Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,994 times

Advertisements

lol @ GRU getting football. GSU, GA Southern, KSU and GRU are wasting their time and their students/endowment's money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
lol @ GRU getting football. GSU, GA Southern, KSU and GRU are wasting their time and their students/endowment's money
I have to agree with you some what, GRU starting a football team at this level is asinine. If GRU should build on athletics, they should start with it's strengths, which are basketball, golf and I believe baseball. If they can find success at the division I level then and only then should the idea of football arise. ASU already has a national championship golf team so those other sports should be next. I would personally like to see GRU break into the track and field and soccer world first. As for GSU, GA Southern and KSU, I personally can not speak on them, because I have not studied their athletic programs.

Another factor that might push GRU to start a football team is the creation of a team by cross town rival Paine College.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I have to agree with you some what, GRU starting a football team at this level is asinine. If GRU should build on athletics, they should start with it's strengths, which are basketball, golf and I believe baseball. If they can find success at the division I level then and only then should the idea of football arise. ASU already has a national championship golf team so those other sports should be next. I would personally like to see GRU break into the track and field and soccer world first. As for GSU, GA Southern and KSU, I personally can not speak on them, because I have not studied their athletic programs.

Another factor that might push GRU to start a football team is the creation of a team by cross town rival Paine College.
It all sounds great for alumni and gift giving, but when schools put sports over everything else the students suffer. I love football. I love sports, but the pay gap between the big conferences and the smaller conferences is getting bigger and bigger. It's a personal hypothesis of mine that the big 5 will always dominate college football(BIG 10, SEC, BIG 12, PAC, ACC). Big East is gone..I think the ACC might go too.

I just don't know how GRU is going to pull off multiple campuses, a potential UGA med school competitor and using ASU in a meaningful way AND consider sports...football or basketball. It's great for community and tradition at schools, but I think GRU should worry about it's undergraduate program first. That itself is going to take a long time to build up. This ASU-GRU merger isn't small talk.

I sort of just fish GRU would go back to being "the med school"

I don't think any of this is going to fly with the BOR.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,115,918 times
Trust me, the BOR fully support Dr. Azziz 100% in anything he wishes to accomplish.

When Nathan Deal gave the GGHF property on the river(17 acres) to GHSU and not the city of Augusta. I think the majority of people saw the writing on the wall. The mayor of Augusta is very popular around the state, and Dr. Azziz still won out.

The BOR/Gov Deal have already given Augusta millions for the $76 million Medical Commons under construction, and $5 million towards the existing cancer center. They also included $45 million in the budget for the $100 milion cancer center, and stated Augusta will become the 2nd NCI cancer center(after Emory).

I don't think it's a coincidence Dr. Azziz and the mayor of Augusta continually ranked in the top 100 most influential Georgians. I know Dr. Azziz has the ambitions of Augusta competing against Georgia Tech and UGA in the future. Anybody shares with the public he didn't recognize the celebrities in LA won't be afraid of either UGA or GT.

Just read below what they had to say on the subject in Georgia Trend.

Georgia's Power List - Georgia Trend
Azziz, who took the helm at GHSU in 2010, is leading the organization in a strategic 10-year growth plan called Transformation 2020. The goal is to remake GHSU into an integrated, world-class organization delivering excellence in biomedical education, research and clinical service. The next two years will be crucial as GHSU devises strategy and deals with national healthcare reform.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Trust me, the BOR fully support Dr. Azziz 100% in anything he wishes to accomplish.

When Nathan Deal gave the GGHF property on the river(17 acres) to GHSU and not the city of Augusta. I think the majority of people saw the writing on the wall. The mayor of Augusta is very popular around the state, and Dr. Azziz still won out.

The BOR/Gov Deal have already given Augusta millions for the $76 million Medical Commons under construction, and $5 million towards the existing cancer center. They also included $45 million in the budget for the $100 milion cancer center, and stated Augusta will become the 2nd NCI cancer center(after Emory).

I don't think it's a coincidence Dr. Azziz and the mayor of Augusta continually ranked in the top 100 most influential Georgians. I know Dr. Azziz has the ambitions of Augusta competing against Georgia Tech and UGA in the future. Anybody shares with the public he didn't recognize the celebrities in LA won't be afraid of either UGA or GT.

Just read below what they had to say on the subject in Georgia Trend.

Georgia's Power List - Georgia Trend
Azziz, who took the helm at GHSU in 2010, is leading the organization in a strategic 10-year growth plan called Transformation 2020. The goal is to remake GHSU into an integrated, world-class organization delivering excellence in biomedical education, research and clinical service. The next two years will be crucial as GHSU devises strategy and deals with national healthcare reform.

"The BOR/Gov Deal have already given Augusta millions for the $76 million Medical Commons under construction, and $5 million towards the existing cancer center. They also included $45 million in the budget for the $100 milion cancer center, and stated Augusta will become the 2nd NCI cancer center(after Emory)."

Everything listed here is awesome and incredible and the best for GEORGIA HEALTH SCIENCE UNIVERSITY NOT AZZIZ! THAT is the type of stuff that will change MCG into the next UCSF. Every student at GRU is going to benefit from all of those developments. Even UGA and their partnership too. THIS is how we should be spending money. We should build up science as tall as we build our churches. What the hell? Would you rather all that NOT be approved? If BOR didn't approve all of this that would be an outrage.

Im sure ole Ricardo has some fine connections, but don't overlook the good stuff. What is Augusta going to do with the property? Build some more golf courses? Azziz's developments are going to propel Augusta so far into the future Augusta residents will be husking corn with lasers.

I don't know. A part of me feels bad for augusta residents and another part of me honestly believes that they just don't know any better. I thought Augusta's economy was all health and technology? So this isn't a plus for them?

Come on. Schools first. Shopping malls and golf courses later. There is nothing Augusta could have done that could compare with GRU's growth.

and ole ric made it happen.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
I have to disagree with you there. GRU's undergraduate programs are essentially ASU's undergraduate programs. So essentially you're saying that Augusta State will be chosen over GSU, GCSU, KSU, GA Southern etc. Highly unlikely if even possible.

ASU's campus will still serve ASU students. The only new thing is this BS-MD program, which many schools have. I highly doubt anyone would choose to live in Augusta over college towns or Atlanta. There simply isn't enough to do for the students..not professionally, not recreationally, not academically. ASU hasn't built up it's undergrad just yet.

BUT! What I do think will happen is Augusta students who would otherwise go to GSU, GA Southern, SPSU, KSU etc. might instead of choose to stay at GRU. That number probably won't be significant to the overall system or population. However, it probably will result in some of the brighter students staying at GRU(note the avg SAT scores). But It's not like all the creme of the crop to the back up schools will suddenly flock to ASU simply because they're mildly affiliated with a medical school.

Augusta's growth is phenomenal. GRU is a phenomenal choice for medical and dental students(especially considering the tuition), but not so much for undergrads.

Regarding GT and GSU, Georgia Tech's growth has been pretty steady over the past two decades. I mean, this IS Georgia Tech we're talking about. They have the Engineered-BioSystems Building, the Carbon-Neutral Energy Solutions Laboratory, the new tennis complex, the Clough study commons etc.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that GT would churn out top level discoveries if partnered with GRU. The school is, quite literally, a gold mine for STEM research. As for GSU, the Center of Behavioral Neuroscience is based in Atlanta. This essentially led to the formation of GSU's neuroscience institute. Then we have the new science building that will be coming up right next to the Park Place science center. Apart from this, GSU has mostly focused on it's housing. We have the two hotels converted into a new residence hall, and we have the old Ramada inn which will be converted into a new housing place as well. They will also be acquiring a small facility near the GSU Commons to serve as an administrative building, as an effort to expand north.
University Village attracts mostly nonlocal students to the 500 beds in two- and four-bedroom apartments. This fall, just 86 of 468 residents have listed hometowns of Augusta, Hephzibah, Harlem, Thomson, Evans, North Augusta and Aiken. The rest come from around Georgia, 46 other states and even other countries.

Scott Argo, the assistant director of admissions, said recruitment has been strongest in the Atlanta suburbs, especially Gwinnett County. Some Atlanta private school students pay less for college tuition at ASU than they paid for high school. In 2004, the year before student housing opened, 20 Gwinnett County students enrolled at ASU. That number peaked at 94 students in 2010.

Augusta State focuses on statewide recruitment | The Augusta Chronicle

Back in the year 2010 even before the merger was announced ASU had almost 100 students from Gwinnett County. In 2011 382 of the 486 students living at University Village weren't from metro Augusta.

Students accepted to the Medical College of Georgia prefer the main campus in Augusta over the new branch campus in Athens by about 6-to-1, MCG Dean Douglas Miller told the University System Board of Regents this morning.
MCG applicants prefer Augusta to Athens by 6-1 margin | Online Athens

Medical students picked Augusta 6-1 over Athens...

I do agree Augusta can't match Atlanta in terms of amenities, or the 'college vibe' of Athens. I do think Augusta being a much bigger city outweighs the college atmosphere in Statesboro/Valdosta, and balances things out with Athens. I'm positive tons of students who grew up in metro Atlanta for the majority of their lives would like to experience another city.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
"The BOR/Gov Deal have already given Augusta millions for the $76 million Medical Commons under construction, and $5 million towards the existing cancer center. They also included $45 million in the budget for the $100 milion cancer center, and stated Augusta will become the 2nd NCI cancer center(after Emory)."

Everything listed here is awesome and incredible and the best for GEORGIA HEALTH SCIENCE UNIVERSITY NOT AZZIZ! THAT is the type of stuff that will change MCG into the next UCSF. Every student at GRU is going to benefit from all of those developments. Even UGA and their partnership too. THIS is how we should be spending money. We should build up science as tall as we build our churches. What the hell? Would you rather all that NOT be approved? If BOR didn't approve all of this that would be an outrage.

Im sure ole Ricardo has some fine connections, but don't overlook the good stuff. What is Augusta going to do with the property? Build some more golf courses? Azziz's developments are going to propel Augusta so far into the future Augusta residents will be husking corn with lasers.

I don't know. A part of me feels bad for augusta residents and another part of me honestly believes that they just don't know any better. I thought Augusta's economy was all health and technology? So this isn't a plus for them?

Come on. Schools first. Shopping malls and golf courses later. There is nothing Augusta could have done that could compare with GRU's growth.

and ole ric made it happen.
The mayor wanted the property for the multi-use stadium/mix-use development. Both Cal Ripken and Jim Jacoby were both apart of the development. Some people are trying to figure out why Dr. Azziz couldn't share 17 acres of prime real estate on the river. The idea of having a football team would have automatically became reality.

The residents of Augusta fully support the growth coming to the city. They didn't support 'University of Augusta' winning the survey, and the BOR still choosing Georgia Regents University-Augusta. The BOR should have just skipped the whole charade, and chosen Georgia Regents(Azziz choice) from the beginning.

This is right after Dr. Azziz tried to close down one of the most important streets before contacting the residents of the community. I think the residents of any city would have problems with those scenarios.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-06-2013 at 10:12 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
University Village attracts mostly nonlocal students to the 500 beds in two- and four-bedroom apartments. This fall, just 86 of 468 residents have listed hometowns of Augusta, Hephzibah, Harlem, Thomson, Evans, North Augusta and Aiken. The rest come from around Georgia, 46 other states and even other countries.

Scott Argo, the assistant director of admissions, said recruitment has been strongest in the Atlanta suburbs, especially Gwinnett County. Some Atlanta private school students pay less for college tuition at ASU than they paid for high school. In 2004, the year before student housing opened, 20 Gwinnett County students enrolled at ASU. That number peaked at 94 students in 2010.

Augusta State focuses on statewide recruitment | The Augusta Chronicle

Back in the year 2010 even before the merger was announced ASU had almost 100 students from Gwinnett County. In 2011 382 of the 486 students living at University Village weren't from metro Augusta.

Students accepted to the Medical College of Georgia prefer the main campus in Augusta over the new branch campus in Athens by about 6-to-1, MCG Dean Douglas Miller told the University System Board of Regents this morning.
MCG applicants prefer Augusta to Athens by 6-1 margin | Online Athens

Medical students picked Augusta 6-1 over Athens...

I do agree Augusta can't match Atlanta in terms of amenities, or the 'college vibe' of Athens. I do think Augusta being a much bigger city outweighs the college atmosphere in Statesboro/Valdosta, and balances things out with Athens. I'm positive tons of students who grew up in metro Atlanta for the majority of their lives would like to experience another city.
I'm surprised about the recruitment but ASU recruits the worst of the worst. Literally. The worst of the worst. Those Gwinnett students will probably never get their degrees. ASU students should not even be in college look at the average SAT/GPA. College isn't for everyone. Only when what I just said isn't seen as an insult will things start to get better for 'most' students. 67% ASU students return for sophomore year. The scariest part is ASU has a 54% acceptance rate. My god what are these people DOING.

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/c...ate-university

6-1 picked Augusta over Athens because the Athens campus is just starting out. There are more research opportunities at the main campus than there are at the Athens campus. That may change later on though as they build it up. I mean this was year one for that campus. They moved in this summer.. I toured the other day. Nice place.

GRU has a lot of fixin' to do

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
The mayor wanted the property for the multi-use stadium/mix-use development. Both Cal Ripken and Jim Jacoby were both apart of the development. Some people are trying to figure out why Dr. Azziz couldn't share 17 acres of prime real estate on the river. The idea of having a football team would have automatically became reality.

The residents of Augusta fully support the growth coming to the city. They didn't support 'University of Augusta' winning the survey, and the BOR still choosing Georgia Regents University-Augusta. The BOR should have just skipped the whole charade, and chosen Georgia Regents(Azziz choice) from the beginning.

This is right after Dr. Azziz tried to close down one of the most important streets before contacting the residents of the community. I think the residents of any city would have problems with those scenarios.
Wow. You would rather have a football field than multimillion dollar research facilities.

GRU doesn't need football. They need smarts. American colleges are becoming a joke.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 AM

I'm positive the majority students who didn't meet the requirements at ASU were from metro Augusta/CSRA(8% according to latest stats). Additional many students who attend the university are grown adults with jobs and children. They might not graduate in four or six years, but many do end up graduating. They've already said due to the merger several things will change. The focus is attracting the 18-22 year old student, dual enrollment with Richmond County high schools, increased interaction between medical/undergraduate faculty, considering making intervention mandatory through a alert system, incentive programs, etc....

The medical school in Athens still offered the UGA experience, and 6-1 is a very wide margin. Some officials predicted it would probably attract more than Augusta because Athens is a college town. At the end of the day Augusta is just bigger, and offers more than Athens overall. Athens is predicted to have 60 students per yeear in 2020 versus the 300 in Augusta. I don't see much changing if those students are directly looking at research opportunities.

Quote:
Wow. You would rather have a football field than multimillion dollar research facilities.

GRU doesn't need football. They need smarts. American colleges are becoming a joke.
The merger is between GSHU/ASU, and ASU offers several athletic programs... The majority of the students at the new university will be former ASU students in the beginning. The campus atmosphere, school spirit, local community support due to athletics, etc is all from ASU...

The idea was a multi use stadium(baseball, soccer, football), residential, and restaurants. The Jacoby Group had a mixed-use development for the property at the GGHF.. I think you're also forgetting Dr. Azziz could have shared the land, because it's 17 acres.

I'm sure the developments will bring new life into Augusta, but I wanted GHSU, Jim Jacoby, and Cal Ripken Jr to all get their piece of the pie..

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-07-2013 at 12:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta