Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
I don't know if throwing more guns at the problem is going to fix it.
Definitely won't fix it. The students would just strap on their gun, walk around texting and clueless like they do now, then get mugged and have their smart phones, ipods AND guns stolen.

End result: more hot guns on the streets in the wrong hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
If I were a student at GSU you bet I'd be carrying a gun. Until they do an adequate job of protecting students, their policy on firearms is out the window.

I'd definitely use it. Let God sort 'em out.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
If I were a student at GSU you bet I'd be carrying a gun. Until they do an adequate job of protecting students, their policy on firearms is out the window.

I'd definitely use it. Let God sort 'em out.
How happy would you really be to blow away one of these trapstars??

Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Making it less desirable for the bad guys is the only way to deal with the issue, really. Keep on making it difficult and inducing them move until there isn't a place in the City of Atlanta that is convenient for them anymore.

I really don't get why Atlanta has such a small police force (I know money is one core issue), and I think there's a direct correlation between the number of cops on the ground and the amount of crap that goes on in a given city.
Most of the Atlanta population dont likt the police, why would they join law enforcement? Seriously.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Most of the Atlanta population dont likt the police, why would they join law enforcement? Seriously.
I don't know if that's true or not, but another problem with APD is the pay. I was looking at an APD recruitment ad on MARTA the other day and it said starting pay was something like $30,000.

How many people are willing to put their life on the line every single day for a salary that won't even allow you to afford a decent car.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:15 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Who's to say one day a student doesn't get sick of this mess, start holding a firearm and one days discharges it against a criminal and then the student is charged.
Or suppose the student panics and/or slightly miscalculates and/or just thinks he's under attack and blows away a few other students or passers-by? You could do quite a bit of damage with one clip in a matter of seconds.

Yowza, how's that for an urban collegiate experience!

Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't know if that's true or not, but another problem with APD is the pay. I was looking at an APD recruitment ad on MARTA the other day and it said starting pay was something like $30,000.

How many people are willing to put their life on the line every single day for a salary that won't even allow you to afford a decent car.

It's 40k (HS degree) once you finish training. 42k w/ a bachelors. There's also premium pay for holidays/etc. Plus you have nifty things like pensions and other benefits. Still not a ton of money but 40k w/o a college degree isn't too shabby for starting pay assuming you have adequate fitness.

Salary & Benefits (http://www.joinatlantapd.org/salaryandbenefits.htm - broken link)

Go check the US military and you see privates start out at 17k. Sure you get room/board/food...but I'm pretty sure Iraq/Afghanistan are still worse than crappy parts of ATL.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:45 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
It's 40k (HS degree) once you finish training. 42k w/ a bachelors. There's also premium pay for holidays/etc. Plus you have nifty things like pensions and other benefits. Still not a ton of money but 40k w/o a college degree isn't too shabby for starting pay assuming you have adequate fitness.

Salary & Benefits (http://www.joinatlantapd.org/salaryandbenefits.htm - broken link)

Go check the US military and you see privates start out at 17k. Sure you get room/board/food...but I'm pretty sure Iraq/Afghanistan are still worse than crappy parts of ATL.
I guess APD needs to give MARTA some more current and accurate ads.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 PM

166 posts, read 325,929 times
Speaking of college students being robbed:
Man robbed outside sports bar *| ajc.com

What's up with this? As if college students didn't have enough stress in their lives already...now they have targets painted on them.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
..but I'm pretty sure Iraq/Afghanistan are still worse than crappy parts of ATL.
There's a lot of truth in that, although statistically it's pretty dangerous back here at home. Between 2003 and 2009 there have been 115,058 people intentionally killed in the United States (31,902 in California, New York and Texas alone).

By comparison, we've lost 5,885 in Iraq and Afghanistan to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta