boy this person could debate the most clever lawyers and law makers and win the argument..even when he was 12 years old he was known as a genius...I love the guy..the peak of human intelligence...to toss this person into the trash heap of myth only signifies the resentment some humans have for intelligence...This resentment of logic and intelligence seems to becoming more popular these days.
Not bizarre miracles? Raising people from the dead? Restoring sight? Causing people to walk? Curing leprorsy? These are all "miracles" that would surely be the talk of the town.
The Bone Box you are referring to was authentic but the inscription was found to be a forgery.
You can believe what you like, but you have no reliable, verifiable evidence to convince someone else that Jesus existed. Your belief requires faith, suspending the logic and intelligence that you so adamantly endorse.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:

I am mystified as to why you would think an ossuary with that inscription is significant. Both names were very common--there were probably hundreds, if not thousands, of brothers who had that combination of names.

Your best bet as a believer is to stop getting into winless arguments with people who do not believe and will just delight in shooting down everything you say. If you believe, then believe and stop trying to "prove" your faith to people who are using you and your religion for their own amusement. Respect yourself and your beliefs, leave the unbelievers to mock you amongst themselves, stop providing them with fodder and move on. You don't need to prove God to anyone.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM

75 posts, read 91,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
You're willing to give those people that much credit as opposed to the more likely scenario that they cast all kinds of legends upon their dead leader and ran with it? What? They just pulled a myth out of the air and decided to call him Jesus? I'm not even remotely trying to say that some god by the name of Jesus who was born of a virgin, did miracles who died and rose again and is the son of God ever existed. A mere man others lauded with such fantasies is along the lines of what I believe.

Here is an interesting point; the Hebrew scriptures never claims the Messiah will be born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14 uses the word הָ עַ לְ מָ ה. This is pronounced ha-almah. What it means is "THE young woman". The King James bible chooses to translate the word as "A virgin", but the Hebrew prefix הָ (ha-) indicates the definite article "the".
If you read the whole chapter in Isaiah, it is clear that Isaiah was speaking to King Hezekiah and that he was offering a sign specific to the king. The young woman Isaiah was referring to was one which the King himself knew or knew of, perhaps his most recent wife or concubine.

Here is a link to a Hebrew interlinear translation/transliteration of Isaiah. You can see here that the translation of the word הָ עַ לְ מָ ה in the right hand column of the page differs from that offered in the transliteration directly below the word in question.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...OTpdf/isa7.pdf

Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
His impact on humanity and societal evolution is undeniable. Any one of us should hope to have such a "REAL" impact on the world, especially after we have departed this life!
Why?

What makes any one of us worthy of having such an impact? I for one hope that my life will never inspire such atrocities as the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc.

If Jesus existed, would he be proud or ashamed of the impact he has had on the world?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I had read that they believe the New Testament was written by 3 different people - not so much that J is an amalgam. There exists nothing to corroborate the existence of so much as a preacher for the purported time period. And this was a time of great literary works and chronicles of the time.
There are the Dead Sea Scrolls which tell of a "teacher of righteousness" whose life is suspiciously reminiscent of the life of Jesus.

The Dead Sea Scrolls Teacher of Righteousness: Who Was He?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Did Jesus exist? I would say more than likely he did, but not in the context of the biblical Jesus. Although he may have been an radical for his time. Just because there is no proof outside of the bible and a token remark of him in the book Josephus wrote, doesn't discount his existance. I would ask, in 2000 years from now, will there be any proof that you ever existed.
And I would ask, what does it matter to me if any proof of my existence is around 2000 years from now?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
You're not a science channel fan are you? Even the scientists agree he existed. Didn't say if they thought he's who he said he is, but they admit he 'existed'. The difference between science and Christians is science says, 'existed', Christians say, 'exists'.

Maybe so, but what are they basing this on? Certainly not actual evidence. No contemporary written records, particularly no Roman record of the trial and crucifixion of Christ. Most scientists who publicly acknowledge that Christ existed are more than likely seeking to not offend rather than offering their own actual opinion on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism