Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Respect for police officers is a critical survival skill that any parent should instill in their kids. Even if they are wrong, you must comply. That's what the courts are for. There really is no better way to run things.

I remember watching this video when all the Furgeson mess was going on and this lady was expressing sadness that she was going to have to tell her kids to be careful around cops and be extra respectful in order to make sure they don't get in trouble. She was black and the implication was she had to do this because her kids were black.

NO. Everyone has to do this... EVERYONE. I was told this as a privileged white kid growing up on a farm. It has also helped me in a few situations not get in trouble. If I hadn't of said sir and been completely compliant, I would have a criminal record by now. While I know there are injustices out there, I've seen them, I just can't help but think that the majority of the claims of discrimination would be completely avoided if the "victim" would have approached the situation respectfully.
Agreed. Not escalating a situation all by yourself, helps you not be dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:24 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,588 times
Quote:
While I know there are injustices out there, I've seen them, I just can't help but think that the majority of the claims of discrimination would be completely avoided if the "victim" would have approached the situation respectfully.
I love the following quote and try to let my attitude reflect it. Most claims of discrimination are just an attempt to make the opposing party look bad.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,751 times
so what about the black guy that was running around naked in an apartment complex and not to mention unarmed...was that justified?...another unnecessary lost of life. I guess the police are now trained to shoot first and ask questions later.

Police officer shoots, kills unarmed, naked man in DeKalb County | www.wsbtv.com

Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Agreed. Not escalating a situation all by yourself, helps you not be dead.
Right. If you're surrounded by six people with guns the stupidest thing you can do is try to attack one of them. I think it's pretty pathetic of these journalists to refer to him as unarmed. He was trying to lead them on a high speed chase in a two thousand pound machine that can top 160. He could have killed any innocent driver or pedestrian on the road. I feel zero sympathy for anyone who has tried to flee three times. Good riddance.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
so what about the black guy that was running around naked in an apartment complex and not to mention unarmed...was that justified?...another unnecessary lost of life. I guess the police are now trained to shoot first and ask questions later.

Police officer shoots, kills unarmed, naked man in DeKalb County | www.wsbtv.com

I just brought this up. I totally don't think this was justified. he was crazy and naked.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I just brought this up. I totally don't think this was justified. he was crazy and naked.
I so don't get that one either.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I so don't get that one either.
For reasons I don't understand the cases that are more obvious go unnoticed. There was a recent case where the cops were in a dimly lit hall of an apartment building in NYC. A black man came around the corner and the cop immediately fired two rounds in his chest. No one noticed. No protests. No hash tags. Nothing more than a passing mention in the media.

There was another where a cop pulled over a black man and asked for his I.D.. The guy reached for his wallet and the cop blasted him. He said he thought the guy was reaching for a gun. Why does everyone know Michael Brown's name and not his?

These journalists are having a very negative effect on their cause.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:50 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post

There was another where a cop pulled over a black man and asked for his I.D.. The guy reached for his wallet and the cop blasted him. He said he thought the guy was reaching for a gun. Why does everyone know Michael Brown's name and not his?
That one was clearly twisted and an over reaction by the cops. For the life of me I can't understand why people latch on to criminals as victims when there are so many better examples out there.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
That one was clearly twisted and an over reaction by the cops. For the life of me I can't understand why people latch on to criminals as victims when there are so many better examples out there.
I don't get it. I've brought Kathryn Johnston up in conversation with several people who were slandering innocent cops and none of them knew her name. They're delusional.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:09 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,164 times
Yep. It just makes me ignore the efforts of protestors. So many are total sheep and their outrage is borderline foolish.

There is a problem with some cops and it needs to be resolved. I hate the militarization of police. But so many of these idiot protestors do nothing but hurt their cause. I know the media seeks out the dumb ones, but the size of protests for the wrong people is telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta