Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times

Advertisements

In 2013, Augusta State University and Georgia Health Sciences University will be no more. 'Georgia Regents University' will be the fourth comprehensive research university with an undergraduate program in the state joining UGA, Georgia Tech and Georgia State. So I was beginning to wonder...what's going to happen to ASU students and the students the school currently serves? It turns out the president of GHSU has it all figured out. It's no surprise that admission standards will change for GRU. For GRU to compete with the other research universities(as well as house our only public medical and dental school in Georgia) they will have to.

Comparison of average SAT scores across Georgia's universities(2011 data from USG and CollegeBoard):
* = designates a research university

Emory U(private): 1415
*Georgia Tech: 1354
*University of Georgia: 1221
Georgia College and State University: 1155
Southern Polytechnic State U: 1131
Mercer University(private): 1118
NGCSU(will become UNG in 2013): 1113
Georgia Southern: 1112
4-year USG average SAT score: 1096
*Georgia State: 1095
Kennesaw State: 1079
Agnes Scott College(private): 1140
Morehouse College(private): 1075
Armstrong Atlantic State u: 1025
Valdosta State: 997
University of West Georgia: 993
*Augusta State(will merge with GHSU to become Georgia Regents University): 986

Dr. Azziz has outlined his plans on his blog. So what Dr. Azziz has planned this time so that those students who are local to the Augusta area will be able to, essentially, get a break. There will also be special admissions available to the local area, but it seems GRU will be increasing it's freshman admissions profile.

There are 3 parts to his addressing:
Can We Maintain Access at a Research University?: The case of the ASU-GHSU Consolidation (Part III) « Sculpting in Clay

What do you all think about this? I think in theory, it'll be good for Augusta and Georgia. Money saved, a better reputation, more jobs brought to Georgia(especially medical jobs due to GHSU, Baxter pharma etc.), development in Augusta and south Georgia. Although, I still believe this GRU fiasco is a coverup for the BOR's eventual plans to merge UGA with GHSU/GRU. Georgia Regents University..the nerve. I guess the BOR needed a new ego booster now that Adams is finally on his way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Why did you post this in the Atlanta forum??? You will get much better answers in the Georgia or Augusta forum.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
I hate name.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Surprisingly it appears more people in Atlanta support the name University of Augusta over anything else, I think most just would rather see that then this.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Are those Emory stats accurate? Didn't they just get busted for posting inaccurate SAT scores?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Surprisingly it appears more people in Atlanta support the name University of Augusta over anything else, I think most just would rather see that then this.

University of Augusta would be awesome.

Mathman has suggested this name at various times on here as well.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Why did you post this in the Atlanta forum??? You will get much better answers in the Georgia or Augusta forum.
Those boards don't get any traffic!

I'm sure a moderator can move the thread if there isn't much discussion here.

I think University of Augusta would've been a better name as well. I love the renamed; University of North Georgia. GHSU was like UCSF. Now they're like UCSF merging with San Francisco State. I just don't get it. What would UCSF do if it were to merge with San Francisco State. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

The data was pulled from Collegeboard. I didn't want to risk what Emory posted, but Emory's score is sort of irrelevant to ASU and GRU..and the USG.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Those boards don't get any traffic!

I'm sure a moderator can move the thread if there isn't much discussion here.

I think University of Augusta would've been a better name as well. I love the renamed; University of North Georgia. GHSU was like UCSF. Now they're like UCSF merging with San Francisco State. I just don't get it. What would UCSF do if it were to merge with San Francisco State. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

The data was pulled from Collegeboard. I didn't want to risk what Emory posted, but Emory's score is sort of irrelevant to ASU and GRU..and the USG.
Lol, hey I'm not mad, what ever gets the question answered.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
^ Yeah but...ya gotta at least make it Atlanta connected. This is more about Augusta.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
^ Yeah but...ya gotta at least make it Atlanta connected. This is more about Augusta.
What affects Augusta will eventually affect Atlanta and the Georgia economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta