Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I see. I was thinking that stretch of pavement was the street, but I guess it's just a driveway or extension of the sidewalk.

The point I'm making is that the thief is clearly fleeing the scene and is at least 10-15 feet away when he is shot in the back.

Is that self-defense? What danger is the gunman facing at that point? Notice that the guy next to the shooter is just standing there with his hands in his pockets, in no apparent fear. Also notice that the shooter had to turn around in order to get the thief in his sights.

Would people complain if the shooter was a cop or a security guard or some neighborhood watch guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
No, they wouldn't.

Why let this guy run down the street so he can turn around and shoot someone or shoot someone later? That is silly.
Yes, some would. If the guy is fleeing, then he is no longer posing a threat to the shooter. As far as I know, you can't legally shoot someone who is not posing a current threat. The guy was running away, was he not. That's not a threat.

Would you support the shooter if he decided 5 seconds later instead to start running after the guy then shot him on the next block? If so, why? Just because he took out someone who he determined to be a threat to someone else?

I get the whole "he took out some thug who was a menace to society" line of thinking, but you can't kill everyone you perceive to be a menace, or even if they have been a menace and are now running away. It's no longer self defense if they are running away.

I wonder how many of the people supporting this, support the case in Texas of the guy killing the prostitute who took his money.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM

259 posts, read 394,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yes, some would. If the guy is fleeing, then he is no longer posing a threat to the shooter. As far as I know, you can't legally shoot someone who is not posing a current threat. The guy was running away, was he not. That's not a threat.

Would you support the shooter if he decided 5 seconds later instead to start running after the guy then shot him on the next block? If so, why? Just because he took out someone who he determined to be a threat to someone else?

I get the whole "he took out some thug who was a menace to society" line of thinking, but you can't kill everyone you perceive to be a menace, or even if they have been a menace and are now running away. It's no longer self defense if they are running away.

I wonder how many of the people supporting this, support the case in Texas of the guy killing the prostitute who took his money.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
I am not going to defend someone who has the balls to pull a gun out and THREATEN THE LIFE of innocent people. Someone pulls a gun on you with the possible intent to kill you your first though isn't the "law" it's fight or flight. How was the guy who just held up and threatened the lives of all those people not a threat? Do you know what he was about to do? How do you know he wasn't about to turn around and do what HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO DO and shoot you? How do you know he wasn't running to back up?

The prostitue didn't threaten that Texas guy's life. She wasn't a physical threat.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM

I don't get the mentality that someone can threaten your life with a gun and then perceivably go in another direction and they are now innocent and not a danger anymore. How often have people ran away just shoot from a distance or hide and take cover?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM

If decide to start robbing people are gun point I am going to ready to accept the possibility that someone would meet me with the same force.

If I am going to be "about that life" then I need to be ready to die with it.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
How was the guy who just held up and threatened the lives of all those people not a threat? Do you know what he was about to do? How do you know he wasn't about to turn around and do what HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO DO and shoot you? How do you know he wasn't running to back up?
Eeeeeeexactly. No one knows what he was going to do. He was running the other direction. He wasn't pointing his gun at anyone anymore, thus not a threat at that time.

I have absolutely no problem with the shooter having his gun pointed at the guy, finger on the trigger, ready to take him out if he makes any move indicating that he planned another attack. But to shoot him in the back while he's running away, nope. I don't have the same "take out the thug" mentality that many do. Sorry about that.

EDIT: At what point would you determine the guy wasn't a threat any more. If the shooter saw the guy on the sidewalk the next day, could he just shoot and kill him knowing that the day before he threatened lives?

Also: don't think that I'm fully supporting the robber guy here.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Like people standing in line for a $200-500 iPhone
Or $80,000 Mercedes!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
The dead guy has a rap sheet a mile long:

Fulton County Inmates

Self defense, or not, I can't say, but good riddance regardless.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I certainly wouldn't complain if the person had already threatened people with a gun no matter who was doing the shooting.
Why do I think there would be a hue and cry if I'd whipped out my weapon and shot this man in the back several times from 15 feet away as he was fleeing the scene?

Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Fulton County Inmates

He would still be a threat to society if he was picking flowers. I consider myself a liberal hippie but people like that don't respect our lives. People should shoot these losers more often.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Fulton County Inmates

Agreed.

It's amazing that people can be arrested a zillion times -- often for violent offenses -- and put right back on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta