Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I had liked the proposed Georgia A&M for Arts and Medicine. Yes, it is a take on the old Agricultrual and Mechanical name of the past, but places like Texas A&M are so far past being an agricultural and mechanical school that the name doesn't mean what it has formerly meant there anyway.

The University of Georgia at Augusta, home of the Medical College of Georgia gives it the proper blend of connection with the state as a whole and doesn't diminish a national prominence. It would be akin to what is in Alabama, the main campus of the U of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa but the state's main medical school is located at UAB (Alabama-Birmingaham). The presence of that medical school is really what put UAB on the map in all areas where it has achieved recognition.
I hope Regents in VA stops the name.

I like Georgia A&M!

My faves now:

Georgia A&M
University of Augusta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,994 times
Those names will be great in the south and in Georgia..but Georgia A&M is such a hickey name.

It would definitely NOT be ok for rebranding our medical school..

Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,113,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Those boards don't get any traffic!

I'm sure a moderator can move the thread if there isn't much discussion here.

I think University of Augusta would've been a better name as well. I love the renamed; University of North Georgia. GHSU was like UCSF. Now they're like UCSF merging with San Francisco State. I just don't get it. What would UCSF do if it were to merge with San Francisco State. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

The data was pulled from Collegeboard. I didn't want to risk what Emory posted, but Emory's score is sort of irrelevant to ASU and GRU..and the USG.
I told the moderators several times the Augusta would become stagnant, and they didn't want to listen. Nobody wants to read nonsense from the trolls every single day.

Hopefully the new university takes out several billboards in metro Atlanta. They have a brand new banner on the inside of Augusta mall.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I told the moderators several times the Augusta would become stagnant, and they didn't want to listen. Nobody wants to read nonsense from the trolls every single day.

Hopefully the new university takes out several billboards in metro Atlanta. They have a brand new banner on the inside of Augusta mall.
GRU has billboards in Atlanta? Can someone from Augusta tell me more about what's actually happening in Augusta for GRU? Have they changed signs or made announcements? Maybe on the radio or newsletters?

Same deal with people near University of North Georgia

Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM

472 posts, read 810,029 times
I'm not sure what Regents U in VA is going to do. I don't think the lawsuit is over.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,041 times
If this lawsuit goes through what do you think the ramification will be on the school and state?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
If this lawsuit goes through what do you think the ramification will be on the school and state?
Get a better name.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,041 times
I wonder when there will be a decision in the matter, I can't find any updates.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Stop griping and let the mods move it if it need be. I for one feel it is important to Atlanta and the state and truth be, the Atlanta forum gets more response than the Augusta forum.
So...what's happenin' in Macon everybody?

Quote:
I posted this on the Augusta forum re the name change some months back, but I think it should be the ONE campus that is affiliated with the University of Georgia and be called the University of Georgia at Augusta, home of the UGA medical school.
If that were the case, why would they merge Augusta State and Georgia Health Science? Sort of complicates things now if they want the medical school to be under UGA. And I doubt Augusta would want that. They'd think it was the first step to moving the school to Athens.

Quote:
At any rate, the horrible Georgia Health Sciences University name is gone. So sad to take a distinguished name like the Medical College of Georgia and make it sound like an 8th grade gym class alternative.
But one of the colleges of GRU will be...The Medical College of Georgia. So the name will remain.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Those names will be great in the south and in Georgia..but Georgia A&M is such a hickey name.

It would definitely NOT be ok for rebranding our medical school..
They could call it ostensibly Georgia Arts & Medical. Over time the Georgia A&M name will stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta