Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,115,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The difference is that if you go to the suburbs of Chicago, you're not likely to see people sporting the confederate flag or people pushing to ban mosques from being built in their neighborhood.

What makes you think I haven't? I'm not basing my views on guesswork or stereotypes. I've actually done a lot of exploring and am basing my views on what I've actually observed.
You really have no idea what you are talking about. I am from the suburbs of Atlanta and I have never once seen a Confederate flag flying. You have to go out to the outer edge of suburbia (the "exurbs") to see that. Besides, a vast majority of suburban residents are not even from the South. Atlanta's suburbs are just like any other major city's. There is nothing "Southern" about them.

As for opposition to mosques, that is an American thing, not a Southern thing. Unless you consider NYC in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,553,784 times
Quote:
Yeah, it does feel very "southern" when you venture far past the Perimeter. Very conservative, very religious, and very family-oriented. Even if I had kids, I'm not sure I'd want to live out there. As for owning a SFH, no thanks. I don't want to mow the lawn, pull weeds, or clean gutters.
Ha ha ha - I think you are confusing "southern" with "redneck". Take a trip to upstate NY, inland empire CA, WV, most of Ohio, western MA. eastern WA or OR, and you will see the same thing. True you may not see an actual Confederate flag, but many of the same sentiments will be in place.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,347,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You really have no idea what you are talking about. I am from the suburbs of Atlanta and I have never once seen a Confederate flag flying. You have to go out to the outer edge of suburbia (the "exurbs") to see that.
No you don't.

There's a guy on Montreal Road, a few houses down from Lawrenceville Highway (INISDE the perimeter, for what it's worth), who flies the confederate flag.

I've seen confederate flags flying in Lilburn, Clarkston, Valley Brook, Decatur, Tucker, Chamblee, and many other places that are not exurbs.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM

616 posts, read 1,116,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennycrane View Post
the difference is that if you go to the suburbs of chicago, you're not likely to see people sporting the confederate flag or people pushing to ban mosques from being built in their neighborhood.
lol.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,983,128 times
Quote:
The difference is that if you go to the suburbs of Chicago, you're not likely to see people sporting the confederate flag or people pushing to ban mosques from being built in their neighborhood.

What makes you think I haven't? I'm not basing my views on guesswork or stereotypes. I've actually done a lot of exploring and am basing my views on what I've actually observed.
As has been said (oddly, I'm agreeing with BBC ) the vast majority of the suburbs of Atlanta are filled with transplants. In 1980, there were 70,000 people in Gwinnett. We are now a county of over 800,000. They didn't just rapidly multiply. My particular neighborhood is filled with a mix of retirees and young couples. The majority of the young couples are from the NE and Ohio...a lot from Ohio actually. Also, my next door neighbor is Brazilian, I have 2 Pakistani families down the street, and several houses of East Europeans (Bosnian, Latvian, and Croation).

I'm not trying to convince you that you indeed HAVE to move to this suburbs. It's definitely a bit slower out here, and very family oriented. However, it isn't full of rednecks either. We are a metropolitan area of over 5 million, this isn't Birmingham.

(PS I love actually quite like Birmingham )

Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,115,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
No you don't.

There's a guy on Montreal Road, a few houses down from Lawrenceville Highway (INISDE the perimeter, for what it's worth), who flies the confederate flag.

I've seen confederate flags flying in Lilburn, Clarkston, Valley Brook, Decatur, Tucker, Chamblee, and many other places that are not exurbs.
Eh, those places don't really fit into the stereotypical "suburb" that the OP was referring to--places like Dunwoody, East Cobb, Alpharetta. Tucker and Chamblee and places like that are more blue collar suburbs, and tend to have more redneck types in them. You will not see a Confederate flag flying in Roswell.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:22 PM

616 posts, read 1,116,280 times
Quote:
If you see a Confederate flag flying in Decatur please take a pic and post it. That would be highly unusual.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:05 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Eh, those places don't really fit into the stereotypical "suburb" that the OP was referring to--places like Dunwoody, East Cobb, Alpharetta. Tucker and Chamblee and places like that are more blue collar suburbs, and tend to have more redneck types in them. You will not see a Confederate flag flying in Roswell.
I was responding to you, not the OP. Just be honest and accept the fact that what you said was wrong. You DO NOT have to go to the exurbs to see confederate flags.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
If you see a Confederate flag flying in Decatur please take a pic and post it. That would be highly unusual.
Not saying I saw it yesterday. I don't know if I could find one in Decatur today, but I have seen at least one there in recent years.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 AM

23,578 posts, read 44,313,096 times
Quote:
Not saying I saw it yesterday. I don't know if I could find one in Decatur today, but I have seen at least one there in recent years.
Really? In all the years that I lived there, I saw one...On the headquarters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. They finally had to remove it due to frequent vandalism.
Rainbow flags? Yes. Confederate flags? No. As far as values and political philosophy are concerned, Decatur may as well be in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta