Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM

512 posts, read 712,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
I Can not tell all the things that Ben Franklin did..........he harnessed electricity , his experiments included flying a kite in a thunder and lightening storm...........if Franklin was an Drunk we should be so drunk.....we type and argue on a device that requires electricity..........he lived into his 80's.......i suspect he was more than most of use will ever be.........unless we can learn the whole story. Ladies and booze were not his downfall.........just part of his anti-Puritan behavior, but i don't think he spoke against virtue. I think he grew to embrace it.
Now we're getting somewhere. Except how can you agree or disagree with electricity? I guess if you are an Amish person.

What specific ideas? What policies etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Some people are known for wisdom which can bridge ages, and Ben Franklin is one of those men. Regardless if it was his stand on Separation of Church and state, his negative view on religion and the church, or his curiosity in matters of nature and science he seems to have had vision beyond that of his time.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times
I'd like to know why this is in the Atheist/Agnostic forum? Shouldn't a conversation about Ben Franklin go in the History forum?

Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I'd like to know why this is in the Atheist/Agnostic forum? Shouldn't a conversation about Ben Franklin go in the History forum?
I see your point, but think he was put here due to his agnostic views, and we could have few better to represent the agnostic and atheist values than Ben Franklin.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,886 times
Quote:
Atheist and agnostic go even further back.......But maybe Wisdom is a virture......and maybe there is no place for that......maybe I agree

Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
[NQUOTE=BornOKThe1stTime;6902346] Except how can you agree or disagree with electricity? [/quote]

Oh man, that's easy, them electrons are some seriously negative dudes, not as negative minded as the christers, but, still pretty dang negative. Have you ever heard a single one of them say anything good about any body or any thing? Nope?, Well, me neither! If I wanted that degree of negative vibes I would seek out a jehovahs' witness or, maybe a mormon, southern baptist would work about the same also.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
ben franklins witty saying if that is what you are referring to re: wisdom are not alien to new england. prudence practical behavior and yankee ingenuity were very much in keeping with the people of new england of his time.
what made him a giant was his influence in france for 8 years --- now that was true wisdom and vision. to convince a king to help us revolt against another king is no small task.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I see your point, but think he was put here due to his agnostic views, and we could have few better to represent the agnostic and atheist values than Ben Franklin.
I would agree, if the OP had asked us to discuss why/how we thought Franklin became an agnostic (and actually truly wanted a cogent discussion on that topic).

But instead he rambles incoherently about things like this:

Quote:
I Can not tell all the things that Ben Franklin did..........he harnessed electricity , his experiments included flying a kite in a thunder and lightening storm...........if Franklin was an Drunk we should be so drunk.....we type and argue on a device that requires electricity..........he lived into his 80's.......i suspect he was more than most of use will ever be.........unless we can learn the whole story. Ladies and booze were not his downfall.........just part of his anti-Puritan behavior, but i don't think he spoke against virtue. I think he grew to embrace it
...while making no references to Franklin's beliefs or disbeliefs in a deity. Due to the OP's previously trollish track record on other threads, I think he's unskillfully fishing here in an attempt to yet again to annoy non-believers.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
ben franklins witty saying if that is what you are referring to re: wisdom are not alien to new england. prudence practical behavior and yankee ingenuity were very much in keeping with the people of new england of his time.
what made him a giant was his influence in france for 8 years --- now that was true wisdom and vision. to convince a king to help us revolt against another king is no small task.
IF I COULD Quote Franklin's message to the 1st congress on the 1st day I would. I know about it. It is supposed to be public record.......? He may have been a believer or he may have been the wisest Agnostic who ever lived............I don't know.......I do know his story is not being told and it might be unknowable.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I would agree, if the OP had asked us to discuss why/how we thought Franklin became an agnostic (and actually truly wanted a cogent discussion on that topic).

But instead he rambles incoherently about things like this:

...while making no references to Franklin's beliefs or disbeliefs in a deity. Due to the OP's previously trollish track record on other threads, I think he's unskillfully fishing here in an attempt to yet again to annoy non-believers.
I have no evidence on a deity......I am agnostic in many ways.....so I annoy you ................should I follow your tactic . I guess the minority opinion........... rules.The first casuality of war is Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism