Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think...that the City of Atlanta can't donate Woodruff Park or even Hurt Park to GSU.
The city could always give them a lease for all of eternity for $1!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If you *** on your cellphone or text while walking around downtown, then you are not fully aware of your surroundings, and you're setting yourself up to be a victim. Not only by being less able to defend yourself, but also by flaunting your tech devices which are desirable to thieves.
Still, it would be nice if college students could simply go to college and learn stuff and hang out like college kids without having to worry about target hardening. That's probably just my old school mentality talking.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Still, it would be nice if college students could simply go to college and learn stuff and hang out like college kids without having to worry about target hardening. That's probably just my old school mentality talking.
Yeah, that'd be nice. Although, I'm not sure of walking around in urban areas oblivious to your surroundings qualifies as "hanging out like college kids." I would probably describe that as "being clueless."

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Woodruff Park is kept very nice but the city needs to keep the bums out of it. Unfortunately crimes like these are an issue in most urban college campuses, even in NYC. I'm not justifying it, but students in urban campuses need to be more vigilant. The city/APD needs to step up too.

Despite how most people feel here, downtown has changed for the better. Yes, Five Points/Underground still needs work and could be a lot nicer, but outside of those areas Downtown is not really that bad. The streetcar, the multi-modal station/Green Line Plan (which will includes a renovation of Five Points), streetscape projects by Central ATL Progress, and the continued expansion of GSU will continue to help Downtown... it's just not going to happen overnight like everybody wants.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
After all these years (that I have been in downtown), I think the panhandling is still aggressive in some areas, particularly close to the MARTA stations and Woodruff Park. Daytime hours in downtown are fine as long as you are aware of your surroundings. Sure, there is the unpredictable factor when dealing with someone you may view as potentially criminal on the street.

I think the area has cleaned up some over a decade or so, I think it has slightly improved, but there is plenty room for being better.

The crimes are very unfortunate as they make people more leary of going downtown and reasonably so.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
But what's wrong with moving the bad guys south? This is the center of our city, and now the campus of GSU, that we are talking about. Why not move it to a place without so many students? We cant just give up.
Making it less desirable for the bad guys is the only way to deal with the issue, really. Keep on making it difficult and inducing them move until there isn't a place in the City of Atlanta that is convenient for them anymore.

I really don't get why Atlanta has such a small police force (I know money is one core issue), and I think there's a direct correlation between the number of cops on the ground and the amount of crap that goes on in a given city.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 AM

227 posts, read 494,793 times
Two more robberies over the weekend.

Campus Alert
Peachtree Center Avenue and Edgewood Avenue
3/12/2011 9:57 p.m.

A Robbery by Intimidation was reported to Georgia State University Police, on Saturday, March 12, 2011 at 9:57 p.m. A GSU student and a Non-GSU student reported that while walking down Edgewood Avenue, they were approached from behind and the suspect demanded money. The suspect stated that he had a gun. They gave him an expired visa card and an old game ticket. There were no injuries reported.

The suspect is described as white male, approximately 5'8" in height,wearing black ball cap, black jacket, dark pants, and unknown color sneakers.

Campus Alert
Aderhold Learning Center (Fairlie Street)
3/13/2011 8:40 p.m.

A Robbery by Intimidation was reported to Georgia State University Police, on Sunday, March 13, 2011 at 8:40 p.m. A GSU student reported after leaving the School of Music, he was approached from behind by three unknown suspects right out front of Aderhold Learning Center. The suspects made him lay on the ground and took his cell phone. There were no injuries reported.

The suspects are described as three black males, slim build and slim weight, one wearing a red hooded sweatshirt. They were last seen heading towards 5 Points Marta Station.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yeah, that'd be nice. Although, I'm not sure of walking around in urban areas oblivious to your surroundings qualifies as "hanging out like college kids." I would probably describe that as "being clueless."
Kinda the same thing, if I recall my college days correctly! I used to walk around in a big city (Boston) rather clueless (or, perhaps, oblivious...) and didn't worry about being mugged, robbed, etc. I think most of us did. I agree with arjay, it's a real shame. Of course, the occasional incident is tragically unavoidable; however, it "seems" that these incidents have become more frequent. I'm sure Bill Clinton would reply, "It's the economy..."

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Whats utterly pathetic is some of these robberies are happening LITERALLY across the Aderhold learning center, across the Rialto. This is a busy area, with a diner, dunkin donuts and GSU police are usually around.

They are robbing people within earshot of the GSU police! That is sad.

This is why students need the right to have arms. They don't allow it and students are open targets.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Whats utterly pathetic is some of these robberies are happening LITERALLY across the Aderhold learning center, across the Rialto. This is a busy area, with a diner, dunkin donuts and GSU police are usually around.

They are robbing people within earshot of the GSU police! That is sad.

This is why students need the right to have arms. They don't allow it and students are open targets.
Additionally, Dept. of Homeland security* often has cars/agents parked right there on the corner, AND, the Ambassador Force headquarters is right across the street on the street level of the Equitable Building.

*Not that muggings are their concern, but their presence should, to some extent, act as a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta