Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I just walked by a few minutes ago. Some concrete has been poured, and some forms are in place for more concrete. Lots of gravel in the parking lot. Can't wait to see this thing going up.
Same here. It's funny to hear people that are already badmouthing this. Most of them haven't been downtown in ages, and it's so obvious that it's embarrassing. Some people can't get excited about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Same here. It's funny to hear people that are already badmouthing this. Most of them haven't been downtown in ages, and it's so obvious that it's embarrassing. Some people can't get excited about anything.
Not surprising considering there's a sizeable contingent of Metro Atlantans that view everything inside I-285 as a ghetto.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
The opening of the wheel has been delayed, Fox 5 reporting this morning.

The amount of rain we have had over the past couple of weeks has slowed the construction.
Dang, I'd like to see them get it up by the 4th.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Not surprising considering there's a sizeable contingent of Metro Atlantans that view everything inside I-285 as a ghetto.
These are the same geniuses that think everything inside I-285 is "downtown." True story.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,102,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
If the Ferris Wheel has the same view as the one from the SE corner of the park at top of the Glenn Hotel, then the view is.going to be CRAZY! That is hands down the best view of the skyline. You.can see downtown, midtown, and buckhead
You can even see Cumberland. The first time I went there and saw that view I stared at it for literally what seemed like an hour. Maybe it was Jack Daniels I.was drinking that night at the Glenn but I almost had to.second guess myself like "is that my city?"

That view makes Atlanta look huge.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
If the Ferris Wheel has the same view as the one from the SE corner of the park at top of the Glenn Hotel, then the view is.going to be CRAZY! That is hands down the best view of the skyline. You.can see downtown, midtown, and buckhead
You can even see Cumberland. The first time I went there and saw that view I stared at it for literally what seemed like an hour. Maybe it was Jack Daniels I.was drinking that night at the Glenn but I almost had to.second guess myself like "is that my city?"

That view makes Atlanta look huge.
I felt the same way about the view of the city from the 17th Street bridge at Bishop. I barely recognized the place

Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
So, if this thing is going to be 20 stories tall, that means it's also going to be 20 stories wide (minus however much ground cleaance it will have). Walking by there today I took a look at the immediate surrounding area. Most of the buildings that are adjacent or within a couple blocks are in the five story range. Picturing something that is 20 stories wide in that area gives you a pretty good sense of how massive this thing is going to be (by Atlanta standards...I know the London Eye is much larger). You'll have to go ten stories up before you reach the widest point, and at that height you're already towering over most of the buildings in the area.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Personally, I think the London Eye ruined the skyline there. I lived there for a time, and to me, the historical sites of Big Ben, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Westminster, etc., were beautiful. The ferris wheel made it seem cartoonish. Sure, the tourists love it, but I assure you the Londoners don't. This opinion has no impact on Atlanta, of course, although I truly don't see people flocking to Atlanta just to ride it. JMHO

Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This opinion has no impact on Atlanta, of course, although I truly don't see people flocking to Atlanta just to ride it. JMHO
Yeah, I don't think that Six Flags has much to worry about.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Personally, I think the London Eye ruined the skyline there. I lived there for a time, and to me, the historical sites of Big Ben, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Westminster, etc., were beautiful. The ferris wheel made it seem cartoonish. Sure, the tourists love it, but I assure you the Londoners don't. This opinion has no impact on Atlanta, of course, although I truly don't see people flocking to Atlanta just to ride it. JMHO
My daughter lives in central London and says that Londoners are generally quite supportive of the Eye. Parisians were initially critical of the Eiffel Tower and Louvre Pyramid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta