Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Additionally, Dept. of Homeland security* often has cars/agents parked right there on the corner, AND, the Ambassador Force headquarters is right across the street on the street level of the Equitable Building.

*Not that muggings are their concern, but their presence should, to some extent, act as a deterrent.
Exactly!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
This is why students need the right to have arms. They don't allow it and students are open targets.
What's the law on that nowadays -- students can carry on the street but not on school premises?

I guess we have to do what we have to do here in Georgia. However, carrying firearms with you at all times and being prepared to use them on an instant's notice does take away from the collegiate experience somewhat. In the old days, you'd often see college students walking around chatting, reading books on park benches, strumming on guitars, hanging out in sidewalk cafes, and so forth. Typically the vast majority of them were completely unarmed. I guess that is not be in our town.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's the law on that nowadays -- students can carry on the street but not on school premises?

I guess we have to do what we have to do here in Georgia. However, carrying firearms with you at all times and being prepared to use them on an instant's notice does take away from the collegiate experience somewhat. In the old days, you'd often see college students walking around chatting, reading books on park benches, strumming on guitars, hanging out in sidewalk cafes, and so forth. Typically the vast majority of them were completely unarmed. I guess that is not be in our town.
I remember playing Assassin in college and running around armed, but I guess a dart pistol or Water Hawk isn't the same as carrying live ammo.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM

112 posts, read 171,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Additionally, Dept. of Homeland security* often has cars/agents parked right there on the corner, AND, the Ambassador Force headquarters is right across the street on the street level of the Equitable Building.

*Not that muggings are their concern, but their presence should, to some extent, act as a deterrent.
FYI - The Ambassadors HQ moved from Equitable a few years ago. After being on P'tree St for a while, they are now on Edgewood across from Woodruff Park

Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Whats utterly pathetic is some of these robberies are happening LITERALLY across the Aderhold learning center, across the Rialto. This is a busy area, with a diner, dunkin donuts and GSU police are usually around.

They are robbing people within earshot of the GSU police! That is sad.

This is why students need the right to have arms. They don't allow it and students are open targets.
Sort of reminds me of my days at Tech. Hardly saw the police around but illegally parked cars are great sources for GT revenue! GT police were slow to respond and didn't care about catching anyone. I knew a girl who had her backpack stolen, flagged down a passing GT police car, told him what happened and was even able to point out the guy. And the officer's response? He told her that she had to go to the GT police department and file a report. She said "But there's the guy!". And he said "Sorry ma'm, you have to file a report first". So she did, then a different officer drove her around campus looking for the guy who was by now long gone. Then the officer told her that it was her lunch break so the girl was dropped off on the other side of campus. I have a low opinion for campus police. They are more about crime reports and do a better job in parking enforcement.

Oh and GT spent a great deal of time, technology, and money to make sure no student can steal the "T" from the Tech tower. Good job!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
FYI - The Ambassadors HQ moved from Equitable a few years ago. After being on P'tree St for a while, they are now on Edgewood across from Woodruff Park
Good to know. I guess I didn't realize they had moved.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm within 1000 feet of any school property, on a school bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or at a school function without written authorization from a school official.
This prohibition shall not apply to: organized sport shooting events, firearms training courses, persons licensed to carry when such person carries or picks up a student, any weapon legally kept in a vehicle in transit through a school zone by any person other than a student, or a firearm in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or in a locked container or locked firearms rack in a motor vehicle being used by a person over 21 to bring or pick up a student.
The 1000 foot zone which extends beyond the actual school property does not apply to persons who reside within the zone, are visiting someone who resides in the zone, or are conducting lawful business within the zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Sort of reminds me of my days at Tech. Hardly saw the police around but illegally parked cars are great sources for GT revenue! GT police were slow to respond and didn't care about catching anyone. I knew a girl who had her backpack stolen, flagged down a passing GT police car, told him what happened and was even able to point out the guy. And the officer's response? He told her that she had to go to the GT police department and file a report. She said "But there's the guy!". And he said "Sorry ma'm, you have to file a report first". So she did, then a different officer drove her around campus looking for the guy who was by now long gone. Then the officer told her that it was her lunch break so the girl was dropped off on the other side of campus. I have a low opinion for campus police. They are more about crime reports and do a better job in parking enforcement.

Oh and GT spent a great deal of time, technology, and money to make sure no student can steal the "T" from the Tech tower. Good job!
Tech police are horrible. just horrible.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM

227 posts, read 494,622 times
I don't know if throwing more guns at the problem is going to fix it.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
But what's wrong with moving the bad guys south? This is the center of our city, and now the campus of GSU, that we are talking about. Why not move it to a place without so many students? We cant just give up.

When did you work downtown? I'm curious if it has improved or declined since then.
2007.....I still go down there quite a bit. Only had one very, very minor pan-handling issue.....broad daylight......it's still pretty run down there.....

Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
I don't know if throwing more guns at the problem is going to fix it.
I'm not saying it should be the wild west. The thing is these criminals know these kids are not armed and its open season on robbing them.

Whats really disturbing is from GA Tech dorms and the University Village to GSU, students continue to get robbed and continue to be victims of crime for the same things over and over. In the meantime they seem to be busy pulling people over for loud music and traffic violations....lame

Clearly the police plan IS NOT WORKING. I understand its downtown and I understand they are not in the most desirable areas but there is no excuse for multiple robberies in the heart of campus in busy areas.

Who's to say one day a student doesn't get sick of this mess, start holding a firearm and one days discharges it against a criminal and then the student is charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta