Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

I am sure the supporters of this bill are working very hard right now to see that it passes next session. They'll get a lot done in the next eight months and will roll in loaded for bear. They only need a handful of additional votes.

What is the opposition doing to prepare for this?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I have stated it before but will again. This bill is not about discrimination.
If that is the case, then why is there any objection to inserting language to say exactly that?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:35 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am sure the supporters of this bill are working very hard right now to see that it passes next session. They'll get a lot done in the next eight months and will roll in loaded for bear. They only need a handful of additional votes.
It seems to me that they had the votes this time, but there are simply enough right-minded Republicans that will ensure that anti-discrimination language is included. The trend toward support for that language is on the rise, as far as I can see, especially given how much many (albeit not all) supporters of the bill claim that discrimination is not what the bill is about (and therefore there isn't a rational basis to object to the amendment). I've got to figure that if Indiana actually passes anti-discrimination language after the discriminatory bill passes without it, and Arkansas revises the bill to include anti-discrimination language after it passes its legislature but before it is signed, then Georgia hopefully would be able to retain the amendment in the bill before it is even passed.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Jesus made it very clear that every single one of the laws in the Old Testament are valid until the end of time. There is no pick-and-choose.

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)

2) "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)
Jesus would never support this kind of legislation. He would more likely go into the legislature and drive out those who seek to harm the vulnerable.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:58 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Quote:
Jesus would never support this kind of legislation. He would more likely go into the legislature and drive out those who seek to harm the vulnerable.
Although he did speak in a way that would have some believe that, I'm not certain that would be the case. He did insist that every old law was to be followed til the end of time. He preached peace, but his view on the old laws makes me doubt that he was all about peace.

He did say that he did not come to bring peace, but the sword. I'm fairly certain Biblical literalists will forsake their proclaimed stance by saying that he was using metaphor or that I'm taking it out of context.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,264 times
If you want religious freedom legislation passed, it's now been made crystal clear that you have to do it in a way that ensures it doesn't open the door for people or businesses to use it as an excuse for discriminatory behavior. If your intention is really ensuring religious liberty and not a desire to let people kick gays out of their restaurants, you should have no objection to that. It was extremely eye-opening when supporters of the bill vehemently argued against an anti-discrimination amendment. I try to assume that people have good intentions in government, generally, but I think that opposition belied their claims that the bill was not about codifying discrimination into law.

Next year, McKoon gets behind legislation that bars discrimination in housing, employment, public accommodation, on the basis of sexual orientation; I'll support his religious freedom bill.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:32 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,465 times
Quote:
Jesus made it very clear that every single one of the laws in the Old Testament are valid until the end of time. There is no pick-and-choose.

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)

2) "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)
OK If we must go there.

Its not a matter of picking and choosing but understanding that there is more to the story. As I said before, the Bible doesn't end with Deuteronomy. Subsequent events changed the story and changed the reality for those who put their faith in God.

Jesus gave a higher law. As He stated in that same chapter of Matthew, to even look at a woman with lust is to have already committed adultery. So rather than counting up shekels when around virgins, a follower of Christ today is instructed to control their thoughts (among other things) and in doing so, completely fulfilling the law of Deuteronomy 22.

Last edited by J2rescue; 04-04-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,465 times
Quote:
If that is the case, then why is there any objection to inserting language to say exactly that?
I don't know the specifics of what is going on under the Gold Dome. My point is that no business owner is seeking to turn away business based on sexual orientation. That would be foolish and that's not what this bill is about. It is about gay marriage and business owners being threatened with lawsuits, fines and jail for choosing to not participate in them based on their own beliefs.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:59 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
OK If we must go there.

Its not a matter of picking and choosing but understanding that there is more to the story. As I said before, the Bible doesn't end with Deuteronomy. Subsequent events changed the story and changed the reality for those who put their faith in God.

Jesus gave a higher law. As He stated in that same chapter of Matthew, to even look at a woman with lust is to have already committed adultery. So rather than counting up shekels when around virgins, a follower of Christ today is instructed to control their thoughts (among other things) and in doing so, completely fulfilling the law of Deuteronomy 22.
None of what you're talking about has anything to do with the topic; Georgia's religious freedom bill.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:55 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta