Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 05:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
THIS is the part that's got me conflicted. We're essentially saying that she's getting 30-34 years in jail and 5-10 years of probation tacked on JUST for leaving the scene.

I'm not sure leaving the scene of an accident is commensurate with 30+ years of jailtime.

Not to mention the fact that this burden now falls on the taxpayers for the next 50 years.
I don't know how the formal charges were worded but in addition to leaving the scene of an accident--there is the issue of 'obstructing justice'--repairing the damaged car and failure to contact the authorities for I believe, 10 days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
THIS is the part that's got me conflicted. We're essentially saying that she's getting 30-34 years in jail and 5-10 years of probation tacked on JUST for leaving the scene.

I'm not sure leaving the scene of an accident is commensurate with 30+ years of jailtime.

Not to mention the fact that this burden now falls on the taxpayers for the next 50 years.
Well, she was convicted of 16 counts on the incident.

The issue for her is that she killed 5 people which makes the First degree homicide by vehicle charges add up.

As GA laws says:
Quote:
Vehicular homicide, which is called “homicide by vehicle” in Georgia, is the unlawful killing of another with the use of a vehicle. Neither malice aforethought nor intent to kill is required. Georgia’s homicide by vehicle statute provides for a wide range of punishment, depending on the circumstances in which the offense is committed.
First degree homicide by vehicle is a felony. A homicide by vehicle is classified as first degree if the driver:
(1) unlawfully met or overtook a school bus;(2) unlawfully failed to stop after a collision;(3) was driving recklessly;(4) was driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;(5) failed to stop for, or otherwise was attempting to flee from a law enforcement officer, or(6) had previously been declared a habitual violator.

So, she is guilty on #2, #3 and could have possibly been for #4.

Another thing, Publix is closed on Easter Sunday, are we sure she was going on an ice cream run at all or was that another part of the lie like the car being damaged from being bought at auction?
Personally, I think the grandmother should have been charged as well with hindering an investigation but thats me...

Old 11-06-2010, 03:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Well, she was convicted of 16 counts on the incident.

The issue for her is that she killed 5 people which makes the First degree homicide by vehicle charges add up.

As GA laws says:

So, she is guilty on #2, #3 and could have possibly been for #4.

Another thing, Publix is closed on Easter Sunday, are we sure she was going on an ice cream run at all or was that another part of the lie like the car being damaged from being bought at auction?
Personally, I think the grandmother should have been charged as well with hindering an investigation but thats me...

I think the issue is not the ice cream run regardless...I know nothing about their hours but most stores are open at least during the morning on Easter.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:01 AM

41 posts, read 99,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
The more I hear the less sorry I feel for her. Apparently she almost killed someone running a red light on that same ice cream trip. Then you throw in the marijuana and all the previous speeding violations and it seems she was a accident waiting to happen. Too bad it wasn't a single-car accident with her being killed instead of those innocent kids.
Thats not a very nice thing to say. You shouldnt wish nobody dead not EVEN Aimee. I too feel the punishment was a little harsh. The Woman panicked then went to her Mother for advice and they didnt do the right thing. I really cant see how the mother was an educator, she might of had book sense but had no common sense what so ever.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 PM

281 posts, read 617,186 times
I was saying that if there had to be a wreck it would have been better if she were killed, not the three innocent kids. The English language is obviously not one of your strong points. I bet if she were white you would be screaming for the death penalty.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
I pray for all victims invovled including Aimee . It always amaze me in how people say what they would do or wouldn't do in such tragic situations like this . I would hope to God as a mother with strong spirtual upbringing and morals ,I would guide my daughter and son to do the right thing . I just believe you really don't know how you would react until you actually be put in that position . I just pray for all the judgemental people that are living the "perfect life " and doing all the perfect things in life that you never have to be put in this tragic situation . Remember all invovled .

Old 11-14-2010, 05:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
I heard she is trying to get her sentence reduced

Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
I was saying that if there had to be a wreck it would have been better if she were killed, not the three innocent kids. The English language is obviously not one of your strong points. I bet if she were white you would be screaming for the death penalty.
Possibly

Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I heard she is trying to get her sentence reduced
Easter crash trial | Aimee Michael to appeal conviction *| ajc.com

Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Ms. Micheal may be out in 7 years and her mom out in 2 and half and change...

Easter crash | Aimee Michael eligible for parole in 7 years *| ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta