Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:47 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times

Advertisements

I personally like a small yard because I enjoy gardening. But when I say small...my backyard consists of a parking pad for two cars, and then the actual yard is the same size as the parking pad...you can imagine not large. We've turned it into a courtyard, with a flagstone patio. There is so little grass we mow it with a hand pushed reel mower.

The front yard has been turned into a flagstone walk that catches outflow of people traffic from the front door and steers it around the side of the house to a small fenced in "utility area where we store our bikes, garbage cans, etc. The sides of the walk are garden beds filled with azaleas and hydrangeas.

Once my husband outfitted the garden beds with a low-flow drip irrigation system all we do is turn on the pumps in our rain barrels and the garden is watered. Other maintenance is a matter of a couple weekends of weeding. I like gardening so I don't mind it at all. And it's turned into a nice shady flowery space for entertaining. We have a lot of "vertical" gardening going on.

But I wouldn't want MORE than this. We had more, nearly an acre, back in the burbs and, yes, we were slaves to it's maintenance. Won't go back. We have public parks when we need large green space...two of them within a block of our house.

But even what we have is probably too much for Denny. There are, however, SFHs with even smaller green space than ours, so don't rule out a cottage entirely. Most, though, won't have any kind of garage unless they were built from the 50's and newer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Hire someone. I grew up in a house with a yard etc and I've mowed a lawn twice my whole life. My mother has always hired people and the grass doesn't really grow in the winter so its not even a year round expense. I understand that's an extra expense but I say its worth it. I plan to get a house or townhouse with a little yard one day but you won't EVER see me mowing it. So keep that in mind with your options.
I'd rather not pay someone to do something I'm capable of doing myself. That's one of the things I don't like about townhouses. On the one hand, you don't have a big lawn to mow or weeds to pull. But on the other hand, part of your association fee is going to someone else who does that stuff for you.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Yeah, it does feel very "southern" when you venture far past the Perimeter. Very conservative, very religious, and very family-oriented.
This has less to do with a north vs south thing and more to do with an urban vs non-urban thing. Not sure what about having a family, being religious or being conservative is exclusive to southerners. You will find these qualities in all parts of the country when you get away from large cities.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
This has less to do with a north vs south thing and more to do with an urban vs non-urban thing. Not sure what about having a family, being religious or being conservative is exclusive to southerners. You will find these qualities in all parts of the country when you get away from large cities.
Exactly. That's true of the suburbs in almost every city in the country.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Yeah, it does feel very "southern" when you venture far past the Perimeter. Very conservative, very religious, and very family-oriented. Even if I had kids, I'm not sure I'd want to live out there. As for owning a SFH, no thanks. I don't want to mow the lawn, pull weeds, or clean gutters.
Some of us like to mow!

Me and my partner bought our house close to Brookwood High in Lawrenceville almost 4 years ago, and we have never doubted our decision. We love the area, our neighbors, and friends. I do have a fair number of friends ITP, however I also have a large number close to me in Gwinnett. We have never experienced any sort of backlash in our community for who we are. I will concede that we are fairly conservative ourselves. We both are white, have upper middle class backgrounds, well educated, and religious. I would be careful to paint such broad stokes on areas you have never ventured in. Yes, it's going to be more conservative, but that doesn't always equate to terrible. Gwinnett County offers excellent services for what we pay in taxes. Sometimes that's overlooked. We don't have potholes in Gwinnett.

In all truth however, I would probably move ITP if things permit. The only reason we settled here was that both of our jobs are located directly off Sugarloaf Parkway. We each have less than a 10 minute commute. We love the area, but who knows what the future will hold for us.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Some of us like to mow!

Me and my partner bought our house close to Brookwood High in Lawrenceville almost 4 years ago, and we have never doubted our decision. We love the area, our neighbors, and friends. I do have a fair number of friends ITP, however I also have a large number close to me in Gwinnett. We have never experienced any sort of backlash in our community for who we are. I will concede that we are fairly conservative ourselves. We both are white, have upper middle class backgrounds, well educated, and religious. I would be careful to paint such broad stokes on areas you have never ventured in. Yes, it's going to be more conservative, but that doesn't always equate to terrible. Gwinnett County offers excellent services for what we pay in taxes. Sometimes that's overlooked. We don't have potholes in Gwinnett.

In all truth however, I would probably move ITP if things permit. The only reason we settled here was that both of our jobs are located directly off Sugarloaf Parkway. We each have less than a 10 minute commute. We love the area, but who knows what the future will hold for us.
Hey, a diminished commute ALONE is a reason to live ANYWHERE. I love my intown neighborhood and all but I wouldn't live here if I didn't work here.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Hey, a diminished commute ALONE is a reason to live ANYWHERE. I love my intown neighborhood and all but I wouldn't live here if I didn't work here.
Understand that!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:45 PM

416 posts, read 972,636 times
It's a huge premium to live intown.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Some of us like to mow!

Ugh....This post should have started my partner and I...

I'm not posting anymore after my post church nap. Apparently, I need to be fully awake to post grammatically correct.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
The difference is that if you go to the suburbs of Chicago, you're not likely to see people sporting the confederate flag or people pushing to ban mosques from being built in their neighborhood.

Quote:
I would be careful to paint such broad stokes on areas you have never ventured in.
What makes you think I haven't? I'm not basing my views on guesswork or stereotypes. I've actually done a lot of exploring and am basing my views on what I've actually observed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta