Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:56 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
No asterisk necessary:

(snip)
Those are individual circumstances. Not the overall pattern. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:02 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Those are individual circumstances. Not the overall pattern. Try again.
regardless, the precedent is set so that if you act crazy the cops will shoot you.

Now the overall pattern, where the cops will interact with a black man more than they will with other races or genders, I don't disagree with.

But shootings generally don't happen unless things escalate. If they do, then yes, everyone needs to be screaming and hollering about that, but a guy trying to evade arrest isn't my poster-child for that scenario.

If your papers are straight, and your attitude is in check, I have your back. But if not, well - you helped bring your own situation about, and I don't care if you are black, white, green, male, female, transgendered etc. Actions have consequences.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Quote:
regardless, the precedent is set so that if you act crazy the cops will shoot you.

Now the overall pattern, where the cops will interact with a black man more than they will with other races or genders, I don't disagree with.
OK good, so at least you acknowledge that.

Quote:
But shootings generally don't happen unless things escalate. If they do, then yes, everyone needs to be screaming and hollering about that, but a guy trying to evade arrest isn't my poster-child for that scenario.

If your papers are straight, and your attitude is in check, I have your back. But if not, well - you helped bring your own situation about, and I don't care if you are black, white, green, male, female, transgendered etc. Actions have consequences.
Now wait a minute. That's blaming the victim. As I clearly said, had he been tased and cuffed, this story wouldn't have made it past the local news. But the officer made a choice to shoot to kill. And any officer who is not in complete control of his choices at all times has no duty wearing his or her badge. Period. It makes zero difference how "disrespectful" a suspect is. Punishment for disrespect is for the courts to sort out, not the police.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Translation: Flaunting the authority of a police officer is grounds for summary execution.*

* - If you're a black or brown male.

Do not assume that you know what racism is unless you are a target of it.

Exactly. If Anthony Hill really were an imminent danger to the policeman's life--and considering that he was naked, that's a hard sell for me--the officer should have used a taser, slapped the cuffs on him, and hauled him off to jail. Had the officer done this, this story would have never made it past the local news. But instead, the officer chose to escalate the situation to that of lethal force where it was not necessary.
No, the translation is that you shouldn't tick off someone with a gun.

Do not assume things are racism. I remember NBC sending a bunch of 12 year old black kids into a jewelry store and said, "See its racism. They watched them and wanted them to leave." Of course, it would have been the same if it were 12 year old white kids. I got followed around in department stores when I was in the 16-21 year range. Males that age, regardless of color, tend to get watched. I didn't get mad. I found it amusing, because with family in retail, I was probably the least likely person in the store to shoplift. I told an officer I didn't run a stop sign when he told me that was why he stopped me and he started to get authoritarian and agitated, so I de-escalated. These things happen to people who aren't black.

The saying is you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. The reverse is true. If you are all pith and vinegar, some negative things can happen. Its just basic human nature.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,937 times
Quote:
the very fact that he jumped in a car in an attempt to flee, put him on the wrong side of the cops. Not the fact that he was black. not the fact that he wasn't moving.

Things went pear-shaped long before he hit the curb. And actions have consequences. We may not like them, but as long as Cops can carry guns and use them as necessary to keep "order", this will probably happen.

So maybe don't tempt fate, comply, and sort it out through the courts.
Seeing as though neither one of us was there, lets not let our sempathetic or anti-sempathetic biases determine what he did or didn't do. Even though I wouldn't have done what he did. Saying he tempted fate is just like saying that they should have let him drive off and gotten out of the way. If they found him at work to serve a warrant then its obvious he wasn't hiding. They know his address.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Now wait a minute. That's blaming the victim. As I clearly said, had he been tased and cuffed, this story wouldn't have made it past the local news. But the officer made a choice to shoot to kill. And any officer who is not in complete control of his choices at all times has no duty wearing his or her badge. Period. It makes zero difference how "disrespectful" a suspect is. Punishment for disrespect is for the courts to sort out, not the police.

See, from my perspective, you stop being a "victim" of anything, when you are being approached for arrest on a warrant, and you run, much less steal a car and try to drive off in traffic. You have officially graduated to aggressor, because there are other innocent bystanders that may or may not be affected in a bad way, because you're being messy. No Victimhood there.

Now had he as you said, been cuffed, and then tased, or shot, or whatever after he had already complied, then yes, I agree...victim.

(and I did have to deal with a situation like that in the not too recent past. I completely agree that persons's rights were violated)

Old 03-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I bet the protests start soon...
And you should go....

Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Seeing as though neither one of us was there, lets not let our sempathetic or anti-sempathetic biases determine what he did or didn't do. Even though I wouldn't have done what he did. Saying he tempted fate is just like saying that they should have let him drive off and gotten out of the way. If they found him at work to serve a warrant then its obvious he wasn't hiding. They know his address.
I think the minute you start acting irrationally when a person with a gun (and all the legal power to use it), you tempt fate. Who you may be (black, white, male, female) makes no difference,. You are acting irrationally.

If he had run into a streetfight and these were just some thugs trying to kill him, that one thing - I can see jumping in cars and speeding away, or bowing up or whatever. But when it's someone on the job, and they are coming at you in an official capacity, it's a whole different set of behaviors.

And maybe that's the problem, folks think you act to a police officer the same way you'd act with that thug on the corner. And maybe cops aren't anything but jackbooted thugs. But they are the ones with the legal right to be. I have no problem deferring to that, unless they well and truly violate my rights. And then - I will comply until my first opportunity to lawyer up.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Translation: Flaunting the authority of a police officer is grounds for summary execution.*

* - If you're a black or brown male.
I think

Flaunting the authority of a police officer is a bad idea regardless of race/color/creed/sex/etc.

is a good general statement. It's what I was taught, and it would help almost anyone regardless of skin color.

The exposure that some people have due to their genetic makeup is unjust and unacceptable, but the triggering behavior is avoidable.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,588 times
Quote:
OK good, so at least you acknowledge that.

Now wait a minute. That's blaming the victim.
It's blaming the perpetrator. He was tried and convicted of trying to run over a cop before and he tried to turn a cop into a victim again. He didn't think twice before risking the lives of others by fleeing for a third time. The police were removing a threat to the lives of others.

It's scary that a cop killing a violent criminal gets more airplay than a violent criminal killing a cop. These people are risking their lives to make the world a safer place and people twist thing every way they can to paint these heroes as murderers.

The main reason cops kill black men more often than others is that black are much more likely to try to kill a cop, or any other citizen. This is not my opinion. Almost 100% of murders in Atlanta are commited by black men. People might not like hearing this, but it is the cold, hard truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta