Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Urbanist View Post
Speaking of college students being robbed:
Man robbed outside sports bar *| ajc.com

What's up with this? As if college students didn't have enough stress in their lives already...now they have targets painted on them.
This guy was robbed outside of a sports bar in the suburbs--not exactly a campus policing issue.

Also, I'm a tad bit skeptical that $1,200 cash in his wallet was strictly for "student expenses". I can count on one hand the times I've had anywhere near that much cash on my person, and on none of those situations would you find me anywhere near a sports bar. Obviously I don't know enough to make a firm judgement, but I'd say there is a chance drugs were invloved in this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's a lot of truth in that, although statistically it's pretty dangerous back here at home. Between 2003 and 2009 there have been 115,058 people intentionally killed in the United States (31,902 in California, New York and Texas alone).

By comparison, we've lost 5,885 in Iraq and Afghanistan to date.
But that's coming out of a couple hundred thousand soldiers in the wars at any given time compared against a population of 300,000,000 living in the US.

But yeah, some of America's cities have spectacularly high murder rates: New Orleans and Detroit, for example, are knocking on the door of places like South Africa and El Salvador (though if you look at just Johannesburg or San Salvador, you'll be at yet another level of high murder rates).

Fortunately, Atlanta's murder rate is quite a bit more mellow (less than half of DET and NOLA's, typically).

Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Urbanist View Post
Speaking of college students being robbed:
Man robbed outside sports bar *| ajc.com

What's up with this? As if college students didn't have enough stress in their lives already...now they have targets painted on them.
He had $1,200 in cash? Who carries cash anymore? What cash I carry is for tips or small emergencies.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 PM

166 posts, read 325,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
This guy was robbed outside of a sports bar in the suburbs--not exactly a campus policing issue.

Also, I'm a tad bit skeptical that $1,200 cash in his wallet was strictly for "student expenses". I can count on one hand the times I've had anywhere near that much cash on my person, and on none of those situations would you find me anywhere near a sports bar. Obviously I don't know enough to make a firm judgement, but I'd say there is a chance drugs were invloved in this one.
True. That's pretty fishy. Sounds like a spur-of-the-moment story as to why he had the cash on him.

OK, so that's probably not a related news story after all. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
But that's coming out of a couple hundred thousand soldiers in the wars at any given time compared against a population of 300,000,000 living in the US.
You're right, it's not an exact comparison. It might be more realistic to look at the population in the areas where the murders were concentrated.

And I didn't mean to say they are the same thing, just to note there's a tremendous amount of violence here at home. And the homicide stats don't take into account the vast numbers who are killed by car wrecks, medical errors, suicide and things like that.

Quote:
But yeah, some of America's cities have spectacularly high murder rates: New Orleans and Detroit, for example, are knocking on the door of places like South Africa and El Salvador (though if you look at just Johannesburg or San Salvador, you'll be at yet another level of high murder rates).

Fortunately, Atlanta's murder rate is quite a bit more mellow (less than half of DET and NOLA's, typically).
Oh, yeah, we're dong much better than in the past.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
From a journalistic standpoint I don't think the story has much sizzle unless you play up the college student standpoint.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
How happy would you really be to blow away one of these trapstars??
Honestly, I don't think I'd feel too bad- they clearly asked for it by trying to rob this white chick.

One less piece of trash on the streets. Quick justice and everyone's better off. The end justifies the means.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM

227 posts, read 494,916 times
Three Georgia State students robbed in 4 days *| ajc.com

Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM

35 posts, read 166,097 times
Georgia State was my first choice because they have an excellent Jazz Studies program there. After visiting the campus several times, I decided I didn't need the hassle of driving 85 miles one way. Besides, I didn't want to get robbed which I heard happens constantly in that area.

Last edited by Snowman; 11-03-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 11:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Georgia State was my first choice because they have an excellent Jazz Studies program there. After visiting the campus several times, I decided I didn't need the hassle of driving 85 miles one way. Besides, I didn't want to get robbed which I heard happens constantly in that area.
It doesn't happen constantly. It happens sometimes, as it would on any urban campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta