Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM

472 posts, read 809,334 times

Advertisements

Wait, wait, wait.

What's all this about porting the medical school to Athens? I just visited the brand new grounds for the medical and dental commons building. The dental school just got an incredible building not too long ago. Augusta has incredible infrastructure. The "power" isn't going anywhere Mathman. Augusta residents are causing a bit of a fuss over nothing. They're being benefited. I don't think they even realize. ASU was a wasteland. The school was bleeding money and students. The GRU name is a step UP from Augusta State U. The UGA medical campus has a max capacity of 80 students I believe. The Augusta campus has a max capacity yet to be reached.

I understand the name situation is a royal mess, but c'mon now. Don't start this conspiracy theory about UGA stealing Augusta's medical school. The anti-Azziz folk will probably buy it. It's not going to happen. IF a merger happens, it'll be a name thing - which will be good for everyone, but it'll be just that. It'll be much like how University of Alabama has their main campus, but then they have the Birmingham medical campus like someone mentioned.

And that last bit regarding it not being a big deal. You clearly haven't spoken to any medical or pre-medical students recently. Sure, Emory's the main one, but we need GHSU too! If you don't get what I'm aiming at, then I'm not going to press the topic! Check some sort of ROI analysis on WebMD! GHSU is a very affordable medical and dental school, and cost is a big deal for health science students.

And the GHSU-UGA Medical Partnership is actually jointly operated by GHSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Does UGA really think GRU is a threat because it has the states flagship medical university? Basically this is a who's junk is bigger game.
Not so much a threat...but rather UGA wants a med school. They lacked engineering...now they've got it...they lacked a med school...they'll eventually get it.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,708 times
I mean..that's part of their research push right? They can't really compete without engineering and a medical school. And Georgia does need another medical school. I would rather see a merger TBH. It'll take so long to build a school from scratch..I guess GHSU will sort of incubate the medical campus until the time is right for UGA College of Medicine.

Just realized nothing in this thread referred to the students. Isn't that funny....

Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I mean..that's part of their research push right? They can't really compete without engineering and a medical school. And Georgia does need another medical school. I would rather see a merger TBH. It'll take so long to build a school from scratch..I guess GHSU will sort of incubate the medical campus until the time is right for UGA College of Medicine.
With GSU being right beside Grady, I thought GSU would be a good candidate for a med school too. Azziz of GRU is talking of branch campuses around the state and that includes Atlanta. Maybe GSU can score a partnership with GRU and split off its own med school?

Quote:
Just realized nothing in this thread referred to the students. Isn't that funny....
They are but pawns in this power play my friend.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 PM

That would be awesome, but I don't think we're ready for that...I work at Grady. No one wants to go to Grady.

And that's coming from a Grady baby.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:

I don't think anybody knows for sure how things are going to work out for the students. Everything is pretty much in the hands of Dr. Azziz.. Dr. Azziz obviously came here with a plan, and support from the Gov/Board of Regents. He's mention before that he even didn't know the celebrities who came in at his former workplace(Cedars-Sinai in LA). He didn't want to share anything with Cal Ripken/Jim Jacoby in order to keep the 17 acre GGHF site for the university.

Got mad at the city because they sold land to Walmart(neighborhood market/other businesses), and not to GHSU. Tried to close down Laney Walker Boulevard(one of the most famous streets in Augusta) before telling the residents of the community.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
[/b]
I don't think anybody knows for sure how things are going to work out for the students. Everything is pretty much in the hands of Dr. Azziz.. Dr. Azziz obviously came here with a plan, and support from the Gov/Board of Regents. He's mention before that he even didn't know the celebrities who came in at his former workplace(Cedars-Sinai in LA). He didn't want to share anything with Cal Ripken/Jim Jacoby in order to keep the 17 acre GGHF site for the university.

Got mad at the city because they sold land to Walmart(neighborhood market/other businesses), and not to GHSU. Tried to close down Laney Walker Boulevard(one of the most famous streets in Augusta) before telling the residents of the community.
I can tell you're really passionate about Augusta and I really like that. Props to you.

But honestly, I care about the med students more than Augusta residents. I know that's harsh, but c'mon.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:
I can tell you're really passionate about Augusta and I really like that. Props to you.

But honestly, I care about the med students more than Augusta residents. I know that's harsh, but c'mon.
I should let you in on a couple of things. The city demolished Underwood Homes, and gave the property to GHSU. The property is home to the dental school, and medical commons under construction.

The Board of Regents can't pay for everything Dr. Azziz wants.

''The University System of Georgia Board of Regents voted to request $45 million in bond funding in Fiscal Year 2014 for a planned $100 million cancer center at GHSU. The school also received a $20 million pledge toward the building from a grateful cancer patient.''

He needs the help of the government, community, and local philanthropist to reach the goal.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,513 times
What a stupid name for the new school. It should have been the University of Augusta. Regents sounds like Western Governors University or some other online school. At least Augusta is a known brand, thanks to The Masters.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Why did you post this in the Atlanta forum??? You will get much better answers in the Georgia or Augusta forum.
It seem like he or she was trying to hide from the augusta forum because he or she know we have would have call him or her out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta