Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2022, 12:07 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Certainly interesting. I wouldn't mind an additional competitive option to going to Singapore.

2035 might be an aspirational reality. They are not that large of an airline in terms of total passengers.

They do fly to Washington, Newark, and Chicago.

The uphill battle I see, while Atlanta is a prime destination in the US for East Africans, it's a star alliance airline. This is why they fly to United hubs. Atlanta will not offer much of an advantage to their global partner network to keep the route full.

This makes me skeptical of an Atlanta route, unless they grow to be a much larger airline turning Addia Ababa Dole into more of a global hub, similar to the middle east 3.
I see what you're saying, but they're not that far off.

Ethiopian: 12.7 million pax/year, $5 billion USD revenue, 140 airplanes, 127 destinations

Qatar: 18.5 million pax/year, $14 billion USD revenue, 234 airplanes, 173 destinations

Ethiopia has a big domestic network and a lot of its destinations are small airports across Africa with smaller aircraft, thus lower revenue and smaller operation. But it can compete with Qatar and Turkish for connections to the subcontinent, and has the only one-stop connection from ATL to a ton of small African markets.

Basically it has to take the step up to being a true global airline to make a route like ATL work, while it's like 70% of the way there. I don't see it as that much of an uphill battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 01:04 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
I understand some of your points, but it is much further off than 70%.

Qatar Airways is primarily a long-haul network provider, so it has a better hub and spoke system to attract long-haul customers from as far away as the US going to many other major world destinations.

Qatar's passenger counts pre-pandemic was 32 million passengers/year. The 18 million you cite, includes a large chunk of time from 2021. Ethiopia airlines' 12.7 passengers is their all time high. They have been a quick growing airline, however.

I will welcome them with open arms when the time comes, but I see this being more short-term aspirational.

I would typically recommend trying to attract a Delta flight to Nairobi with Sub-Saharan connections via a Skyteam partner, but it's been a rather stagnant small airline and I'm not sure how much Delta would make on such a long route without more long-range connections to higher priced business cities in Asia, Middle East, and Oceania to get more money flying on the route.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:03 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I see what you're saying, but they're not that far off.

Ethiopian: 12.7 million pax/year, $5 billion USD revenue, 140 airplanes, 127 destinations

Qatar: 18.5 million pax/year, $14 billion USD revenue, 234 airplanes, 173 destinations

Ethiopia has a big domestic network and a lot of its destinations are small airports across Africa with smaller aircraft, thus lower revenue and smaller operation. But it can compete with Qatar and Turkish for connections to the subcontinent, and has the only one-stop connection from ATL to a ton of small African markets.

Basically it has to take the step up to being a true global airline to make a route like ATL work, while it's like 70% of the way there. I don't see it as that much of an uphill battle.
There is a reason ADD will never be DOH or DXB: its hot a high.

All westbound flights have to make stops on their way to the US. The air is so thin at ADD that it cant even make the flight from ADD to IAD nonstop. ET flights stop in Dublin before continuing to the US.

As for ET launching Atlanta, it cant be nonstop so what's the point? If DL wasnt flying to West Africa, Id see more of a case. There next destination will be the resumption of Houston but only via Nigeria if its allowed.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:05 PM

To be clear, I'm not saying Ethiopian is 70% of the size of Qatar. I mean 70% of the way to being a "true global airline" (subjective as that is) capable of making a route like ATL work.

I mean, if they're already flying three routes to Star Alliance hubs in the US that United could never make work (and the same in Toronto on a route Air Canada could never make work) plus a 3x weekly flight to JFK with no domestic partner, then they've stepped way beyond the role of national airline serving mainly their own market, and graduated to junior global airline. If they were to grow their existing operation by half, service to Atlanta is definitely possible.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
There is a reason ADD will never be DOH or DXB: its hot a high.

All westbound flights have to make stops on their way to the US. The air is so thin at ADD that it cant even make the flight from ADD to IAD nonstop. ET flights stop in Dublin before continuing to the US.

As for ET launching Atlanta, it cant be nonstop so what's the point? If DL wasnt flying to West Africa, Id see more of a case. There next destination will be the resumption of Houston but only via Nigeria if its allowed.
The hot/high issues are a better argument against it, which is why Ethiopian is trying to build up operations in Nigeria as you point out.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:12 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
The hot/high issues are a better argument against it, which is why Ethiopian is trying to build up operations in Nigeria as you point out.
Right, that was my point. That's why ET will never be able to compete with QR, TK, and EK.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:30 PM

689 posts, read 638,689 times
If the goal is to connect to East Africa, I wonder if Kenya Airways would fit the bill. They are SkyTeam. They just relaunched service to JFK and they have good connections up and down the East African coast.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:44 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
If the goal is to connect to East Africa, I wonder if Kenya Airways would fit the bill. They are SkyTeam. They just relaunched service to JFK and they have good connections up and down the East African coast.
Delta had a flight planned to Nairobi nonstop from Atlanta; it was canceled at the last minute. Kenya is an excellent one stop connection to Asia countries.
https://www.ajc.com/business/delta-a...4x0uSxxVEZzoN/

Old 12-28-2022, 02:49 PM

Will Atlanta benefit from Southwest Airlines' meltdown? They cut a lot of Air Tran flights after the merger, and they also have a lot of gate capacity at ATL on Concourse C to expand.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:45 AM

Delta was the first carrier to implement the hub and spoke system back in the day. Hence the mammoth Atlanta hub. Couple with Delta IT management. This ranking shows Delta ranked as #1 - most on-time carrier at 84%

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/delt...t_source=email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta