Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Would it have been justifiable if the shooter had been a cop or a security guard or some neighborhood watch guy?

It's pretty clear from the video that the shooter had time to turn around and shoot the guy in the back after he was already across the street.

Bear in mind that before this happened, the robber had already approached another man who also pulled a gun on the robber and said, "Oh, no, not today."

It doesn't look like the guy standing beside the shooter was too upset, either. He's just standing there with his hands in his pockets, watching things go down.
Actually, the thief never even went into the street. He's clearly still on the sidewalk when the shots were fired, as you can easily tell by the white stripe on the street, and the dark color of the roadway compared to the light color of the sidewalk.

So, what is "pretty clear" to you could very well be significantly different from what actually happened.

Last edited by JPD; 06-24-2013 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
look, call it self-defense or not, that's not for the officer to decide on the spot— that's the job of a judge and jury. hell, if you're pulled over by a cop and given a ticket, you can't negotiate with them— what do they say? "tell that to the judge". and they can decide whether or not a shooting is in self-defense on the spot?
It is still up to a grand jury to decide whether to indict him or not after the police send the case to the DA office so it's not up to the police alone. They just decide if charges should be pressed or not.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Actually, the thief never even went into the street. He's clearly still on the sidewalk when the shots were fired, as you can easily tell by the white stripe on the street.

So, what is "pretty clear" to you can and should be called into question.
I see. I was thinking that stretch of pavement was the street, but I guess it's just a driveway or extension of the sidewalk.

The point I'm making is that the thief is clearly fleeing the scene and is at least 10-15 feet away when he is shot in the back.

Is that self-defense? What danger is the gunman facing at that point? Notice that the guy next to the shooter is just standing there with his hands in his pockets, in no apparent fear. Also notice that the shooter had to turn around in order to get the thief in his sights.

Would people complain if the shooter was a cop or a security guard or some neighborhood watch guy?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 AM

259 posts, read 394,260 times
Quote:
I see. I was thinking that stretch of pavement was the street, but I guess it's just a driveway or extension of the sidewalk.

The point I'm making is that the thief is clearly fleeing the scene and is at least 10-15 feet away when he is shot in the back.

Is that self-defense? What danger is the gunman facing at that point? Notice that the guy next to the shooter is just standing there with his hands in his pockets, in no apparent fear. Also notice that the shooter had to turn around in order to get the thief in his sights.

Would people complain if the shooter was a cop or a security guard or some neighborhood watch guy?
No, they wouldn't.

Why let this guy run down the street so he can turn around and shoot someone or shoot someone later? That is silly.

Last edited by Strangejelly; 06-24-2013 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,770 times
Quote:
What's beautiful about shooting some guy in the back from across the street as he's running away?
We have no way of knowing if he was actually running away or if he was running for cover. Don't forget the robber had a gun himself and could just as easily turned around and fired or stepped behind a wall and started shooting.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Another embarrassing story that puts Atlanta in the negative light nation wide...Soon, people are going to be grouping Atlanta with Detroit and Chicago.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I certainly wouldn't complain if the person had already threatened people with a gun no matter who was doing the shooting.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Another embarrassing story that puts Atlanta in the negative light nation wide...Soon, people are going to be grouping Atlanta with Detroit and Chicago.
Most of the shootings in Chicago that receive attention are about innocent people getting shot. This story isn't similar to that at all. A person running around robbing people at gun point getting shot will probably reduce crime in the future, not increase it.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
We cannot sit here and judge people for what they spend their money on. This is a free country and people are entitled to buy whatever they want. No one on here is judging people for buying luxury cars, when a KIA does the same thing? If someone wants to spend $180 of shoes, then that's their choice.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
We cannot sit here and judge people for what they spend their money on. This is a free country and people are entitled to buy whatever they want. No one on here is judging people for buying luxury cars, when a KIA does the same thing? If someone wants to spend $180 of shoes, then that's their choice.
Well, I think we could if it was people on welfare or food stamps(not saying anything about this particular instance whatsoever, just in general). If people had that kind of money to spend on anything that is 5-10 times more than similarly functioning similar products then they obviously have enough $ that they don't need help from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta