Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM

33,581 posts, read 37,218,474 times

Advertisements

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus got written well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 02:15 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,184,260 times
It falls into category of "supernatural" gods: Zeus, Poseidon, Hera, Ares, Aphrodite, and numerous others. Neither one of them had any evidence of existence. But you know, it takes faith to believe.

Weren't there a search at some point for Christ's shroud, or they are still searching?

Old 11-28-2008, 03:09 PM

321 posts, read 680,787 times
I have said before that I believe that a Jesus did exist. What I don't believe are the wild stories [The Gospels] they built around his character after the Romans made maggot food out of him.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,276,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
I have said before that I believe that a Jesus did exist. What I don't believe are the wild stories [The Gospels] they built around his character after the Romans made maggot food out of him.
Based on what? Repeated claims thru the ages? Just because a billion people can't be wrong?

I used to think there must have been someone - some sort of preacher on which the whole thing was based until I did more research into history. The more I learned, the more it looked like a huge con game with the ultimate power being the reward. The more the con went on, the more people believed in the con.

The most likely explanation is a subversion of the Jewish myths by combining with popular resurrection deities popular some 1800 years ago in the Roman Empire.

There is just as much evidence and corroboration for the existence of Jesus as there is for Zeus, Hera, Aphrodite, Isis, Osiris, and Dionysus. Actually there is more for the other gods.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:12 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,184,546 times
There is more evidence for the existence of Aesop than there is for Jesus. And scholars doubt Aesop's existence all the time.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 PM

63,989 posts, read 40,270,885 times
It seems to be a rather moot point . . . since there is no question that he exists and has done so for millennia. His impact on humanity and societal evolution is undeniable. Any one of us should hope to have such a "REAL" impact on the world, especially after we have departed this life!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:15 PM

321 posts, read 680,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Based on what? Repeated claims thru the ages? Just because a billion people can't be wrong?

I used to think there must have been someone - some sort of preacher on which the whole thing was based until I did more research into history. The more I learned, the more it looked like a huge con game with the ultimate power being the reward. The more the con went on, the more people believed in the con.

The most likely explanation is a subversion of the Jewish myths by combining with popular resurrection deities popular some 1800 years ago in the Roman Empire.

There is just as much evidence and corroboration for the existence of Jesus as there is for Zeus, Hera, Aphrodite, Isis, Osiris, and Dionysus. Actually there is more for the other gods.
You're willing to give those people that much credit as opposed to the more likely scenario that they cast all kinds of legends upon their dead leader and ran with it? What? They just pulled a myth out of the air and decided to call him Jesus? I'm not even remotely trying to say that some god by the name of Jesus who was born of a virgin, did miracles who died and rose again and is the son of God ever existed. A mere man others lauded with such fantasies is along the lines of what I believe.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:42 PM

63,989 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
You're willing to give those people that much credit as opposed to the more likely scenario that they cast all kinds of legends upon their dead leader and ran with it? What? They just pulled a myth out of the air and decided to call him Jesus? I'm not even remotely trying to say that some god by the name of Jesus who was born of a virgin, did miracles who died and rose again and is the son of God ever existed. A mere man others lauded with such fantasies is along the lines of what I believe.
I agree with you, Condemned . . . this would have to be the "Mother-Of-All-Conspiracy-Theories" . . to persist for millennia . . . with all the generations of human involvement that implies.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:00 PM

Personally I think, like so many other things regarding Christianity Jesus is either made up or a purposeful lie.

Eusebius who served as an ecclesiastical church historian and bishop. He had great influence in the early Church and he openly advocated the use of fraud and deception in furthering the interests of the Church [Remsberg]. The first mention of Jesus by Josephus came from Eusebius (none of the earlier church fathers mention Josephus' Jesus). It comes to no surprise why many scholars think that Eusebius interpolated his writings. In his Ecclesiastical History, he writes, "We shall introduce into this history in general only those events which may be useful first to ourselves and afterwards to posterity." (Vol. 8, chapter 2). In his Praeparatio Evangelica, he includes a chapter titled, "How it may be Lawful and Fitting to use Falsehood as a Medicine, and for the Benefit of those who Want to be Deceived" (book 12, chapter 32).
Did Jesus exist?

Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
It falls into category of "supernatural" gods: Zeus, Poseidon, Hera, Ares, Aphrodite, and numerous others. Neither one of them had any evidence of existence. But you know, it takes faith to believe.

Weren't there a search at some point for Christ's shroud, or they are still searching?

Experts around the world consider the 14-foot-long linen sheet, which has remained in a cathedral in Turin since 1578, a forgery because of carbon-dating tests performed in 1988. Three different independent radiocarbon dating laboratories in Zurich, Oxford and the University of Arizona yielded a date range of 1260-1390 C.E. (consistent with the time period of Charny's claimed ownership). Joe Zias of Hebrew University of Jerusalem calls the shroud indisputably a fake. "Not only is it a forgery, but it's a bad forgery." The shroud actually depicts a man whose front measures 2 inches taller than his back and whose elongated hands and arms would indicate that he had the affliction of gigantism if he actually lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism