Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:01 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,387 times

Advertisements

^^^ Cleatis is not saying we should celebrate it. He's saying we shouldn't sweep it under the rug and pretend like it doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 02:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
^^^ Cleatis is not saying we should celebrate it. He's saying we shouldn't sweep it under the rug and pretend like it doesn't exist.
There are plenty of people who take the notion of considering a subject in its entirety as irrational.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Absurd . . . You are suggesting that we select for CELEBRATION the sordid aspects of our past? I swear the PC mindset is irrational.
No. I am saying that when you pick out 90% of the facts of our heritage to celebrate, you aren't celebrating what the heritage really is. You might be celebrating a higher ideal, or celebrating what you want of the heritage. What we celebrate on Thanksgiving is what we want our heritage to be, what we want it to look like but not what the heritage IS . How can we say it is a celebration of heritage when it is almost nothing like our heritage?

Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I've been trying to say that for about a dozen posts now... I don't think it computes...

Old 11-27-2009, 07:52 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
No. I am saying that when you pick out 90% of the facts of our heritage to celebrate, you aren't celebrating what the heritage really is. You might be celebrating a higher ideal, or celebrating what you want of the heritage. What we celebrate on Thanksgiving is what we want our heritage to be, what we want it to look like but not what the heritage IS . How can we say it is a celebration of heritage when it is almost nothing like our heritage?
Because celebrations ARE about ideals and promoting attitudes toward the FUTURE . . . NOT opportunities to denigrate our ancestors evils and flaws and b*tch and moan about them.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
And you are suggesting that the time to do that is when we are celebrating our Holidays??? Do you celebrate your birthday by remembering all the flaws and faults in your life up to that point? Ridiculous!!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:03 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,387 times
Quote:
And you are suggesting that the time to do that is when we are celebrating our Holidays??? Do you celebrate your birthday by remembering all the flaws and faults in your life up to that point? Ridiculous!!
That's not what I said at all. You can still celebrate the "attitudes towards our future", as you said, without pretending none of the bad stuff happened. No ones saying we should dwell on the bad parts, we just shouldn't completely ignore them either.

Oh forget it.

Have fun with this one, Cleatis lol.

Oh, and, when I celebrate my Birthday I do reflect on both the good and bad. I couldn't grow as a person if I didn't think about both.

Last edited by Kaye02; 11-27-2009 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 11-27-2009, 10:16 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Christians ignore so much that is bad in their bible that it is second nature to them I guess.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Because celebrations ARE about ideals and promoting attitudes toward the FUTURE . . . NOT opportunities to denigrate our ancestors evils and flaws and b*tch and moan about them.
Then promote an attitude towards the future. Celebrate those great attitudes. That really is a great thing to do. Just don't label it as our heritage when when most of it is edited out. Here again: What we celebrate on Thanksgiving is hardly our heritage. It's almost nothing like our heritage. Why should we say that thanksgiving is our heritage when it clearly isn't? So since we're talking about the future here: Should we start omitting our current events to make it more convenient for the next generation. Should we erase every scrap of pain and anguish that we have dealt with in our lifetimes so that they don't have to be bogged down with it? How are they going to know who we really were?

Remembering and acknowledging the evils of our ancestors is not denigration of them. It's remembering what really happened, it's remembering our history which I would imagine everyone thinks is a good idea. That's how we keep those same evils from happening again. Unless of course you don't want that... How can you promote a good attitude about the future when the ugly parts of the past are omitted? That's a great way to kick off the future - with a lie. You can't edit history and it should never be omitted in favor of a cleaner image. Which is what this really is about isn't it? God forbid American history be anything but nice and shiny apple pie patriotism. Why that might mean there are imperfections in gods favorite country. Pretending this never happened only leads to ignorance and surely you wouldn't promote that.

Last edited by cleatis; 11-28-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Then promote an attitude towards the future. Celebrate those great attitudes. That really is a great thing to do. Just don't label it as our heritage when when most of it is edited out. Here again: What we celebrate on Thanksgiving is hardly our heritage. It's almost nothing like our heritage. Why should we say that thanksgiving is our heritage when it clearly isn't? So since we're talking about the future here: Should we start omitting our current events to make it more convenient for the next generation. Should we erase every scrap of pain and anguish that we have dealt with in our lifetimes so that they don't have to be bogged down with it? How are they going to know who we really were?

Remembering and acknowledging the evils of our ancestors is not denigration of them. It's remembering what really happened, it's remembering our history which I would imagine everyone thinks is a good idea. That's how we keep those same evils from happening again. Unless of course you don't want that... How can you promote a good attitude about the future when the ugly parts of the past are omitted? That's a great way to kick off the future - with a lie. You can't edit history and it should never be omitted in favor of a cleaner image. Which is what this really is about isn't it? God forbid American history be anything but nice and shiny apple pie patriotism. Why that might mean there are imperfections in gods favorite country. Pretending this never happened only leads to ignorance and surely you wouldn't promote that.
You clearly have no conception of what a CELEBRATION is as opposed to a HISTORY COURSE designed to educate. PC idiocy at its finest . . . ruin everything to make whatever negative point is deemed necessary to emphasize no matter what the real purpose of the event is. God save us from self-righteous public hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism