Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,041 times

Advertisements

With the shortage of medical professionals across the state especially in Atlanta which is expected to grow to over 7 million by 2025, eyes are on the success of this institution to create the next generation of medical professions to keep the state healthy. Atlanta has Emory but it is a private school, not much the state can do. With this school the state can mold and shape it to further benefit it's interest, that would explain the countless millions being invested as we speak. This school is just as important to Atlanta as it is to Augusta or even the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 PM

472 posts, read 810,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
With the shortage of medical professionals across the state especially in Atlanta which is expected to grow to over 7 million by 2025, eyes are on the success of this institution to create the next generation of medical professions to keep the state healthy. Atlanta has Emory but it is a private school, not much the state can do. With this school the state can mold and shape it to further benefit it's interest, that would explain the countless millions being invested as we speak. This school is just as important to Atlanta as it is to Augusta or even the state.
Agreed. Entirely. GHSU also holds the highest ranked public nursing program in our state and the 25th best PA program in the nation. GRU's future is very important for everybody.

Rumor is Azziz plans to make multiple branch campuses for GRU, apart from the one in Athens. There was also something about adding a football team? I'm not sure what he's getting at. I haven't seen something like this anywhere in the country.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
What affects Augusta will eventually affect Atlanta and the Georgia economy.
That's a bit of a stretch. And really, Atlanta doesn't need Augusta.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That's a bit of a stretch. And really, Atlanta doesn't need Augusta.
Stop griping and let the mods move it if it need be. I for one feel it is important to Atlanta and the state and truth be, the Atlanta forum gets more response than the Augusta forum.

I posted this on the Augusta forum re the name change some months back, but I think it should be the ONE campus that is affiliated with the University of Georgia and be called the University of Georgia at Augusta, home of the UGA medical school.

At any rate, the horrible Georgia Health Sciences University name is gone. So sad to take a distinguished name like the Medical College of Georgia and make it sound like an 8th grade gym class alternative.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Stop griping and let the mods move it if it need be. I for one feel it is important to Atlanta and the state and truth be, the Atlanta forum gets more response than the Augusta forum.

I posted this on the Augusta forum re the name change some months back, but I think it should be the ONE campus that is affiliated with the University of Georgia and be called the University of Georgia at Augusta, home of the UGA medical school.

At any rate, the horrible Georgia Health Sciences University name is gone. So sad to take a distinguished name like the Medical College of Georgia and make it sound like an 8th grade gym class alternative.
I have a feeling the mergers coming honestly. DCM is right. This whole thing is really unusual.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Green--Yes.

Blue--Good Idea.

Yellow--True.

I do not like the Georgia Regents University name as well.

I like:

University of Augusta
Medical College of Georgia
University of Georgia at Augusta (good idea)

Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,994 times
University of Augusta...I like it better than MCG?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 AM

472 posts, read 810,029 times
Medical College of Georgia was scrapped because among the medical community, "medical college of ____" is less prestigious and comprehensive sounding...at least according to Azziz. I suppose it makes sense. MCV changed it's name a long time ago. I can't think of too many health science schools with the name of medical college of ____, and the ones I can think of aren't very out there.

UGA at Augusta would be a great idea, and it would significantly cut down on costs. The move would be inline with the school and state's mission to rebrand itself and conduct more high profile research(the GHSU-UGA Medical Partnership helped with this). Plus, we would get rid of that Ricardo Azziz. That'll please any Augusta resident. Anyone know how much medical/dental administrative staff cost?

After the Regents cursed UGA for 16 years with that Adams, it's the least they can do. July can't come soon enough.

I also think such a merger would bring money to Augusta to help bolster development. South Georgia needs it, Atlanta needs it, Georgia needs it. The US needs it.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Green--Yes.

Blue--Good Idea.

Yellow--True.

I do not like the Georgia Regents University name as well.

I like:

University of Augusta
Medical College of Georgia
University of Georgia at Augusta (good idea)
I had liked the proposed Georgia A&M for Arts and Medicine. Yes, it is a take on the old Agricultrual and Mechanical name of the past, but places like Texas A&M are so far past being an agricultural and mechanical school that the name doesn't mean what it has formerly meant there anyway.

The University of Georgia at Augusta, home of the Medical College of Georgia gives it the proper blend of connection with the state as a whole and doesn't diminish a national prominence. It would be akin to what is in Alabama, the main campus of the U of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa but the state's main medical school is located at UAB (Alabama-Birmingaham). The presence of that medical school is really what put UAB on the map in all areas where it has achieved recognition.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM

On a side note, had I not read somewhere that Regent University in VA (formerly CBN University of CBN of Pat Robertson fame) had put in some kind of suit to stop Georgia from using this name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta