Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 AM

274 posts, read 860,683 times

Advertisements

As the father of the deceased child said " the Michaels family never expressed any remorse during the trial".

Yes a good conscience was surely not evident here. Mother and daughter will have to live with what they did daily and the mother will never be able to teach in a class room again, good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Easter crash trial | Fleeing scene could cost Aimee Michael decades *| ajc.com

Another article, if she had just stayed at the scene that she would probably gotten no time at all.

Her mother teaching license is still valid till 2012. I'm not sure, if GA PSC has brought her case up for review yet.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Easter crash trial | Fleeing scene could cost Aimee Michael decades *| ajc.com

Another article, if she had just stayed at the scene that she would probably gotten no time at all.

Her mother teaching license is still valid till 2012. I'm not sure, if GA PSC has brought her case up for review yet.
That's why I don't think a sentence of decades would be just. It should be based on the customary sentence for a hit-and-run. Unless they proved she caused the accident by reckless behavior, I can't quite see why she was convicted of first degree vehicular homicide. Felony hit-and-run, yes, covering up the evidence, yes.

I think if she gets 15 years per death, there will be years of appeals before she ever goes to jail.

My views may be skewed by the fact that I've only read about the case. I've never seen a TV news report involved her demeanor, but I did read where she cried upon confessing.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 PM

274 posts, read 860,683 times
Momma is guilty of tampering with evidence and hindering the apprehension of a criminal. she going to get sentenced also tomorrow. I think since she has plead guility PSC is going to lift her license as well they should. Just a sad situation all the way around.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That's why I don't think a sentence of decades would be just. It should be based on the customary sentence for a hit-and-run. Unless they proved she caused the accident by reckless behavior, I can't quite see why she was convicted of first degree vehicular homicide. Felony hit-and-run, yes, covering up the evidence, yes.

I think if she gets 15 years per death, there will be years of appeals before she ever goes to

My views may be skewed by the fact that I've only read about the case. I've never seen a TV news report involved her demeanor, but I did read where she cried upon confessing.
She left so allowed it to reach 1st degree.

She has been stoic the whole trial. The only time I saw emotion is when they played her confession video and she dabbed her eyes. Other than that, nothing.

Imho, she is just sorry that they were caught. She would have went on with life, if the cover wasn't blown.

I'm sure, she will be sorry tomorrow before the sentence is handed down.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
She was found guilty today of ALL charges including 5 counts of homicide by vehicle. Her mother has already plead guilty and is in jail. They will both be sentenced Thursday. What do you think they should get in terms of punishment?
Me - I would give Aimee Michael not less than 20 years to serve in prison. And that is being merciful because she would be out at age 44. I would also permanently revoke her driving privileges. She would never ever be allowed to drive a car again.
I would give her mother, who covered up the crime, 5 years to serve and I would also permanently take her teaching license away and never allow her to teach again.
Easter crash trial | Aimee Michael, guilty for killing 5, to be sentenced Thursday *| ajc.com
This does not teach the public anything. What have we learned from this? Nothing. How was the crash caused? Was she on her cell phone? Many in Atlanta have bad driving habits. What does this case teach the public? Nothing. I dont even car what happens to them.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Reckless/dangerous driving however, isn't a "mistake", and leaving a scene when you know you caused a severe accident also isn't a mistake. It's negligence. The unfortunate fact however, is that no amount of time in prison can bring back the *several* lives her actions took. All it can do is make sure she can't do it to anyone else.

I don't blame her youth as some have done on some online polls. I knew right from wrong when I was much younger than this girl, and maybe it's because my Father was a Marine, but the two words, "personal responsibility" were burned into my brain by him by the time I was in my early teens. It's unfortunate that an entire generation of kids have grown up lately that seem to be lacking those two words in their vocabulary. But then again, with a Mother who actually helped her hide what she did, it's a no brainer as to where she picked up her (lack of) morality. My Father would have taken me by the back of the neck to the police station.
Thats funny cause my dad would have done the same thing. Seriously though, there are many mother daughters like this in Atlanta. Nothing in this story surprises me. Again this is not the first kid in Atlanta with a bad mom & wont be the last. Its a way a life here.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,514 times
I don't put her at fault for killing those people, even if she was driving carelessly. Cars are unintended weapons and we all take that risk every time we get behind the wheel. Some soccer mom in her gigantic SUV accidentally blows a stop sign and kills me in the process ....I don't think her life should be ruined as a result. And I don't think my opinion would change if she got scared and left the scene.

It's an interesting case. Plays on a lot of human emotion.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Prosecution asking for 50 years again, defense asks for 30 years with 10 to serve.

We shall see in a couple hours...

Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
BREAKING NEWS:
Aimee Michael sentenced to serve 36 yrs in prison »
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta