Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM

386 posts, read 366,395 times

Advertisements

My spouse (mainland citizen/native) and I (darn Yankee, current expat) now live in Hong Kong, but are considering buying a house for either investment or potential relocation purposes. Which Atlanta areas or burbs might be more accommodating for a mixed Chinese and white couple?

Which areas might best leverage her upbringing, business, linguistic, and cultural insight, and my related white person's global experience in several countries (Asia and elsewhere) and resulting cross-cultural experience/ comfort and some language capabilities? We're both a bit over educated, but in spite of that still have some good common sense and enjoy interacting with and learning from people of widely diverse backgrounds. Thank you in advance for any helpful, non-racist, insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM

957 posts, read 3,357,567 times
Honey Pig... was awesome...! It was kind of pricey though.... Welcome

Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Just a curious question. Is there any other city in Atlanta metro that has a higher Asian % than Johns Creek? or does Johns Creek have the highest Asian population compared to all other cities? i.e. Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, etc.?

Johns Creek population is 76728... 6.5% of JC is made up of Korean (around 5,000) and 18,000 Asians, around 23% of the population. If there any other cities in Atlanta metro that has number and percentages higher than this?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 PM

329 posts, read 638,433 times
I don't have any references, but I would think Suwanee or Duluth may have high asian populations as well.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Suwanee population is 15,335 18% Asian 9.6% Korean
Duluth population is 26,600 22.4% Asian 9.8% Korean

5920 + 2761 = 8681 Asians in both Duluth and Suwanee. It is nothing compared to the 18k Asian population of Johns Creek.

I am curious to know if any other city in metro Atlanta that has a higher number 18k?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Suwanee population is 15,335 18% Asian 9.6% Korean
Duluth population is 26,600 22.4% Asian 9.8% Korean

5920 + 2761 = 8681 Asians in both Duluth and Suwanee. It is nothing compared to the 18k Asian population of Johns Creek.

I am curious to know if any other city in metro Atlanta that has a higher number 18k?

No.

Remember, Metro Atlanta includes majority unincorporated land--so most of the time, city populations are not really an accurate reflection.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Just a curious question. Is there any other city in Atlanta metro that has a higher Asian % than Johns Creek? or does Johns Creek have the highest Asian population compared to all other cities? i.e. Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, etc.?

Johns Creek population is 76728... 6.5% of JC is made up of Korean (around 5,000) and 18,000 Asians, around 23% of the population. If there any other cities in Atlanta metro that has number and percentages higher than this?
By just looking at cities, you're excluding something like 80% of the metro (since the Atlanta metro is mostly unincorporated). Of course, I'm not sure how the demographic information for unincorporated areas is gathered and presented. On the county level? So you might not have much choice.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No.

Remember, Metro Atlanta includes majority unincorporated land--so most of the time, city populations are not really an accurate reflection.
I didn't see your post. Sorry. Should read the entire thread first.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Yeah, East Cobb and Peachtree Corners both have a fair amount of Asians. Tons are moving to South Forsyth, with its Asian population growing 1,291.7 percent over the past ten years (source: Census data shows explosive growth in Forsyth County | News | Cumming News). All of these areas are unincorporated.

Also, don't forget about the city of Doraville, which is the historic center of Atlanta's Asian community even if Johns Creek has surpassed it population-wise.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
More evidence that we've become an Asian Mecca.

Quote:
Increased immigration from South Asia helped fuel the rapid growth in the number of Asian Americans over the last decade as well as an influx of Asians to states such as Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina and Georgia, according to an analysis of U.S. Census data released Wednesday.

Though California’s population of more than 5.5 million Asian Americans remained the country’s largest, several other states showed significant growth over the last decade. The population of Asian Americans in Nevada more than doubled, while in Arizona it almost doubled.

Southern states, including Georgia, Arkansas and Alabama, also showed rapid growth. Helen Kim Ho, executive director of the Asian American Legal Advocacy Center, which opened last year in Georgia, moved to Atlanta with her family when she was in middle school.

At the time, she said, she was the only Asian American in her school and only one store in town sold Asian foods. Now, she said, there are “maybe a dozen mega markets” that serve Asian Americans.

“The face of Georgia has literally changed,” she said, but things like social services and government services have lagged. “We’re not getting the kind of support that we need,” she said. “Hopefully that will change sooner or later.”

Asian Americans now country's fastest growing racial group - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta